♫♪ My little cheap Circlophone© ♫♪

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Evaquad

dear Elvee!
some time ago Eva published a schematic of mosfet amp (IRF540/9540 if I remember correct...) with her input quad
but now there is no sign of it...
do you remember her design or do you have that schematic?

Hi Pawel, You also have the opportunity to ask to Eva directly (she's back on this forum in January 2016)
diyAudio - View Profile: Eva

nothing compares it with quasi. Maybe its better as i think. :p
Even though output devices are still same/same polarity, there is a difference between a Class AB amplifier (like a normal quasi) and a Class AA amplifier (like Circlophone).

What the Circlophone can do better is broader (lifelike) dynamic spread, "Elvee Watts" are incredibly effective and there's a nearly negative noise floor. You can hear.

I didn't know what I was missing until I used a Circlophone. After that, the fact that I made my TDA7293 imitate what I liked about the Circlophone, doesn't detract from the Circlophone at all. In fact, I have to keep it around as a comparison tool to help me check and see if my current project has performed passably in the areas that Circlophone does best. It is helpful to check that.

Sonic signature of the Circlophone that I built (the simple version, not Piersma's) is located at the lower treble, which is much less noticeable than a typical Class AB amplifier directly on ear sensitivity peak frequencies. The disadvantage of my simple sample is that it does have a sonic signature. I have to note that it wasn't very loud and didn't cause any serious interference to the music. The advantage of different frequency (at my sample of Circlophone) is that there's NO blare (an ear is not hindered). It doesn't occupy the frequencies for that.

I'm looking forward to hearing Piersma's refinements, at some point after I have managed to pay for it (he didn't tell me yet). What I desire is pretty much the same thing, except with the sonic signature at less amplitude. Even the notion of that was worth the purchase, that I'm still trying to complete. No rush, I'm just checking in so I didn't miss it.

Also, if that notion works, I'll probably send a tip/prezzy to Elvee, not only because that is the proper thing to do (every Circlophone is still his), but also because it could be fun. In that case (whenever I have benefited by his design), then I ought to figure a prezzy that I like, is useful and is non-boring.

Last edited:
thanks for the response,

how about this reinvention of circlo :wave2s: :D :wave2s: <-- satellite, satellite :rain:

i want it simple as possible. :wave2s: :D :wave2s: <-- satellite, satellite :rain:

P.S. If I want to use two npn darlingtons as output devs, This allows me.

I dont need compensation here ? between Q3 and Q7 bases and collectors ?

Attachments

• circlo.PNG
    circlo.PNG
    55.4 KB · Views: 710
  • circlo_sch.PNG
    circlo_sch.PNG
    97.7 KB · Views: 730
Last edited:
Is it possible to do with darlingtons for output transistors ?,
I have many and only npns.

Hi mosfet54,
Darlington and Hexfet versions use same layout but with slightly different component values. I tested both and they sounded very well despite darlington version had an overshoot issue that seems requiring extra compensation work. Hexfet version doesn't have such behavior with values suggested by Elvee in post #16.

My pcb layout try-out is here:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/soli...n-parts-accessories-beginner-friendly-23.html

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Inverted JFET Circlophone testing

The inverted JFET Circlophone works! On one of the amps, I had a problem with a micro-perforated insulator (Kapton tape punctured by a micro burr on the heatsink), after fixing that and replacing a fuse, it is now playing music. It sounds fantastic! Like a class A amp but with lots of power on tap. Very powerful dynamic sound with great bass authority.

A very nice amp - perhaps one of the best sounding ones I have heard. :)

541006d1459443641-my-little-cheap-circlophone-inv.-circlophone-testing.png

Attachments

• Inv. Circlophone-testing.PNG
    Inv. Circlophone-testing.PNG
    662.8 KB · Views: 1,457
Last edited:
The inverted JFET Circlophone works! On one of the amps, I had a problem with a micro-perforated insulator (Kapton tape punctured by a micro burr on the heatsink), after fixing that and replacing a fuse, it is now playing music. It sounds fantastic! Like a class A amp but with lots of power on tap. Very powerful dynamic sound with great bass authority.

A very nice amp - perhaps one of the best sounding ones I have heard. :)

541006d1459443641-my-little-cheap-circlophone-inv.-circlophone-testing.png
Nice! :)

What's the DC voltage feeding the CP boards and total capacitance fron PSU?

Thank you.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
A full day of listening with my new Inverted JFET Circlophone amp and I can now declare it as the best sounding amp I have so far. All the benefits of true class A with gobs of power and just a little more heat like a hot class AB. I put all sorts of test tracks through it and they all surprise me with the clarity, low distortion, smoothness and weight of the bass authority. Piano is a great test for distortion, and jazz trios are a great test for articulation and transient response.

Truly a wonderful design.

Thanks to Elvee and Piersma for this amp!
:cheers: