My 15" Sub - Project in progress

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have built the 100Hz LPF, and now that the sub is now only playing bass frequencies, I get a real boost. :D

As per the response graph (Attached), there is very little response below 65Hz, so I cant wait to have sound down to 35Hz. :D I cant wait to finish the LT! This will flatten the response to 35Hz. (Attached)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

mikee12345 said:
my jbl is still naked after 12months

my 360L 33hz basshorn will need something so it lasts a littlewhile..

While I wait for you to put enough mesurements of your horn to replicate it on your plans, I am going to design a ~40Hz basshorn with the Beta 15 I am using in my sub. :d

First off excellent job that thing looks like a killer.

Anyway, Bull said the driver is not meant to play 25hz and will brake over time, ie your box tuning to 25hz. This is complete nonsense. You can play a little iddy biddy tweeter at 25hz for the rest of its life it you want and it wont break and you can hardly say a tweeter is designed to play 25hz! All you have to look out for is excursion limits, the driver its self will not break playing a 1hz tone, but at 25hz it may move a bit more then it would at 35hz so it could suffer mechanical failure. However this would not be a thing that took a while, it would happen almost at once when the thing decided you were playing too much thru it and bumped its voice coil on the front and back plate smashing it to bits. You usually get a good few attempts at this if its a robust driver, but something will give.

What order xover should you use?? depends on the bass type of your main speakers. Are they sealed or ported. If sealed a 2nd order would be good, if ported a 4th order.

Oh and good to hear the linkwitz works great. If you get enough level with the sealed box and the transform then why not just leave it at that, dont bother making a huge whacking isobarik, or just make a sealed iso and linkwitz it again.

5th element said:
First off excellent job that thing looks like a killer.

Anyway, Bull said the driver is not meant to play 25hz and will brake over time, ie your box tuning to 25hz. This is complete nonsense. You can play a little iddy biddy tweeter at 25hz for the rest of its life it you want and it wont break and you can hardly say a tweeter is designed to play 25hz! All you have to look out for is excursion limits, the driver its self will not break playing a 1hz tone, but at 25hz it may move a bit more then it would at 35hz so it could suffer mechanical failure. However this would not be a thing that took a while, it would happen almost at once when the thing decided you were playing too much thru it and bumped its voice coil on the front and back plate smashing it to bits. You usually get a good few attempts at this if its a robust driver, but something will give.

What order xover should you use?? depends on the bass type of your main speakers. Are they sealed or ported. If sealed a 2nd order would be good, if ported a 4th order.

Oh and good to hear the linkwitz works great. If you get enough level with the sealed box and the transform then why not just leave it at that, dont bother making a huge whacking isobarik, or just make a sealed iso and linkwitz it again.

Yes, when playing a 30Hz sinewave through it, there was loads of excursion, so I may have a ~18db/oct HPF at ~25Hz to lessen the excursion.

Im using a 2nd order at the moment and it sounds fine. (I think its 2nd order, its 6db/oct. I think it sounds ok, I havent listened to it for too long, ill have to try some different CDs to test it.

Im leaving it as it is for now. :D I may get a Tempest or even a Tumult from Adire Audio if I can afford it. (£185/£550!) :bigeyes: This wont be for a while, so ill stick with what ive got. :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.