My contribution to this site...if anyone is interested.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I would be glad to do a tutorial with plenty of pics from start to finish if I can get enough interest from the peeps here.

:captain:
Please! you said you wanted to show how to make certain cables that you designed, yet you seem to be starting a theoretical discussion. You should stick with your original premise. As has already been hinted by others posting, an open ended discussion of theories about cables won't get very far.

Sorry fellas...but if someone opens a can of worms...

I will start the show this Friday. In a blog.

Some more pics of prototype versions. Any questions in the meantime are welcome, no matter what kind.

Cheers

Attachments

• 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 943
  • 23.jpg
    23.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 941
  • 35.jpg
    35.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 929
The paint on the connectors is my special powder coating. Any connector that does not seem factory...has been powder coated by me. Though I won't go into detail during my blog, I experimented with adding different materials to the powder coating that reject EMI/RF.

Attachments

• 25.jpg
    25.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 926
  • 29.jpg
    29.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 894
  • 34.jpg
    34.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 458
Well they look like they are shielded well enough.

Aren't you concerned that electrons might fly off going round all those bends, or even worse arrive at the other end dizzy...

I want to torture them really.

Actually...with my technique, one can control the thickness of the shielding. Easily. As far as the coiled cable...I was showing how well the shielding keeps the cable from kinking, as well as the sheathing.

The paint on the connectors is my special powder coating. Any connector that does not seem factory...has been powder coated by me. Though I won't go into detail during my blog, I experimented with adding different materials to the powder coating that reject EMI/RF.

If those are screw locking style rca's i wouldn't put heat shrink over them.

Screw locking? Do you mean the security screw that (for example) the Eichmann rca's have? Or do you mean screw-on tip to body rca's? I'm curious as to what your thoughts are?

Cheers

This,

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I mean, if the case unscrews from the front, then dont put heat shrink over them at all, they are meant to be moved on and off, they allow the user to put the RCA connector on, then tighten them so they don't move or fall off.

This,

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I mean, if the case unscrews from the front, then don't put heat shrink over them at all, they are meant to be moved on and off, they allow the user to put the RCA connector on, then tighten them so they don't move or fall off.

Oh...yes, locking rca's. No, I don't put the heatshrink all the way on those. Correct. The DHLabs rca's I use also have the twist-lock configuration. I like those. Some people have a hard time with them...but you just have to get acquainted with the "feel".

Cheers

I think this is starting to sound a lot like a sales pitch, and not much of a tip contribution. I think soliciting should be in the vendor section, not in the tips section. Wake me when you get to the contributing tips part. Spoke too soon, I see the show starts this Fridey.

Last edited:
I think this is starting to sound a lot like a sales pitch, and not much of a tip contribution. I think soliciting should be in the vendor section, not in the tips section. Wake me when you get to the contributing tips part. Spoke too soon, I see the show starts this Fridey.

You just started a show right there with your comments!

I think this is starting to sound a lot like a sales pitch, and not much of a tip contribution. I think soliciting should be in the vendor section, not in the tips section. Wake me when you get to the contributing tips part. Spoke too soon, I see the show starts this Friday.

T, you couldn't afford these interconnects if I sold them. And don't take this the wrong way. Honestly...I COULDN'T AFFORD THEM if they were to be sold according to marketing criteria.

First, there is a minimum order for UPOCC wire direct from the Co. They make it in Japan.
Second, the time it takes to make these is approximately 3 hours for me, at least 6 for anyone starting and trying to get it right. I approximate that I made at least 70 pair. Not counting XLR which take almost twice as long to make . I happen to be a perfectionist to a VERY detrimental degree. No doubt, there IS going to be varied opinion of my ideologies regarding materials, configuration, and theory. No big deal. If I were a weenie...I wouldn't begin to do this.

There are many people that I will thank along the way that have helped educate myself about the many different aspects of cable design. All thanks to their unselfish philanthropy concerning the DIY community. All I want to do is continue the chain. I have thought about marketing my cables, so much so that I have purchased a few domain names, constructed a web site (though not published), and have even concluded as to how I would package them etc.

All I will say is...enjoy my hard work for (almost) free
:cheers:.

Spiro

I won't humor you, after all you spent your own hard earned money on cable burn-in devices without DIY'ing them. You don't know everything. Blog on and don't bore the rest of us. But please do tell us about the vagaries of electron conduction through all the crystal defects.

I'm at a disadvantage, I post under my real name as usual others have something to hide. Which brings something up, I think this site needs a non-negotiable real names policy.

If I thought it would actually satisfy anyone, I would've put mine in my profile. You say you post under your real name, but how would we know? Maybe if you'll put up a pic of you holding up your DL and SS card with the day's newspaper, I might start to believe you. Just make sure the text on both cards as well as the date on the paper are legible in the photo, please.

And as an aside, a preference for anonymity does not equate with having something to hide. If you're ever in the Richardson, TX area and PM me, I'd be happy to have you drop by. My set up is nothing to brag about, but I like it. And I have nothing to hide, but my name was already taken as a user name on the site. I got bored with trying variations, so I went with what a couple of my cycling buddies sometimes call me.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.