My "audiophile" LM3886 approach

Gut shots

This where things start to get ugly. The amout of wiring for 4 leds, battery supplies, and the normal input and output makes for a real cluster.
The 1K resistors, and 12 volt zeners are deleted, and the holes filled with power pins and lo ESR caps. Almost all parts sourced locally from surplus shops.
The input cap is a true stacked film and foil.

Attachments

• dsc00400[1].jpg
    dsc00400[1].jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 1,107
Playing sweetly

Here it is in the system. Love it. Seems to be wound a little looser than the stereo version I have been listening to.
Suspect it will get even better after a few days use. Right now it sounds a little smoother and creamy when directly compared to the PLovati board. May be the dual PE 7.00 transformers, or the batteries, or the 50 or so other changes.
Thanks again Mauro, for sharing. And Russ and Brian for your efforts. And Rudi, Franz, CFM, and countless others for contributing ideas to try.

Happy!
George

OT: I almost thought I was going to call SOP and some others for technical help. Checked it out on the bench for a couple days. Watched for offsets and such. Plugged in my system, and the power relays and leds would not activate.
Checked power plugs, outlets, and such. Pulled it apart and was wondering what had killed both channels at the same time.
The fuses, 1 amp ceramic medium blows looked fine. I checked and they had both blown. Suspect it was using 18 ga power cords for testing and 14 ga for listening. The 1a medium blows could take the power rush though the smaller power cords. The combination of a better circuit line, and larger power cables killed the fuses on first power up. They 1a were sized to help control damage in case of catastophic failure. They sure had me scared though.

Attachments

• dsc00406[1].jpg
    dsc00406[1].jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 1,065
Looks beeter from a distance

jimbo1968 said:
Are those polished diecast aluminum boxes?

Can we have a close-up picture please.

Let me steal my wifes camera and sneak a couple more pics. The boxes are three Hammonds and a Deltron. The chassis were the major cost of building the amp. They were right at 100.00 USD for all four.
Polishing is going to be never ending. Used a buffing wheel and rouge. Mouinted in my drill press to initially polish. Then a half dozen coats of Meguirs car wax. After several coats the black quit coming. But it only takes a week to get an oxide layer back.
Repoished last night. Already dulling. Once in the cabinet who cares though.
I hoped the car wax would seal well enough and could claim diecast nickel, tin, silver, or rhodium. But in truth it is just generic aluminum with a lot of elbow grease.

George

The LM3886 SuSy power amp is a design by Terry Aben based on ideas posed by Nelson Pass based on his patented work. The power amp workes basically like a bridged amp and is capable of around 135W into 4ohms and 75W into 8ohms. It offers extremely good noise cancelation with balanced input.

BTW I have a proto run of PCBs (Thanks Ed you rock!!!) done and the production PCBs will be ordered in the next week or so.

You can read about SuSy here:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=421299#post421299

Cheers!
Russ

destroyo said:
Is there a high resolution picture of a stuffed TwistedPear's RevC 1.1? I'd like to have a visual reference before I power up my first channel (which should be ready on the weekend).

Thanks

How about this > ?

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.