My MOSFET amplifier designed for music

Joined 2017
Paid Member
Output inductors aren't really detrimental in any way and they do provide an additional layer of safety. If the layout and construction of the amp is good then it almost certainly would be fine without the inductor as long as the 0.22 ohm series output R of the original was preserved.

Out of curiosity, I ran some square 0.5V 20kHz wave simulations in an 8Ω with a 1μ capacitive load. The response of the series only resistor vs inductor is interesting. Both do address the issue. This does seem to further suggest that the inductor isn't necessary as long as the series resistor is used - though the responses are different. I also looked at the response if the series resistor is lowered from 0.22Ω to 0.1Ω - This does not sufficiently dampen the ringing.

No Capacitive Loading.jpg
No Inductor or Resistor.jpg
Inductor and Resistor.jpg
Resistor without inductor.jpg

Attachments

• Inductor and Resistor.jpg
    Inductor and Resistor.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 60
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Indeed so :)

In the 'Inductor Network and Series Output Resistor' the distorted shape you see is purely at the output end of the coil, the amplifier output itself will be an undistorted version. Adding the coil juts makes it bulletproof no matter what you dangle on the end.

You can play around with resistors and coils in simulation without the amp.

Screenshot 2023-04-07 181620.png

Try this. Use the .par line on the sim to change rise time, frequency and amplitude:

Screenshot 2023-04-07 182535.png

Attachments

• Square Wave Test.asc
    1.2 KB · Views: 64
Joined 2017
Paid Member
One other observation - depending on the design an series output resistor may not dampen capacitive ringing at all capacitive loads. Your design does seem to do this, but in other designs I tinkered with, it worked well for larger capacitive loading, but did not fair will with lighter loading.

So as you stated, better to add the coil if you want to be on the safer side.

Thank you, Mr. Mooly, and all the contributors. We are gathered here for the same hobbies. First of all, English is not my native language (using translation software), and this is also my first time posting here
After studying the published PCB, I made this amplifier last month and also conducted some testing on it. The indicators were very good, and it was posted for future reference.
Overall layout
3.jpg
output DC 0.1mv
zd.jpg
SNR AC0.3mv
微信图片_20231106135647.jpg

rmaa test
rmaa.png
fs.png
thd+n.png
imd.png n.png

Attachments

• pcb.jpg
    pcb.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 180
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 209
Reactions: 2 users
Thanks for posting and I'm really pleased you are enjoying the amp. You have done a good job there.:)
Thank you for the compliment, Mr. mooly, I still have a puzzle, the amplifier takes a bit long to establish the working point, there will be a "buzzing" sound when it is turned on, it is an AC sound, it takes 1 minute to disappear, and I have not modified the parameters of the electronic components

to brian92fs
The AC on my side is 220v, 50hz:giggle:

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
The operating point should fully settle after around 8 seconds and this is confirmed by the DC offset settling at 0.00 volts. It takes that long because of the time constant of the servo used for biasing and is the reason I stress the need for a reliable speaker relay delay on the speaker outputs. It should not take any longer.

If you switch on with no speakers connected and then wait a few seconds and then connect the speaker you should not hear any noises. If you do then something is amiss in the construction somewhere.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Pin 4 of the TLO71 is the negative supply rail, pin 6 is an output voltage and would be in the -5 to -6 region on a correctly working amp.

R5 is the current setting resistor in the constant current source and will always have around 0.6 volts across the resistor. I'm not really understanding what you are asking :)

Screenshot 2023-11-24 180202.png

Forgive my English level, in #1434 I described the problem of long work point establishment, although I solved it with electronic filtering + CRC, but this problem is still there, I wonder if it is the cause of low voltage? For example, the R5 (100R) is only 580mv, and the opa pin6 output is only -5.02v?

az.jpg

Also: After adding electronic filtering, the auditory timbre has changed, but I personally like it

Attachments

• 111.png
    111.png
    69.7 KB · Views: 114