much less crazy idea

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The compound output stage works this way.

You driver are a emitterfollower with a currentsense resistor inserted into the collecter. Your common emitter power BJT connected to the currentsense resistor will amplify the current through your driver transistor.

So your R11 and R12 (collector resistor) sets the currentgain or how hard you wants to load you driver transistor.

But R11 and R12 in large value will add a dominating pole to you outputstage. On the other hand a low value will let you driver transistor work harder for a given load.

Its your decission!?

Sonny

Also, how do I figure out what's going on with bias of the VAS, I know that if it's wrong, I'll have an offset at the output of the whole amp... I'm not sure how it's supposed to achieve bias with the current mirror in there. Does it simply balance itself when the offset from the output comes to the LTP and causes a bias change? or is it independant of that?

Well, could anybody answer my previous question about bias of the VAS, also. Anymore ideas to make this amplifier better? I found out that with the transformer I have, I'll have rails of +/- 80 volts, where my original supply voltage was to be about 65 or 70.
I will change my resistances where needed to compensate for voltage change, but I'm having trouble how I perform the VAS bias! Please, can anyone help me with that part?:(

It balances somewhat to zero.

Then you do what we call a trim.
The goal is to get no offset at output,
and to have exactly the same current
in the 2 LTPs.
That can require some changing of resistors.
And changing the current source supplying LTP.

Hope you can trim it!
figure out how?
What resistor to change?
You are smart, aren't you?
Paper and pen, and caculator.
No time limit!!!!!!! Like in school.
You Your Self see if you got all rights!!!!

gro:) ;)

tips draw up the current flows first.
messure and write in currents on your circuit drawing

messure volt/R=current
all currents going into circuit must come out at bottom.
sometimes current splits in 2 smaller,
and 2 currents can join to a bigger.
so some adding and subtraction gives the answer

How did trim GO?

Duo said:
Well, could anybody answer my previous question about bias of the VAS, also. Anymore ideas to make this amplifier better? I found out that with the transformer I have, I'll have rails of +/- 80 volts, where my original supply voltage was to be about 65 or 70.
I will change my resistances where needed to compensate for voltage change, but I'm having trouble how I perform the VAS bias! Please, can anyone help me with that part?:(

I just wonder if you did it

gro

:eek: That's not my website!

I've only ever flown once!

The site belongs to Luc Henderieckx, who helped me develop the amp.

The circuit is based on Douglas Self's Load Invariant amp. I believe that you would have probably come to the same circuit if you had continued to improve your design.

I'll try and attach an image of the schematic (my first time). Excuse the low quality, please.

Shaun

Attachments

• linvars2.jpg
    linvars2.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 246
e96mlo said:
Some questions:

1. Why do you have parallel transistors in the diff. stage?

2. It seems like you have a limiting transistor on the VAS. What for?

3. Wouldn't the current limiter be on all the time because of the resistor from base to supply?
/Marcus
If you double numbers of transistors you half the noise.
So 4+4 transistors would give 1/4 of the noise in one transistor.
I dont remember if it is -3dB or -6dB in signal/noise (SNR)
for every doubling.

That limiting transistor has to be normally off.

halo

1. They're not meant to be parallel. Think of them as alternatives. Use either MPSA56 or 2SA970 (I think); they have different pin-outs, so I made allocation for both options on the revised PCB.

2. The Vas needs current-limiting for when the VI protection kicks in. But this current limit is set higher than the standing current of the Vas class A stage, so it will not normally come into play.

3. No. (a) There is a voltage divider formed by the other resistors
(b) These are not the final resistor values.
(C) This is not the final protection circuit. I would like to
have triple-slope SOAR protection as per last year's
Electronics World.

Shaun

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.