My DIY speakers all sound kind of muffled

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Very easy to try at least even a sealed box (at least 3 liters with stuffing) and a TC9FD or a Visaton FRS8 will sound decent and not muffled. Try a Sanwu TDA8932 monoblock amp ($4 ea) and 19v laptop supply. And even the Sanwu can be obtained on Aliexpress (they are useful for lots of things like amp modules, DC-DC-converters, 1% metal film resistors, basic non-boutique capacitors, etc, and nice aluminum CNC amp cases for cheap).

The 0.40x Karlsonator is very easy to make and perhaps the highest ROI for sound quality you can get using $1sheet of foam core and a $10 driver.

385169d1385877585-mini-karlsonator-0-53x-dual-tc9fds-photo-build-03.png

Could you elaborate a bit more on your "backpack speaker" concept and your performance goals?

i meant something arround the size of a jbl charge 3 or ue megaboom. like 1litre enclosure. the pics attached are a test i made.

High Fs means more bass? i looked at the entire range of 2'' from peerless and this ones seem to be the best ratio and the ones with higher range of freqs..

Attachments

• IMG_20180410_191345.jpg
    IMG_20180410_191345.jpg
    807.9 KB · Views: 301
  • IMG_20180410_191359.jpg
    IMG_20180410_191359.jpg
    675.5 KB · Views: 300
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
High Fs is less bass. Your box is very small and without chamber dampening or stuffing all the back radiated sound will reflect and feedback onto the cone and cause it to sound muffled due to destructive interference. Try adding some stuffing or even removing the back panel to see if the sound clears up (no bass) but that will confirm the source of why it sounds muffled. You are trying to make a small MP3/BT speaker - just go buy one for $15 with passive raditaor, amp, BT 4.0, and rechargeable batteries built in. You cannot replicate that for $15 - at least $50 to make yourself and it will not sound as good.

Foe example:`
Wireless Bluetooth Speaker Portable Subwoofer Super Bass Stereo Loudspeakers | eBay

High Quality Crystal Clear Sound: Distinct mids and highs from our two precision acoustic drivers delivers excellent stereo sound and enhanced bass from our proprietary passive bass radiator design. Built-in 2 x 40mm dual driver portable speakerphone with crystal clear sound and strong bass without distortion even at highest volume.

Louder Volume and More Bass: The small speaker could provide 30% louder volume and richer Bass than Other competitors. The Crystal clear deep bass 3W + 3W HD loud speakers for both active outdoor and indoor use: room filling sound, perfect for home, dorm room, kitchen, bathroom, car, parties; streaming music or internet radio services such as Pandora and Spotify.

Bluetooth 4.0 Technology: Connect over Bluetooth in seconds to: iPhone, iPad, iPod, Mac, Smartphones, Tablets, Windows 7,8,10---To play from Chromebooks, TVs and non-Bluetooth devices use the included 3.5mm audio cable connected to the AUX-IN jack --- BUILT-IN MIC for handsfree speakerphone from Smartphones and iPhones. Plays up to 30 feet (10 meters) from any Bluetooth-enabled device.

so you mean that for the same money im gonna spend doing it my self, im always gonna be able to buy something better if i buy it from a store?

or is it possible to spend 200euros and build something better than anything available?
Honestly, It's tough to compete with engineers that design amps to fit a driver in a specific enclosure. The units that can be purchased in a store are not just a run of the mill amp and some drivers. Everything is taken into consideration in the design of the unit as a whole. Not many folks on this site have the ability to do what some of those engineers do to build a device and have the ability to sell it for 20 bucks..

It's the holy grail to build a small unit with lots of fidelity and good bass response. Not an easy achievement in most endeavors..

I'm not wanting to discourage you but try to understand that there is a lot of thought in the design to make things small and sound great. Those store bought units sound good but they have a short lifespan. Anything you build might not sound as good but I'm positive it will last longer.. ;)

Don't be afraid to try and let these guys give you pointers. You don't need to spend mega bucks to make a good sounding unit but I can assure you it won't be as small as you like..

Here's some cheapness.. ;)

This is the driver I used. Cheap and disgusting.. GRS 46AS-4 4" x 6" Dual Cone Replacement Car Speaker 4 Ohm

It's mounted in a cardboard box, heavily dampened internally and sprayed with bed liner for pick-up trucks. (Bottle of water to show size) The amp is a piece of gold purchased at a local Dollar Tree store. The emergency USB charger, also from the Dollar Tree. The USB Bluetooth receiver from AliExpress for $1.70, I believe. The battery holder with switch found on Amazon for ~$2.50. The audio input jack.. $.40.. I believe the batteries is the most expensive item in the whole thing.. LOL..

It sounds good and will make it hard to hold a conversation in the same room with it turned up just below distortion. The Aux. input must be controlled via a pot and the Bluetooth level can be controlled by the phone or whatever..

Cheapness, baby.. and it works! More Pics Here..
ImageShack - Cheap and Fun!
cuKPMM.jpg

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
so you mean that for the same money im gonna spend doing it my self, im always gonna be able to buy something better if i buy it from a store?

or is it possible to spend 200euros and build something better than anything available?

200 Euros gets you quality drivers that will be buyer than what companies put into a 200Euro end product. The markup is probably 10x to cover overhead and non recurring design and tooling. Well done DIY can sound better of course.

Then there is the $500 Sonos 5 that is going to be very tough to beat for your own $500. Waveguides, custom drivers, custom amps, DSP, etc.

Making a 150w 2.1 System in a box

Hi! A few months ago i was searching arround youtube and i found a cool diy video of a guy building a really nice 2.1 system in a box, wich menas it has 2 complete speakers an one subwoofer in the same box. im gonna have 3 separate chambers inside the main box

I want to do the same thing and after some searching and testing, im gonna use this amp board (Bluetooth 4.0 Digital 2.1 Class D HIFI Power Amplifier Board 3ch Super Bass Amp | eBay
Support super bass cut-off frequency (180Hz-250Hz))

It has 2*50w channels for the full range and 1*100w channel thats for the sunwoofer and its cut between 180hz and 280hz, depending how i prefer it.

I already bought the subwoofer, refurbished from an old 5.1 samsung system wich allowed me to get the precise volume it needs and i was even able to safely remove the bass port!

Now for the hard part, is to find the correct drivers for this! i want the complete speaker to be a 2way woofer-tweeter set for arround 100euros the 4 drivers. whats do you recomend? i already have some 3200hz crossovers.

i also have this guys.. do you thing theyl do??
For LG 4"inch 6Ohm 6Ω 30W Midrange Bass Speaker Stereo Woofer Loudspeaker Horn | eBay
promotion sale! ! ! 2pcs Monitor Audio TBX025 V2 25mm Gold Dome Tweeters new | eBay

Plz help me get some really good speakers... as i have the subwoofer, i dont really need to have a really bassy woofer, but i still like bass.

I have no clue about the quality, but this has a ADAU 1701 for DSP, and some power amps integrated, extra option of making it a "one stop" solution with integrated Lithium battery charger ++ is about 50-55$ total.
Sure Electronics' webstore 2 x 50 Watt Class D + Audio DSP - JAB3-250

Need a BT module?
BT module

You should at least consider some 3,5" FR units, closed box they can work in a small volume. Do not expect earth shattering bass. But adequate at low-mid volumes.

You also need a "USBi or WONDOM In-Circuit Programmer".

Last edited:
200 Euros gets you quality drivers that will be buyer than what companies put into a 200Euro end product. The markup is probably 10x to cover overhead and non recurring design and tooling. Well done DIY can sound better of course.

Then there is the $500 Sonos 5 that is going to be very tough to beat for your own $500. Waveguides, custom drivers, custom amps, DSP, etc.

i bought this driver, thats suposedly the same as used in the sonos 5 (took it with a grain of salt) but after some testing, it is the best woofer i had in my house.. its so loud, so crisp, so heavy and has a lot of excursion, never distoring. you should try it.. 1pcs 4"inch Bass speaker For SONOS 60 watts 3 Ohms | eBay

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
i bought this driver, thats suposedly the same as used in the sonos 5 (took it with a grain of salt) but after some testing, it is the best woofer i had in my house.. its so loud, so crisp, so heavy and has a lot of excursion, never distoring. you should try it.. 1pcs 4"inch Bass speaker For SONOS 60 watts 3 Ohms | eBay

Thanks for the link! That is a special custom woofer for the Sonos 5 and good to hear that you found it impressive. I would love to know the T/S params but judging from the massive magnet, the Qts is low, Bl is high, and Vas is moderately low. Perfect for a compact woofer. What is the excursion range on it?

I may have to order some - Sonos 5 uses 3 of them.

I started this thread a while back, and nobody was interested - but the blowup diagram appears to show the same driver from basket/frame/bezel to cone and dustcap and size of magnet - all look correct.

SONOS Play 5

Attachments

• 82ADCBA7-67F5-4AFB-8E89-954FC4DD64B5.jpeg
    82ADCBA7-67F5-4AFB-8E89-954FC4DD64B5.jpeg
    73.4 KB · Views: 176
yes, the driver is pretty identical to the original one. i really wonder if it is the real deal or not. i dont know any parameters of this driver but the guy in this video uses the exact same driver i bought and you can see the max excursion. believe me, i find it to sound really good and to be way louder than other woofers i tested
YouTube

And can anyone help me with this other project? its a 150w 2.1 system in a box

Making a 150w 2.1 System in a box

The drivers themselves would only be part of the Sonus formula- there’s more going on in those boxes.
My son recently got hooked on the ease of use - “Alexa, play my after dinner playlist, please,” and “room filling”sound - a model 5 in the living room, one on the kitchen counter, and one in the bathroom. Gotta admit they sound a $hit ton better than his little Bose toy, and the user interface / smart phone app appears to have a very quick learning curve

for the young-uns ;)

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.