My "audiophile" LM3886 approach

Picture 38

It picture 38, the bottom view, there is an additional wire shown. What is it?
Looking your board should function fine. Suspect grounding between source and amplifier. Try floating the ground is the source on a 10 ohm resistor. Just a check, measure the value of your 1 ohm resistors, but not on the actual leads, check the traces to verify good contacts.

George

"ChipAmp" is kind of vague. I assume you mean a GainClone, and for apples to apples, a 3886-based GainClone. Still pretty vague, but here it goes...

<my opinions>
Mauro's amp vs gainclone's i've built
<technical>
better stability (less prone to noise and oscillation),
much better phase linearity, more even response,
lower distortion,
lower noise
</technical>
<listening impression>
incredible imaging,
better soundstage,
better bass,
cleaner details,
less harsh highs
</listening impression>
</my opinions>

You can build a gainclone more cheaply. Once you start upgrading it with bigger/better caps, etc, the prices start to even out, but sound quality will not be matched. Most of the money is gonna be a trafo, case, connectors, heatsink, either way.

I have not compared Mauro Penasa's 'My Reference" Audiophile Chip Amp with any other Chip Amp/Gainclone.

What I can say is that Twisted Pear's My Reference rev. C kit is an excellent performer, not out of place even in a top system.
Unless the loudspeakers are very inefficient, the My ref c has sufficient power to achieve loud volumes.

I think the My ref.c would be a good and cheap component to build an excellent hi-fi system around. You could upgrade the rest of the system then as finances permit.

The My ref c, nor any other good amp, will not transform a poor system into a good one. If you feed garbage in, you'll get garbage out.
Though I have no experience of them, I believe you can build very good, low priced preamps from information on this site, including ones by Twisted Pear Audio.

Audie.

Can I ask when the rev.c kits will be available again?

I just dont know whether it is worth spending more hours tryng to fix mine or just build a new one despite the cost.
I am really stumped on why they are not working despite help from Brian and even some tips from Mauro himself.The chips are replaced new , the diodes check out, the transistors too, on a previously working board.

Hi Protos,

I am finally moved in to my new house, and just getting my gear unpacked. Very soon I will be in good shape to order more PCBs. I actually fired up the soldering iron for the first time in weeks yesterday. :) Man, did that feel good.

Anyway if you really need a pair of RevCs contact me via email and I can send you a pair for little cost. These will be working examples, which may only need a part or two.

Cheers!
Russ

Hi all,

I have a pair of huge frame transformer that i recntly found. They are rated at 43v 3A and weight about 3 kilos each. When stuck into the uk mains they give me 45.8 volts. Will these be suiatble to run my pairs of My refs that i am now building or would it be better to get a pair of dual 24v secondary toriodal trannys.

Basiclly is the lack of 2.2 volts going to have much of an effect of the sound of these kits?

Phil

filholder said:
Hi all,

I have a pair of huge frame transformer that i recntly found. They are rated at 43v 3A and weight about 3 kilos each. When stuck into the uk mains they give me 45.8 volts. Will these be suiatble to run my pairs of My refs that i am now building or would it be better to get a pair of dual 24v secondary toriodal trannys.

Basiclly is the lack of 2.2 volts going to have much of an effect of the sound of these kits?

Phil

http://www.action-electronics.com/molex.htm#Kk

Hi Russ,

Can i just check something, to built the kits i have just gone through and stuffed all the components in the holes as per number. After i did thid i wondered if this was in fact wrong and that certain components might be need for a my ref a or b and others for my ref c.

Sorry the main issue being that i havebe so busy for month that i have only just started work again and really i should have read the thread through again but instead just got out the iron.

Thanks for all your help Russ,

Phil

filholder said:
Hi Russ,

Can i just check something, to built the kits i have just gone through and stuffed all the components in the holes as per number. After i did thid i wondered if this was in fact wrong and that certain components might be need for a my ref a or b and others for my ref c.

Sorry the main issue being that i havebe so busy for month that i have only just started work again and really i should have read the thread through again but instead just got out the iron.

Thanks for all your help Russ,

Phil

You are welcome. :)

As long as you used the parts as labeled, and did not use the optional REVA/B components, then you should be fine.

Cheers!
Russ