My DSP/DAC Build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Today was eaten up by adding 2 pcblibraries and 2 schematic libraries into Altium.

Had to start from scratch for both chips ( SAM3X8E and RA8875 ) and input details from pin number, pin description and type ( Input, Output, I/O or Power ).

Needless to say it had eaten up about 4hrs... but at least its done!

PS:

Had posted up a separate thread in the power supply section to get some input.
You can find it HERE ( Saves everyone the headache of using the search feature :p )

Last edited:
I was thinking...
Since I'm using a processor with ethernet capabilities why not add in the chip and bring it onto the network. I mean its easy to add in now in the design phase and have the boards made with the option but if you dont want it. you don't have to populate it.

How many people would like to see an ethernet interface on control board ?

Yes, you should definitely add it if it is easy.

There are several things that I like about ethernet for this application :

- easy remote control (write a python script, interface to your tablet, whatever)
- writing an ethernet bootloader makes edit-compile-run super fast (compared to slow JTAG upload)
- galvanic isolation

If your chip uses USB as a serial port to communicate with the PC, then USB may already offer these features, though.

The beauty of the SAM3X8E is in fact that its one way or another an Arduino Due and since its open source everything is available including the Schematic for the Due and the Schematic fot the Ethernet Shield

With that being said...
Everything is one way or another a "Customized" version of the Due with the Ethernet shield. Again, everything needed will be brought to the edge of the board.
With that being said, the software is free and the programing is simple and straightforward as its the same as programing any other Arduino as well as the Ethernet Library is already implemented and only requires minimal integration.

At the center of it all is the ever so flexible Atmel AT91SAM3X8E which by far has more than enough muscle to for I2C/SPI controls as well as plenty of I/O
Based on the ARM® Cortex™-M3 processor, the Atmel® SAM3X8E runs at 84MHz and features 512KB of Flash in 2 x 256KB banks and 100KB of SRAM in 64KB +32KB banks, with an additional 4KB as NFC SRAM. Its highly integrated peripheral set for connectivity and communication includes Ethernet, dual CAN, HS USB MiniHost and device with on-chip PHY, high-speed SD/SDIO/MMC, and multiple USARTs, SPIs, TWIs and one I2S. The SAM3X8E also features a 12-bit ADC/DAC, temperature sensor, 32-bit timers, PWM timer and RTC. The 16-bit external bus interface supports SRAM, PSRAM, NOR and NAND Flash with error code correction.

Also on the list is SD Card, Ethernet, USB, Parallel LCD interface, SPI and I2C.
Dual Rotary Encoders are going to handle Volume Control and Input Select.
If the hardware is in place the software is the limiting factor!

PS:
The main purpose for the SD is storage.
This way the code can be run off the SD leaving the MCU free to store critical info only.

Last edited:
UGH...
doing a bit of research now.
I'm looking at the NXP LPC2478FBD208

Features and Benefits:

ARM7TDMI-S processor, running at up to 72 MHz.
512 kB on-chip flash program memory with In-System Programming (ISP) and In-Application Programming (IAP) capabilities. Flash program memory is on the ARM local bus for high performance CPU access.
98 kB on-chip SRAM includes:
64 kB of SRAM on the ARM local bus for high performance CPU access.
16 kB SRAM for Ethernet interface. Can also be used as general purpose SRAM.
16 kB SRAM for general purpose DMA use also accessible by the USB.
2 kB SRAM data storage powered from the Real-Time Clock (RTC) power domain.
LCD controller, supporting both Super-Twisted Nematic (STN) and Thin-Film Transistors (TFT) displays.
Dedicated DMA controller.
Selectable display resolution (up to 1024 × 768 pixels).
Supports up to 24-bit true-color mode.
Dual Advanced High-performance Bus (AHB) system allows simultaneous Ethernet DMA, USB DMA, and program execution from on-chip flash with no contention.
EMC provides support for asynchronous static memory devices such as RAM, ROM and flash, as well as dynamic memories such as single data rate SDRAM.
Advanced Vectored Interrupt Controller (VIC), supporting up to 32 vectored interrupts.
General Purpose DMA (GPDMA) controller on AHB that can be used with the SSP, I²S-bus, and SD/MMC interface as well as for memory-to-memory transfers.
Serial Interfaces:
Ethernet MAC with MII/RMII interface and associated DMA controller. These functions reside on an independent AHB.
USB 2.0 full-speed dual port device/host/OTG controller with on-chip PHY and associated DMA controller.
Four UARTs with fractional baud rate generation, one with modem control I/O, one with IrDA support, all with FIFO.
CAN controller with two channels.
SPI controller.
Two SSP controllers, with FIFO and multi-protocol capabilities. One is an alternate for the SPI port, sharing its interrupt. SSPs can be used with the GPDMA controller.
Three I²C-bus interfaces (one with open-drain and two with standard port pins).
I²S (Inter-IC Sound) interface for digital audio input or output. It can be used with the GPDMA.
Other peripherals:
SD/MMC memory card interface.
160 General purpose I/O pins with configurable pull-up/down resistors.
10-bit ADC with input multiplexing among 8 pins.
10-bit DAC.
Four general purpose timers/counters with 8 capture inputs and 10 compare outputs. Each timer block has an external count input.
Two PWM/timer blocks with support for three-phase motor control. Each PWM has an external count input.
RTC with separate power domain. Clock source can be the RTC oscillator or the APB clock.
2 kB SRAM powered from the RTC power pin, allowing data to be stored when the rest of the chip is powered off.
WatchDog Timer (WDT). The WDT can be clocked from the internal RC oscillator, the RTC oscillator, or the APB clock.
Single 3.3 V power supply (3.0 V to 3.6 V).
4 MHz internal RC oscillator trimmed to 1 % accuracy that can optionally be used as the system clock.
Four reduced power modes: idle, sleep, power-down and deep power-down.
Four external interrupt inputs configurable as edge/level sensitive. All pins on port 0 and port 2 can be used as edge sensitive interrupt sources.
Processor wake-up from Power-down mode via any interrupt able to operate during Power-down mode (includes external interrupts, RTC interrupt, USB activity, Ethernet wake-up interrupt, CAN bus activity, port 0/2 pin interrupt).
Two independent power domains allow fine tuning of power consumption based on needed features.
Each peripheral has its own clock divider for further power saving. These dividers help reduce active power by 20 % to 30 %.
Brownout detect with separate thresholds for interrupt and forced reset.
On-chip power-on reset.
On-chip crystal oscillator with an operating range of 1 MHz to 25 MHz.
On-chip PLL allows CPU operation up to the maximum CPU rate without the need for a high frequency crystal. May be run from the main oscillator, the internal RC oscillator, or the RTC oscillator.
Boundary scan for simplified board testing.
Versatile pin function selections allow more possibilities for using on-chip peripheral functions.
Standard ARM test/debug interface for compatibility with existing tools.
Emulation trace module supports real-time trace.

Example schematic HERE for their Demo Board.
Again, this can be easily copied into Altium and then modified to suit my needs. The nice part about this is the LCD controller is built in and there is I2S on chip which means that with a bit of software wizardry there's lots possibilities. Now I'm wondering if its all ARM use the same code and whatever the Arduino software might work or other "tools" maybe required...

Last edited:
A combination of things really :p
Got busy with work, Boards that came in were very poor and sent them back to the manufacturer, and on top of that my hard drive in my computer died and lost all the files.
However...
Everything was backed up on an external drive so that's all safe.
Work picked back up and now im working 12/14 hrs a day again :(

I will know by the end of next week if they are making me another batch or refunding me my money... In the meantime... who knows of good PCB houses ??

A combination of things really :p
Got busy with work, Boards that came in were very poor and sent them back to the manufacturer, and on top of that my hard drive in my computer died and lost all the files.
However...
Everything was backed up on an external drive so that's all safe.
Work picked back up and now im working 12/14 hrs a day again :(

I will know by the end of next week if they are making me another batch or refunding me my money... In the meantime... who knows of good PCB houses ??

Oh gosh that sounds like a compounded set of problems. hope you get up on your feet soon.

Try seed studio, PCB Shopper

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.