My DIY record cleaner.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all, first time poster here.

I wanted to try my hand at building a cleaner of my own, I have almost all the parts already but I have a question before I start. I'm using an old sony Direct Drive TT as the platter and I've ordered a a 12v 15RPM gear motor. Is there any particular way I should go about securing the platter to the mounted motor? The spindle on the motor isnt quite the same size as the turntable.

Thanks.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
You'll probably have to improvise something to do the job or contact a machine shop to fabricate an adapter. Surplus dealers and hamfests may be another possibility.. I still have not added a gear motor to drive my platter, have not found it to be completely necessary.

I do wish I had a little more suction, my disks are always slightly damp when they come off of the cleaner. Some claim that playing the disk wet is actually better, I've no idea whether or not this is so.

It does do a very good job getting disks clean.

WAIT. Save your money.
I work for a copier company that services canon and lanier/ricoh copiers. When the copiers come back and are to be junked we can part them out as the plastics get stripped and the frames get recycled. I bet if you find a Canon copier dealer in your area and ask if you can take some parts for your hobby i am sure they wont have a problem.

I have found gear reduced motors in large compacity lift trays. Ask them about a LCT tray lift motor. I belive i got mine out of a Canon. They run on 24 volts, if you run them on 12 they work at a good speed and you can use any old pc power supply (use 5 volts for extra slow). A ATX power supply can be used if you short pin 14 (i believe, look it up) to ground and switch the ac power in. I luckly found a platter with a simular size hole and had to do no modification to the motor. I use this a a cleaning platform, no vac is hooked up yet because i am too cheap to buy the special arm and adapter.

Ed Owens

For a ac motor you still will need a gear reduced motor because of the torque needed. there are 2 ways dimmer switches work and ac motors are all built differently. Some ac motors (a clock for instance) operate based on the cycles (60 cyc a sec) and the voltage is just the power, but i am shure others operate differently.
I would stick with DC for simplicity, underrunning the motor voltage isn't the best way to do it but it does work here.
A wiper motor might work if it is rotary gear box or even a power window motor might work. I still recommend copier motors because they are cheap if you find a friendly company and very high quality.
FortyTwo

Starting to get my act together for building one too

I like Kevinkr's design so far. I was wondering if you ever got to install the motor drive (and how you coupled the motor to the table platter, which motor you chose).

I was also curious about emptying the slop container. Do you have a quick-connect installed for the vac hose to click in and out of the jar? Any recommendations on that part of the assembly?

I know this is an old post, but hopefully you're still interested in this vinyl stuff.

Best wishes all

-Dover NH

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi, I actually never installed the gear motor upgrade I was talking about.. I may someday and will machine the parts needed to make it work.

The slop bottle is just a plastic fruit jar from the grocery store which has a plastic port epoxied into the side. The suction line from the pump fits snuggly into the port and can be quickly removed to empty the jar if needed. In practice it rarely needs to be emptied as the liquid usually evaporates before it gets full enough to need emptying unless used frequently.

It does a good job, but the modified mattress inflator pump is just a bit short on suction. A very small wet/dry shop vac would do a slightly better job at removing all of the cleaning liquids afterwards.

FWIW,

I have a couple ideas for sourcing DIY cleaner parts - gotta build my own someday...

Target stores here in the US have a handheld vac called a SHARK which is compact, has MONDO suction and costs only $20. It will outperform most small W/D vacs in this application, I think.

Also, allelectronics.com has a lot of gear-reduction motors on offer.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
awedio said:
FWIW,

I have a couple ideas for sourcing DIY cleaner parts - gotta build my own someday...

Target stores here in the US have a handheld vac called a SHARK which is compact, has MONDO suction and costs only $20. It will outperform most small W/D vacs in this application, I think.

Also, allelectronics.com has a lot of gear-reduction motors on offer.

I have a shark, tried that too and found it about equivalent in suction to the modified pump I talked about earlier.

hi all, first post. stumbled on this thread and was amazed at the ingenuity of your diy cleaning machines.

kevin, since you're using an electric pump your machine dries the record by blowing air into it? or does this pump have a vacuum cleaner function as well?

i just came from the nearby hardware and they have similar air pumps machines as well.

might try my hand at making one of this.

thank you all...

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
kimmy said:
hi all, first post. stumbled on this thread and was amazed at the ingenuity of your diy cleaning machines.

kevin, since you're using an electric pump your machine dries the record by blowing air into it? or does this pump have a vacuum cleaner function as well?

i just came from the nearby hardware and they have similar air pumps machines as well.

might try my hand at making one of this.

thank you all...

Hi Kimmy,
I modified the pump to provide vacuum, while it provides a lot of suction I think it is not quite strong enough as it does leave the record just a bit wetter than I would like. Other than that it works really well, and as I use distilled water for a rinse there is no residue left behind. Some prefer to play the disk wet, I have no such preference, I just play it wet or dry as the case may be.

kevin,

i just checked out the air pumps at the local hardware, most were models from intex similar to this...

http://www.poolstore.co.uk/ishop/691/shopscr452.html

the air blower was good but the suction part was iffy :bawling:

need to ask your help/advice on how you did the tweak to make the suction stronger.

one more thing, when the intex pump is in deflate mode (suction on)...the blow function is also on (inflate mode).

did your air pump also function like this? (before you modded it).

thanks

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
kimmy said:
kevin,

i just checked out the air pumps at the local hardware, most were models from intex similar to this...

http://www.poolstore.co.uk/ishop/691/shopscr452.html

the air blower was good but the suction part was iffy :bawling:

need to ask your help/advice on how you did the tweak to make the suction stronger.

one more thing, when the intex pump is in deflate mode (suction on)...the blow function is also on (inflate mode).

did your air pump also function like this? (before you modded it).

thanks

Yes, no difference.. What I did was cut out the "finger guard" baffles in the suction port - that is the only modification that is feasible to this air pump. In this particularly model about 20% of the port was obstructed by the guard.

A compact shop vac might provide slightly better performance as I find the suction is not quite enough to get the record entirely dry.

I used an Intex pump 'as is' for mine, its the sort that has been pictured in other members machines, horizontal and 'streamlined' rather then vertical like that one, it works perfectly straight out of the box and cost £12 from eBay, I'd say that one was quite pricey and I'm not sure why you'd want rechargable anyway...
Actually the suction is so high even with the record clamped it tries to lift the record off the platter when i lift the wand at the end of cleaning

all the best
Graham
UK

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.