My DIY UcD amp from the junk box

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Stewin, thanks for the hints.
I followed that thread from the beginning (2010), great simple amp!
But i'm not interested in IC based class-d amplifiers... Why? Job become too simple, really too simple with a comparator and a gate driver :) and I love the discrete, the burned fuses (as the only protection available), the surprises, the magic smoke, the exploding fets..... and then, discrete circuits got the advantage that you can repair them even after decades, and probably you won't have to move an express courier around the world to have the last piece of IR2110 left over in the market.

and what is the best sounding fully discrete design that you are aware of?

UcD is the only good fully discrete design I know, for class D amps. :rolleyes:

Very good sounding, fully discrete, little power :( , DiY simple amplifiers are class A. There are plenty of good projects around, transistor or mosfet based.

Check my signature, I'm currently listening to my class A fully discrete amp (and power supply), built so long time ago, and still so good.
It's the last version (2005) of the delicious little amplifier designed by John Linsley Hood in 1969:
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/96192-post-solid-pics-324.html#post3644868

UcD is the only good fully discrete design I know, for class D amps. :rolleyes:

Very good sounding, fully discrete, little power :( , DiY simple amplifiers are class A. There are plenty of good projects around, transistor or mosfet based.

Check my signature, I'm currently listening to my class A fully discrete amp (and power supply), built so long time ago, and still so good.
It's the last version (2005) of the delicious little amplifier designed by John Linsley Hood in 1969:
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/96192-post-solid-pics-324.html#post3644868

hi acca , i wanted to make my ic ucd version project , better and stable , i also wanted to use a maximum of +/-72vlts fullbridge at 4ohms with irfb4115

kindly share your opinion in the schematic. i will change the protection part to use manoj aud600 one cause it was very effective.

:eek::eek: btw i thought non discreet will use few components and a smaller board , but still is big

i chose ir2110 schema cause i have used the amp with irfb4227 at full bridge +/-85vlts at 4ohms with good success, just wanted to make it stable.

Attachments

• gtG ucd non discreet 3.5 smd schematic.png
    gtG ucd non discreet 3.5 smd schematic.png
    214.1 KB · Views: 219
  • gtG ucd non discreet 3.5 smd schematic.pdf
    42.4 KB · Views: 132
hi stewin,
ucd amps are, by definition, unstable. :)
When you say "stable", what did you mean exactly?
Are you referring to failures? to osc blocking? to protection trip?
Ucd is a well know design nowadays... lot of design and research around it.
It should work well, and be simple to debug.
Another story: are you sure the power supply is good enough for feed that beast? Amplifier is only half the battle.

thanks acid k2 for the reply. i found ucd stable when you compared to sigma delta , its down side is that you have to design it nicely cause of hf noise interference . i have a good smps power supply :)

do you have a stable class d topology ? , kindly share the schematic

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.