My New Audio Nirvana Drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Probably going to try this open baffle next.

Attachments

• intro-2-large.jpg
    intro-2-large.jpg
    290 KB · Views: 228
je labs ?

Compression drivers not on a horn, not my cup of tea.

But the Urei, those are my earl grey.
Time aligned, but huge box.

Norman

You misunderstand. I am not going to copy the speakers.
I am just copying the baffle design and construction to see what the difference might between a narrow baffle and wide baffle with wings.
Still using 1 x 10 and 2 x 15 per speaker. So mine will be taller

OBL11-baffle

After that I will consider building something for the compression driver
Probably buy one of these horns
Azurahorn -Le Cleac'h Acoustic Horn Loudspeakers

Last edited:
It's all relative. The cable is short so it is probably not much of an issue.
In addition the speakers are high effieciency so the current is very small under normal listening conditions.
If Troels reckons it is ok I am not going to argue. He has built more speakers than most people build in a life time.

Last edited:
fair enough! I used 1mm diameter cable for my 12" audionirvana drivers, then again, it was ~1m cable length... But i chose it more for mechanical rigidity rather than power handling. Last time i tried the 8" audionirvana drivers, i couldn't hear my thoughts and it was from a 7 W amp...

The L'clearch seems to be an awesome horn.
But it is a tractrix horn, meaning you get about a decade out of it (3 octaves), the dispersion gets really narrow after that.

My money would be on the geddes oblate spheroid, or the stereo lab's stuff, or even I've been tempted for some of the newest jbl's (2374 and especially the 2384) but they are MASSIVE, 6" wide and a couple inchs taller than mine.

Norman

I am just copying the baffle design and construction to see what the difference might between a narrow baffle and wide baffle with wings. Still using 1 x 10 and 2 x 15 per speaker.

I would be interested to hear your impressions of a single AN15 in OB to start with.

Running a 2nd AN15 as a woofer does limit you in terms of power doesn't it - because of Xmax ?

This thread talks about one option to improve on the excursion limitation: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/148303-emerald-physics.html#post1893163

Last edited:
I think it would be hilarious to put a single an15 on a 4' x 4', have the center of the driver lower than the middle. That, sitting on the floor, should go deep for an open baffle.

I know there will be zero intoxicating front wall bounce that makes for some real sound. The brain likes when the music played (reflections) matches the room you are in. Just some weird thoughts of mine.

But people comment on huge baffles having a "black hole of sound" between the drivers. You'd lose the wall reflection that hits the front wall then comes back at you between the speakers. That's why I like open baffles 6' from the wall. That'd give you a 12mS delay (nice). Thats also why I like the foam box around the back of the driver so I can put it closer to the wall.

I thought of maybe mounting various drivers on 4' x 4' boards, then hanging them on industrial wire racks (like 4' - 6' wide, maybe 6' or taller). You can roll them around or even roll them away when not in use. Might make for a neat ambiophonics demonstrator. Since ambio, I have a hard time listening in stereo. Also I rearrange big boxes too often, and would need way more amplifiers.

Norman

I think it would be hilarious to put a single an15 on a 4' x 4', have the center of the driver lower than the middle. That, sitting on the floor, should go deep for an open baffle.

but it puts your tweeter well below ear height, meaning the baffle has to angle upwards - a bit of a compromise that I don't like.

I have a hard time listening in stereo.

I am finding more and more that stereo sounds 'false' to my ears. I tend to enjoy it most as a novelty sat at my computer screen but for music I'm heading down the mono path just to see where it leads....

I am finding more and more that stereo sounds 'false' to my ears. I tend to enjoy it most as a novelty sat at my computer screen but for music I'm heading down the mono path just to see where it leads....

uh... unless you are listening to music that comes from point source (eg solo voice - with the requirement the singer doesn't move their head, solo electric guitar), you can't accurately reproduce how it sounds just with one speaker. Hell, even solo piano would sound ... just plain ol' wrong with a single speaker. With a band, it goes all to hell. Full blown orchestra? no. way.

edit: if listening to stereo sounds 'off' to your ears, go listen to a live orchestra some time. Or reposition your speakers, i dunno...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.