My first Dipole Subwoofer!!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The "best" would most likely be no folds at all, just a flat baffle, or maybe an arced baffle could be interesting...

Either way those look like nice drivers, and it will be simple to find out how they sound in open baffle, just slap them in one. I too am working on dipole "subs", actually, the same baffle will "house" the full range drivers as well. The subs will be 12" units, I've got the baffles almost done and I'm just waiting for the drivers to put them in. I did tests with my fullrange drivers in open baffles and I liked them alot (much more than sealed, ported of TLed). I finally came to a compromise of baffle width and the amount of space it will take up. So I went all out (for my budget it's all out) and made the final speakers out of solid birch, it looks really nice after all the staining and polishing...

I'm going to use equilisation (did I even spell that right?) so to get them to get lower flatter. You should think of this too, because otherwise you'll have a rolloff starting pretty high, albeit a low order slope. But I've got no problem with how loud they will get. You are going to need 4 drivers to achieve the MAX SPL of one driver in a sealed enclosure, but except for party systems (should use rugged PA stuff anyways, not delicate hi-fi drivers) or PA for that matter, I'm sure you won't need all those SPLs anyways. I listen at "relatively" low volumes (I think it's pretty loud, but I'm not 20m away from them, distance changes everything afterall), it's in a small room, so to me there is no better way to produce bass (I've tried many different ways, but never tried horns, although I've heard great things about them, they're just not my style).

Good luck with yours, and I'll share more of my findings when my lastest pair are finished and worked in...

Well, just to give you some feedback on how mine is going, maybe it can help you with yours. I got all my drivers, and finished off (I'm happy with it for now) the eq for the woofer. I used a simple low-pass filter with first order slope and compensated by pumping up the gain, I was either going that route or using a linkwitz-transform circuit, and while the route I took probably results in a lower noise floor, the noise is already very low and I'd much rather omit the use of an opamp.

What I did notice, and for a while it was driving me crazy, be sure to break in your woofers before you work on the eq (if you go that way, but I stongly sugest you do). With my 12" woofers I get easily down to 30Hz (the eq should make it flat to there, and then abruptly drop off). I get it loud enough for my listening, in fact it can go alot louder than I listen to, but because of excursion limitations I don't see it going extremely loud (although I noticed that while I was playing music, not test tones, the excursion is very modest at normal volumes). I'm still playing with the crossover (obviously not a passive crossover), but I should be done soon, again, I'll try to post a picture of them, I'm rahter proud of the woodworking, but I'm just too busy building them...

Hopefully, if the weather permits, I'll be buying the wood and building mine today. I have decided to go with the H-frame design since I have always thought that the simpler the enclosure design, the better chance you have on getting a better sound out of them.

Anyway, I will try and take some pics throughout the day of the progress, that is, if it doesn't end up raining all day today. :dead:

Here's a couple more pictures of the drivers......

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

At last!!!! I just got finished building and installing my new dipoles, and must say that I am very, very impressed!!! All that talk about needing a monopole sub to take up from 40Hz and below is not the case with these at all. These things play low and loud without hardly moving. Now I just have to wait for them to break in. They can only get better after that!

Oh yeah, did I mention that they are HUGE?! (24" D, 24" W, 36" H)

And now for a few pics...... Let me know what you think!!

Nappylady said:
Holy crap, man.... that's the most amazing thing I've ever seen! :D Are they capable of playing loud? And I guess they must sound good? :D

What does your cat think now? I notice she's in none of the pictures! :D

YES! ....They are quite capable of playing loud, extremely loud. That's one of the things that's so amazing about them. The other amazing thing about them is that they play WELL BELOW 20Hz with absolutely no problems, and get this.....the only way to tell they are moving is by actually touching them!! Hardly ever do I see them move.

Needless to say, they sound excellent. No boominess, no colorations, just clean, clear, natural bass that just "appears" in the room with the rest of the music.

I strongly suggest anyone who wants to build some dipole subs with size and space not a concern, buy four of these drivers and build these H-frames. I promise you'll thank me for it!!

And my silly kittie loves them too. She has found herself a new "perch" on top, even while playing!

hey chops...how much eq are you having to implement via the audiocontrol...or do you even have a need for it now...the second you posted this thread you got my brain ticking again about dipole subs...everytime i think about it i kind of get discouraged about having to go active or get off my *** and buy an x-over...i dont know i am seriously thinking about picking up 4 or more of these when i get back stateside (im currently still deployed for operation iraqi freedom) but diy audio is the only thing keeping me stoked to get back...that and my girly girl...but mainly the speakers...
btw what x-over freq are you using...what slope...do they blend well...what speakers are you crossing them over to...any drawbacks...and lastly do you think you're picking up any extra volume with them being so close to the walls??? have you put the meter on em??? im damn interested man gimme details...gimme gimme gimme

hehehe thanks for igniting the flame for my love of dipoles again...

Actually, since these drivers have a high "Q", they do not need much eq-ing at all. Here's where I have it set after a little listening and tuning....

The crossover frequency is at 90Hz and 24dB per octave, over to a pair of Magnepan MGLR-1 loudspeakers which have been slightly tweeked with a set of DIY adjustable stands and Cardas/Kimber Kable jumpers for the tweeter attenuators....

After playing with the level and eq a bit, they seem to blend perfectly together, and absolutely transparent sounding. With my eyes closed, both the Maggies and subs dissapear and all I get is pure music that is extremely "You Are There!".

The only drawback is that I wasted a lot of money in the past on other subs and designs that could never dream of coming close to these dipoles. As far as if I gained any output by placing them by the wall, I don't know. Since I didn't change the placement of the Maggies, (after months of tweeking), I just put them between the Maggies and the walls.

I hope this gets you going on the dipoles again!! I'll never go back!!!!!

BAM said:
I know there's that one audio auction site, and the Home Theater Forum also has a page for selling gear so you could probably sell your old subs and all that on there and get some money back out of them.

Edit: Also, you should make a web page about your dipole subs.

Those subs are long gone now. As for the website, I do have one and have the dipoles on there along with a bunch of other stuff. Just click the "www" button below. ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.