• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

My First Tube Preamp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
For your setup I'd use the AS1T230 you originally chose. I believe it's R12 on the all in one board where you can adjust the value to get the B+ where you want it. This transformer gives you more overhead and more options down the road.

If you haven't already you should download and get familiar with PSUDII - I've found it to be an invaluable tool in designing HV supplies.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
My tubes are arriving today so now I think it is good to get your ideas about tube care.
I have two children that can't help but poke at things.
For this reason I have an IEC jack with an on off switch and the on off switch on the front of the chassis.
BUT.....Tube cleaning wise, many people recommend 96+% Iso Alcohol, no rubbing alcohol.
What I was wondering is, what about Denatured Alcohol or Acetone? I have plenty of it that I use to clean circuit boards. Is it ok for tubes?
If not I will just go to the pharmacy and pick up some 99% Iso Alcohol.

Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member
OK now that I have my tubes I notice that all but one are silver on top and clear on the bottom.
One has dark discoloration in the glass just above the pins.
I have seen this before in radio tubes.
Why does this happen?
Is there any difference when the tubes are silver on top or clear?

I just ordered a Tetra phono kit and it arrived in 4-5 days.

When he is out of stock it will not let you add it to a cart so I think you are all set - I actually didnt pay attention to the email - you generally will not receive a shipping notice or tracking number either...have no fear!

Joined 2011
Paid Member
This weekend I will be building my Aikido Chassis in anticipation of my kit arriving on Monday.
Any pointers for input/output routing to steer clear of the P/S end of the board?
Is it OK to route signal cables under the PCB since there would be close proximity to possible noise sources?

Here is my layout on my 5687 Aikido. I got cute and used some copper tubing I had laying around...probably not doing a lot but it is dead silent.

CIMG0901.jpg

Joined 2011
Paid Member
On my LM4780's I used RG142 silver plated dual shield for my input wiring.
On my Aikido I am planning to use RG316 silver plated dual shield for input and output wiring.
I have zero problems with noise on my LM4780's, if I do have any it is source noise from a crappy recording.
I recently dragged them over to my friends house and borrowed his SL1000 MK2 w/ ext. preamp; I was very pleased with my amplifier performance even on VERY dynamic passages.

Actually it's not very hard to make a dead silent Aikido preamp..as long as you don't make any major mistakes it will end up like that. I've even made silent Aikidos with AC heaters.

Why? Well usually inputs are from CD level sources, 2V. And the output is higher. This is much higher than the old days with phono cartridges that produce 50mV or even 5mV, and people got decent performance from less noisy circuits than Aikido.

So, if you have any noise, something is wrong. Also be sure to do as cjkpkg did and twist all your wires.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
All of my input and output wires will be double shielded, I shouldn't have any problems.
This wire has Teflon insulation and FEP outer jacket rated for 200 deg. C.
I was mainly just wondering if their is a best practice with this new Aikido all in one for I/O cable routing?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.