• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

My first tube amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
je labs 2a3

Have you seen the 2a3 designs on angela.com?

Attachments

• se2a3_2001.gif
    se2a3_2001.gif
    43.8 KB · Views: 401
diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi Joe,

Now I know that you have a PP 2A3 design in your pocket. Do you really want me to beg?

There are are still a number of things I'd like to do before I present it to you or anyone else.

I want to test it on low efficiency Spendor speakers of a friend of mine and on my bigger and high efficiency SD3s.

On top of that that I'll need to inventorise parts, draw a schematic on th PC, and so on.

Eventually, when all of the above is finished and I feel confident it is satisfactory I will gladly share it with all of you.

So, if you're really in a hurry to build I think Jack Eliano's SE circuit may give you a good feel of what you can expect of a 2A3 and the 5691/6SL7. A combination that should sound very good.

Cheers,;)

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi Tim,

I release drawings without the slightest thought of building anything first, what are you afraid of?

Afraid of letting down someone I think...

I'd never release a single thing unless I'm convinced it has a good chance of surviving in a fair number of systems.

BTW, since you're our resident penthode defender: I spent most of the afternoon listening to a homemade 9W PP 6V6 stereo amp on (84dB) Spendor BC Ones this afternoon with a humble old Philips 16 bitter as a source...Stunning, absolutely stunning!

The closest to my OTLs from a xformer coupled amp I've ever heard...Goose bumps all over.

High-end stuff costing several thousands of $s has a lot to learn.

And no, not a single boutique component insight either....I was really impressed...
Original design by Western Electric, no global NFB but plate to plate FB. Clever and incredibly musical.

Cheers,;)

fdegrove said:

BTW, since you're our resident penthode defender: I spent most of the afternoon listening to a homemade 9W PP 6V6 stereo amp on (84dB) Spendor BC Ones this afternoon with a humble old Philips 16 bitter as a source...Stunning, absolutely stunning!

i don't mean to hijack the thread but, ..

methinks the sound of the 6v6 in hifi is under-appreciated, .. i own a couple of 6v6 push pull pentodes (williamson ckt.) pilots and absolutely love the sound. i i liked them even with with my PSB 400i at 80 something eff, .. and they are scary good with my high efficiency horns.

any reason why this tube seems to be much less spoken of than say the el84 or other relatively cheap power tubes?

fdegrove said:

The closest to my OTLs from a xformer coupled amp I've ever heard...Goose bumps all over.

I've been running one of Gary's PP47's for a while now, and have been playing with similar designs using EL34 and 6V6/6AQ5 as time from work permits.

Got to agree, they can be extraordinary, better than almost all the bright emitter transmitter tube amps I've built (my reference standard up until recently). They make great electrostatic headphone amps too.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.