• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

My 12AX7 zero negative feedback preamp, with measurement

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2006
CCS means constant current source. IXYS is a manufacturer of solid state devices.

Bypassing the cathode degeneration resistor means you are putting an electrolytic capacitor in the signal path--it's just as much in the signal path as a DC blocking capacitor on the output would be.
Whatever criticisms can be made about global negative feedback, one cannot possibly argue that the very local one provided by an unbypassed cathode degeneration resistor can have negative sonic contribution, let alone one worse than the insertion of an electrolytic.

You should try an unbypassed resistor. If there's not sufficient gain, you can decrease its value; there are other means for adjusting the DC operating point. You might like the sound of the capacitor better, but you might not and end up preferring the linearized tube and lack of coloration from dielectric absorption and electrolytic nonlinearities.

Since there are interest in these, here is a close up photo :

12ax7_pre-3.jpg

I bought them from :

Sound Explorer Company
凱韻音响電子公司

Flat A, 7/F., Hamilton Comm. Bldg., 558-560 Nathan Road, Kowloon
Phone : +852 2332 1821

If you have a chance to pass by HK, buy some :)

jackinnj said:
Had to change the last pic since I had the BW set at 80kHz -- this is a plot of THD% from 20Hz to 100kHz -- but this isn't the entire story:

It is expected that the 2nd harmonic (and THD) will go down without the bypass capacitor, but did you noticed that 3rd harmonic went up? (as suggested by http://www.tubecad.com/2005/March/blog0039.htm )

MQracing said:

If it sounds half as good as your construction quality--- you'd have a real ear-pleaser!!!

MSL

Did I mentioned it sounds good? I really like how it sounds :)

Alex, in your design criteria, you mentioned second harmonic distortion. I didn't understand what you wrote; did you mean that you deliberately wanted to have some second harmonic or did you mean that you wanted it as low as possible, but with whatever is there dominated by second harmonic?

SY, I actually want some 2nd harmonic distortion because I want some "sweet" sounds.

I have done a Opamp balanced preamp which gives 0.0007% THD, with 2nd harmonics at 132dB below the fundamental. It sounds very accurate but at the same time it sounds too plain. That's why I want to try tube for its sweetness.

May be I am totally wrong about the relation between sweetness and harmonics distortion.... please share your view :)

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
Well, there was a much cheaper way to find out than build a tube amp--take your low distortion preamp and add some 2nd harmonic by software to a music file you rip to your computer...

If an amplifier is completely transparent, any euphonic distortion can be added by signal processing, which costs nothing.
If the amplifier is not transparent, then the type of distortion one can produce from it is limited by its inherent distortion, since it's very hard to fully characterize that distortion so that it can be canceled by predistortion in the signal processing.

alexw88 said:

How come you are getting 0.4% THD? That's 10x higher than mine. Can you post a FFT frequency spectrum showing the distortion content?

Because I am running the program flat out -- the THD% in an absolute sense is less important than the comparison between the bypassed and unbypassed RK -- done under identical conditions. If I engage the 400 Hz filter to get rid of the bumpies which arise due to the non-shielded nature of the filament leads, and the halogen which illuminates my workspace, etc.., etc. I will get a lower number. All I wanted to do was illustrate the THD% at identical output levels.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.