My "audiophile" LM3886 approach

float said:
I'm checking it out by playing lots of music :D

Daytime mains may be lower voltage, and with a bit of sag at high volumes hopefully all will be well. I'll keep an eye on chip temps during a LOUD session.

I'll say now that technically this amp is a little gem. No switch -on or -off thumps, very low dc offset and dead quiet. Thats more than a lot of commercial amps can claim. Great job! :cool:

Thanks Float, you are very kind.

It sounds like things are just fine. Enjoy the fruit of your labor :)

Cheers!
Russ

lazyfly said:
So essentially another question would be, has anyone else gone from a basic GC setup using a passive pre to Mauro's design and wondered where the volume went? And to be clear, I do realise this amp is no longer a clone, it's just that they're the only reference I have to go by ;)

Cheers
Kendal

I have 2 GC's that I used an ALP's 10K pot with and I am now using this Mauro Rev_C with a Noble 50K pot.

I see a SLIGHT difference in sensitivity, and to be honest, I see the GC and the 10K as LESS sensitive.

My 2 cents, but I would check resistor placement... Sounds like one or 2 are wrong and lowering your gain.

Sorry I can't help any further... :(

Nordic said:
Hey Russ, just so you know, my package arrived at the postoffice, and by some miracle the delivery note made it here... somehow, made out to you, took the wife and me a while to figure out who russel white was, lol. Anyhow thanks, it was faster ordering the boards from you than it took for them to manufacture my transformer.

I am impressed that you trusted this to our postal system.
:devilr:

who did you order the transformer from

Cheers
Rudi

rabstg said:

I have 2 GC's that I used an ALP's 10K pot with and I am now using this Mauro Rev_C with a Noble 50K pot.

I see a SLIGHT difference in sensitivity, and to be honest, I see the GC and the 10K as LESS sensitive.

My 2 cents, but I would check resistor placement... Sounds like one or 2 are wrong and lowering your gain.

Sorry I can't help any further... :(

Thanks mate, that's actually the kind of answer I was after - though I don't like it! ;)

I've gone mental checking resistor values and they appear correct :dead: It's possibly loud enough as is but it's pushing things, that is, perhaps not quite loud enough. Nothing gets hot excluding R1 which appears to be the norm.

It's all sorted now anyway. Rabbitz sent me half a ESP P88 quite a while ago. It's been gathering dust waiting for a use and it's now got one. According to him it doesn't alter the music signature (with a GC at least, unsure he tried it with his other gear), just adds some gain which is what it's doing. Going between it and the passive it doesn't seem to alter the sound at all so I'll agree with him on that one :D

So, it's up and running, I've set the gain too high on the bastardized P88 now (HAHAHA!) but it's a great listen. Too early to say how "good it is" but it certainly seems to be upsetting the GC's I've tried :D

Don't know what it is about the sound that's making it so enjoyable. Perhaps the 'air' around the musicians.

Thanks everyone!

Cheers
Kendal

Nordic said:
The only thing I don't like about it is the funny pinout on the relay... I am but NEVER going to find one like that ....

Funny pinout? Wow never heard that, It is one of the most common pinouts for a relay of that type. I can find at least 6 manufacturers with a simple google.

Who are your local suppliers? Perhaps I can help you source them. If you are really hard up I can send you a couple of nice pure silver contact fujitsu parts.

Cheers,
Russ