My New Audio Nirvana Drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
yea, I have a buddy at work who is hot for the augmented 1 way thing. Basically something running 100hz up to 8khz, with sub and supertweet. It has merit. You pick your poison for a smaller driver that theoretically gets up higher better or you move some air and struggle for dispersion and highs.

Ideally there is no whizzer, like the von schweikert unifield line.

I'd go for it, but I like to move some air.

Transparency, detail, distortion, dynamics, how does it sound on voice, how does it sound with music, ug..........

So many ways to enjoy this stuff.

Norman

Last edited:
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Hifish's Sonido speakers - diyaudio.rs

index.php

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I already wrote enough of Sonido here , so I;m bloody puzzled why they are not paying me for PR duties :rofl:

they upped prices recently , but they're still enormous bang for the buck

FR drivers doesn't have tiniest details Lowthers have , but they also don;t have Lowther's problems

but - it's easy to add pair of Fountek NEO CD3.5 on top , and gain that last breath of air

besides that - they make 10" and 12" (almost) FR , and their bass spks are made as old school ones - efficient , with low moving mass , fast as devil

I sold both pairs of 8" FR I had , but sold them to friends , for same or lower price that I paid - just because I head in another direction ........ and still have some older FR's ....... for resting on shelf

What is not so good with the drivers ?

Melon Head, did you use the freq shaping circuit with the seas fr22 8" driver ?
Even if you did, there is still a 4db spike at 3khz, but otherwise should be a fine driver.

Nelson Pass
"I like it with amplifiers having a lower damping factor, maybe 2 to 4, and
usually tweak the top end with a little RC loading across the terminals.

I think you can do better, but not at the price. And of course you can add
a sub and a good high frequency driver."

Norman

First off. I never said the Seas Full Ranges are bad. I am saying the Audio Nirvana speakers are better. I should qualify that statement by saying that I have only heard the 15 cast frame and the 10" neodymium because that is what I own

What I am hearing with these speakers are sounds that are so realistic it feels like you are not listening to speakers but to musicians in your house.

Brushes on snare sound like real brushes on snare, xylophone sounds like a real xylophone, piano sounds like a real piano.
I am sure I will find weakneses with these speakers but I have not found any yet.

I think the 10" Neo might have a touch of a hashy sound, and if so it seems to be mellowing out with more play time but definintely not the 15"s. The 15"s are very smooth
I would rather listen to these speakers than listen to headphones. Definitely like these speakers more than AKG k701.
Not sure about Denon AH-D5000 though (They are my favourite headphones)

The reason I like them more than headphones because the sounds are so realistic it feels like you have the band in your house. I don't get that feeling with headphones.

I am sure I will find weaknesses with them. I just have not had the chance to listen to a variety of music yet. I will definitely let you know.

EDIT: I also need to start playing with the Radian 475pb more. I will get that going more, once the baffles are complete. The beauty of it is, that one of the wave guides I have fits the same cut-out as the 10" on the baffle. I have a feeling this horn may indeed be better than the 10" I just need more time.

Last edited:
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
You heard the bigger ones and do you think the 8" is the sweet spot?

quite logical - 8" have more details than bigger ones , but bigger ones have more authority .......

whatever , I'm finding that pictured combo is hard to beat - 8" baffleless , 12" bass helper in MLTL

pretty nice blending , with just 8mH on bass and 47uF on FR ; no attenuation of EQ anywhere

mentioned ribbon helper can top up as cherry on cake

not for me no. the frequencies of the repetition are going to be mostly under 1khz, full range problems start much higher than that i think. most woofer can produce a fairly musically pleasing response up to 1000-1500hz. its when it gets 3khz+ that problems really annoy me. i'm not a big listener to electronic music so can't really think of equivalents.

it needs to be more 'trance' than dub-step for it to show up any problems in higher frequency production.

if you filter out the everything after 1500hz from the daft punk song, you're not left with an awful lot. take out everything under it and you still have all that high frequency blend.

Gustav Holst - Choral Hymns from the Rig Veda, Op. 26 and Two Eastern Pictures (1911) - YouTube

that has the problem in being incredibly slow, but sweeps through a wide range of frequencies. after the FANE failed the daft punk test, it wasn't really a shock to find it couldn't do any justice to that. i'd hope the AN15's would really shine at the above, especially 12:19 onwards.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.