Must See! -> the Flag thread turns into more booze

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I vote for burbon!
Gotta love the super old spirits. I year ago a friend of mine got a bottle of 23 year old burbon for x-mas, and that didn't count the three years it sat in the bottle waiting for a buyer. It was incredible, smooth on the tongue and fire on the gut. Last time I saw him he still had some, got to call him soon.

Old Spirits

Savour that old bourbon, because there few things finer in life than a truly old spirit. I regret not more miserly with the bottle of scotch I had, but it was just too musty!!!

I am thinking of buying a few bottles of premium spirits and putting them into storage for a few decades. Any suggestions?

As for bourbon, I prefer Wild Turkey and Makers Mark.

At least there a few things in life that get better with age even if that does not include me!!

Lynn

Dave (planet10),

didn't like :vampire2:.. Frank's desire to have you drunk at a party for his entertainment. :grumpy:.. Next time we two have him at a party, i slip some very special headache pills in his beer :devilr:.. he won't taste it, he then won't notice what's going on, but the next day or so he will read in the newspaper what he did to the ladies and he then will not remember it, promised.
And ... some other nasty things :vampire3:.. i remember from the time i used to be a beer brewer.

Lynn,

so you seek replacement for your Glenlivet. Well, although i am almost anti-alcoholic, i have some hints in stock.
The older Glenlivets are wonderful but very straigth and unspectacular mainsttream malts. No fancy sherry cask finishing, no peaty or phenolic taste, nothing. Nevertheless i always was satisfied with Glenlivet 18ys or older.

You can try out James Bond's preferred one: The Macallan. As old as you can pay, gets better and better. I love the 18ys old. It's a sherry cask finish, very mellow round and complex. Probably the best whisky of them all.

Then, if you want it peaty, youu have to try the Lagavulin 16ys old. Unlike the smaller Islay Whiskys, it is as round mellow and complex. as the Macallan just with moderate peat note. BTW, this whisky is regularly in the 1st 3 places of the poll (together with Macallan), regardless of its low price (Euro 35 a bottle over here). There is no other whisky around having even fainlty the quality fo the Lagavulin at this price. IMO few whiskies reach that quality at all.

Now we leave the field of the nice mellow and calm ones.
The Talikser has more than just a faint hint of peat and already a slightly phenolic touch. Only for men not for boys.
10ys old is very good already, 17ys. ilke better.

If you want peat and phenolic taste combined, try the Oban. Hefty. As if you are getting smashed from coughing medicine.

The Longrow 10ys is a beast. No mellowness at all, apart from the fact it's containing 46% alcolhole which makes a noticeable differnece concerning taste intensity, its peaty taste is just explosive, a tiny drop explodes in the mouth and turns out to be very complex after you recovered from the shock. Strong peat note but practicall no phenolic character.
Rare hence expensive. It can show what even a 10ys old whisky can develop complexity. The 16 ys old is not as spirity, but as expoloisve and even more complex.

Comment by Allen Wright: "Fantastic experience but i could not drink a 2nd one, give me another Macallan" ... woossie :whazzat:...:)

The Springbanks is my personal favourite. It comes from the same distillery as the Longrow but has no peat note, else very similar to the Longrow. I have tried 12ys, 21 ys and 26ys unfiltered. The latter was the best. I got is a gift, it was a tiny bottle. I had a sad week behind me, it was kind of satisfied customer incentive. Train ride from Zürich to Munich, I put the small bottle between my legs for an hour or so inn order to get the whisky on body temperature, then i drank it, Anouar Brahem playing oud from my MD walkman, the slightly moving and rolling of th train, this drink. The best drink i ever had.
I must warn, a 26ys Springbanks costs $250. And worse, it is worth it and you are going to spend that money again.

Glenfiddich: stay away from the 5ys old , the 12ys old is okay but not more.

Johnnie Walker: they have one label colour which is a single malt (i remember it was the blue one). a very decent whisky, i once tried one in the hotel.
The other one's, well, blended ones like Chivas & Co., probably better.

Chival Regal, Dimple and the like ... don't ask, it's junk. Forgetabout the IMO tag, this is a Q of quality, not of taste.

I am amazed, I did not realize Makers Mark made it all the way to Austrailia. They are a fairly small operation for this area (Kentucky). What does a bottle run there? On the funny side the distilery is in a county where it is illegal to sell booze. I used to be a big fan of it, but now I usually drink Wild Turkey. The bottle my friend had was some form of a Van Winkle. Van Winkle dosen't have a distillery, they just buy surplus from local distilleries and age it for quite a few years. Then they charge the big bucks.

buying a few bottles of premium spirits and putting them into storage for a few decades
May be a good idea for whine, but not for whisky. It stops its "development" when it is bottled. After that, it is just getting older, not better. And, if you run out of luck, it just dies...

Congrats to Bernhard for his whisky essay. I agree to most of the points, especially concerning the 16 yr. Lagavulin. Among the Islays. I personally prefer the simple 10 yr. old Laphroig for its much more "powerful" taste; but I can't stand that too often :D .

My actual vote goes for a Highland whisky: http://whisky.com/brands/banff_brand.html

Whisky

If you guys are into Islay whisky, then you forgot the king, Ardbeg pre 1975. If you can find a bottle, they are becoming rare (like 6LF6), you have to give it a try. But it has to be the pre 1975.
The normal Lagavulin taste to must like iodine for my taste, but Lagavulin 1979 Pedro Ximenez is a real winner

Claus

I cheat when drinking LaPhroaig

I pour it over ice -

It's the only one that I do that with - the other single malts I take with "the dew on the rose" - a little water

The flavors shift with the temperature change and it is delicious when chilled - not so lagavulin to me, it doesn't taste well chilled - both are very strong iodine flavor to me at room temp.

Laphroaig chilled or Macallan are my favorites, Cragganmore is very nice also - I have never been able to find Ardbeg - Whisky distrubutorion channels in the US are limited to operations in various states - whisky laws are state by state so there is a patchwork effect in distribution - making it hard to find a number of types in different places -

I don't drink very much any more - but when I do single malts are at the top of the list - and generally the heavier peatier ones.

I've got most of the bar stocks in storage while we're renovating - one of the fun things about single malts is choosing - "which one will it be tonight? Thinking it over - much like selecting a cigar from a varied selection.

Ken

HBarske,

yes, indeed forgot the Laphroigh, and yes, this is strong medicine indeed tastewise.

I'm not too much into Islay malts, i prefer the non-peat stuff on the long run.
Therefore my clear preference for Springbank and yes, for The Macallan too.

Ken L
why do you call that cheating, chilling Laphroigh? It tastes best to you, that's okay.
Do you have to prove you're a man?
Methinks, you've proven that here already :nod:...:)

Claus,
i frankly admit i am not man enough for the Lindt 85% cacao. I don't go for it, i prefer the 70% version of it, rounder and more complex taste. The 85% is 85% for 85%'s sake in my book.

Ardbeg: tried it. We have an fantastic whisky shop in in Munich, the owner imports all sorts of stuff. Also so-called miniatures, bottles with 5cl content. I bought many of them, just to get an impression myself..better than believing in reviews.

The Ardbeg is rare indeed. I tried the 17ys old one and also the shopowner let me try a 1975 one from a bootle he had left from a whisky tasting. Mighty fine whisky but, considering its rarity, nothing worth the price to me. If i'd go for rare whiskies i am willing to pay an elevated price for, then it's the Longrow and Springbank for me. :)

Cask strenght: this indeed is hot asphalt to many; i would nevernever expose a whisky newbie to a cask strength. To me it is drinkable even pure because i take tiny sips anyway, and the mouth produces enough saliva within short. But cask stengh never was meant to be drunken unthinned, one usually has water at the table to thin it to the drinkers preference.

All,
i would recommend to stay away from independent bottlings. I once bought a "Macallan-Glenlivet" 25ys. which the shop owner advertised as Macallan without the original brand. I was expecting something outperforming the 18ys Macallan, i thot i had bought a bargain (Macallan in the 25ys range is over $300 and i had paid $125). Instead it was a disappointment, the bottle is still half full, most of drunken by guests and none of them asked for a 2nd one. Boring, just boring... this whisky. I expect it to evaporate thru the cork plug.
I heard of similar experiences made by relatives and acquaintants.
IMO those independent bottlings are just to catch fake "Lacoste"-shirt and fake Rolex buyers, reads: people owing the name/facade to their ego and bragging power without willing to pay for it.
They get what they deserve. Mee too, i learned my lesson. A genuine Lagavulin is way better (and honest to myself) that a fake Macallan. Yes, and genuine Macallan is still slightly better --- and costing factors.

Dave,
it looks like you are more anti-alcoholic than me :)
I have a nasty health problem (i may have mentioned to you already) and this keeps me strictly from touching alcohole at the moment, except now and then on one of those days i am feeling fine.

Now this 5cl could be too much for you:
Next scheduled for such an occasion is a Port Ellen 16ys cask strength. 63.9% alcohole, :cheeky:, should have a nice impact taste-wise ...:devilr:...definitely in the hot asphalt league :flame:

Spirits

Dave & Bernhard,

Actually I was very anti-alcoholic for many years since I come from a family that has a history of abusive drinkers. I did not even drink socially till I was in my late 20's and still drink very much in moderation, hence the fact that I have never been nor plan to get drunk. It took me a long time to realize that alcoholic drinks had their place in life, and could add immense pleasure to your life if used with caution and temperance. I respect anyone who wants to take the "tee-totaler" stand. Strong drink does always not make strong men, but rather usually makes blubbering fools.

Lligior,

Yes, we can get Maker's Mark here, runs about $50 to $60 for a 500mL? bottle.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I have not seen many of the labels listed here in any bottle shop I frequent. Australia tends to not have a huge selection, since we are at the bottom of the world and the exchange rate doubles or triples the cost of anything imported.

Lynn

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
BOOZE.

Hi fellows,

didn't like .. Frank's desire to have you drunk at a party for his entertainment. .. Next time we two have him at a party, i slip some very special headache pills in his beer .. he won't taste it, he then won't notice what's going on, but the next day or so he will read in the newspaper what he did to the ladies and he then will not remember it, promised.

Bernhard,

What gave you that idea?
Nah,I wouldn't do that to anyone,would I.

Gee,and I thought to invite you over for my birthday next year.
I have seond thoughts about that now. :rolleyes:

All,

Seems to me that those claiming to be anti-alcohol know waaay too much about it to be above suspicion,right?

Cheers guys,:cool:

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: BOOZE.

fdegrove said:
Seems to me that those claiming to be anti-alcohol know waaay too much about it to be above suspicion,right?

I'm not anti-alcohol, just very physically intolerant, Alcohol is though, the world's 2nd most serious drug problem after nicotine (probably because both are not treated as drugs) and should always be given respect. Like many drugs (tobacco excepted) it can have beneficial effects in moderation.

dave

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
MY FOOT IN IT,AGAIN...

David,

I apologize if you felt included.You already explained your physical intolerance to alcohol (maybe not on the forum).
Nonetheless,you were not one of these guys I was referring to.
Jokingly so I hasten to add.

I'm not anti-alcohol, just very physically intolerant, Alcohol is though, the world's 2nd most serious drug problem after nicotine (probably because both are not treated as drugs) and should always be given respect. Like many drugs (tobacco excepted) it can have beneficial effects in moderation.

I don't know about the situation in Canada that much,but in Europe alcohol abuse is a major problem.
It is a social drug that has been accepted for as long as I care to remember.
It can destroy a persons' health and families a long with it.
The problem is,it is so widely accepted,especially in commercial circles that it takes a lot of spine to avoid.
It is very hard to socialize outside ones' own home and not to drink alcohol.
I did that for years and people often asked me why I didn't drink at all.
To me it was just one of those things that didn't match with sports.
I sometimes suspected people thinking I was an ex-alcohollic trying to avoid the stuff at all cost.

Nowadays I drink a glass or two occasionally and strange enough I enjoy it more at home then in a pub.
When used with moderation alcohol (not the hard stuff IMHO) can soothe the nerves/stress.
But I'll always prefer quality over quantity.

Unfortunately I picked up smoking as well after having stopped sports.
I do feel that the dependency on sigarettes varies a lot from person to person.
I can easily do without for hours in a row,and should dropping it alltogether won't be a major problem to me.

Regards,:cool:

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
OUTER SPACE

Hi,

Yep.
Another Frank spaced out.
He actually lives close by but I never actually met him.

John,

I still owe you an answer on this one:

"Father-in-law" Frank, you're not married to a British decendant are you?

The header you picked up on is an overstatement: should have said "father in law to be".

We broke up before getting married but her dad was quite a character.
Lovely family,two daughters and living in a classified thatched cottage in Bishops Stortford.(hope I spell it correctly)
As a young man we spent a lot of holidays together,both in England and in the South of Spain.
Wish I had married her though,she had a fabulous personality.
My loss entirely.

See you,.;)

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Abuse of Legal Drugs

fdegrove said:
I apologize if you felt included.

none required. :cool:

I don't know about the situation in Canada that much,but in Europe alcohol abuse is a major problem.

It is probably a major problem in all non-muslim countries (which seem to have their own issues) -- and i'm not sure how the hindu & buddist cultures treat alcohol.

On the west coast there has been a very strong push to at least clean up drinking & driving and that seems to be working. Use of alcohol here is also heavily tempered by the fact that the best pot in the world -- and a lot of it (BC's largest agricultural crop dollar-wise) -- is grown in BC.

Smoking also gets heavily hit. Here in Victoria, you cannot smoke in a public building and the percentage of people who smoke tobacco is less than 20% in all of BC. Special efforts to get kids to never start are also being made and the rate there is <18%.

dave

Things don't always work that way

Frank,

Wish I had married her though,she had a fabulous personality.

I accidentally bumped into an ex. at a wedding this year. She looked haggard. She was on her third husband, and this one looked as she'd almost sucked the life from him.
-----Lucky escape!-------

Cheers,

Now, just because I say cheers, it doesn't automatically mean I'm going to have a drink. But I am this time!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.