• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Mr White's "Opus", designing a simple balanced DAC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Nice Job Freak. :) I dig it.

Lot of case to spare in there for sure. :yes:

Steen,

I have not forgotten you, I just killed a receiver I meant for you (trying some experimental stuff before I sent it off) and I am awaiting parts for a rebuild. :)

Marc, I also have a little something coming your way, just a small token of my gratitude for all the lovely heatsink you have sent me. :) Here is a hint, no need to order an Opus for you... :)

Thanks to everyone, and especially thanks for the progress report on the build Freak. :) Very very cool. :cool:

Cheers!
Russ

Bi-amping with two USB-DAC and PC-Xover

This is possible :D

Today I tryed an internal PC sound card together with DDDAC USB converter. ASIO4ALL software assigns two ASIO channels to each sound card and Foobar sees and plays on all 4 channels.

So there is a way to have as many ASIO channel you want and use software Xovers.

My couple of OPUS DAC are on the way, the problem is to wait for USB converters still to be released.

fierce_freak said:
Yep :)

[... great pics ... ]

The heatshrink on the power entry module and power switch were taken care of after these shots. Also, you can see I left myself room for additions like an output stage (a la zapfilter) or for a clock.

Looks very nice! One comment though: Should you not have used shielded wiring, at least a decent coax cable for the SPDIF input?

I'm still wayting for the new SPDIF board, USB interface, and multimexper boards to be finished. SPDIF is great, but a decent USB interface is even better :)

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Russ White said:
Perhaps someday. but there is so much on my plate right now I would not hold your breath. :)

Oh i know what it is like... we are finally shipping betas of the Frugel-Horn flat-pak -- that only took since last Sep to get together :)

dave

PS. Have you looked at fixing your web site yet? Works in FireFox (3rd string browser), it crashes Safari (2nd string), and iCab (primary) gives the attached error but none of the navigation links work)

Attachments

• twistedpear-error.png
    twistedpear-error.png
    22.9 KB · Views: 771
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
It is more likely a browser specific issue -- javascript is guaranteed to break somewhere sometime as there is no standard. And with the wide range of browsers people use on the Mac they are just more likely to run into them.

I don't know enuff about using the javascript debugger in iCab to get much meaningful for you, but this might say something....

Program halted by the user
(483) http://www.twistedpearaudio.com/scripts/wz_tooltip.js

The error reporter also shows a number of CSS & HTML errors. Mail me and i'll do what i can to help you debug it. Personally, i just never use javascript.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
That got rid of the long wait for the loop to complete. Main page loads in promtly. In iCab the menus for navigation still don't work -- they don't even show up in the status bar (they work in Safari)

In the code they look pretty much like standard html links (except for the class thing). I'll email Alexander (the 1 in the 1.5 developers for iCab) -- he'll be interested and might be able to shed some light.

dave

fierce_freak said:
I did actually use a 75 ohm coax cable's core for the spdif connection, but I did use some shielded wire to connect ground to the spdif in's shield.

You scraped the coax, so you can also scrap the 75 Ohms.. I guess it would be better to leave the as-is. Oh well, for that short distance, it probably doesn't matter that much anyway.

planet10 said:

And Firewire would be better yet... Brian/Russ, any chance we'll see a FireWire module (i do know it is a considerably greater challenge then the USB)?

While Firewire is great as a standard, is really sucks when it comes to audio chips, let alone drivers for it. The USB stuff, you just plug in, and your ready to go. No need for any drivers, and it works on windows, OSX, en linux. Great fun!

4real said:

While Firewire is great as a standard, is really sucks when it comes to audio chips, let alone drivers for it. The USB stuff, you just plug in, and your ready to go. No need for any drivers, and it works on windows, OSX, en linux. Great fun!

I agree, fire-wire is for speed/data intence hardware. A audio device such as a DAC will never even closely use the amount of bandwidth need that Fw400-800 can supply.

Usb is just fine, plus there are more supported chip's. ie plug'n play.

jleaman said:

I agree, fire-wire is for speed/data intence hardware. A audio device such as a DAC will never even closely use the amount of bandwidth need that Fw400-800 can supply.

Usb is just fine, plus there are more supported chip's. ie plug'n play.

Firewire in Audio is important because of it's low latency compared to USB more than it's transfer speed. Admittedly it would be of little use in this specific application, but for multichannel recording and playback in a studio environment it's indispensable. Also, USB doesn't work well in certain measurement applications because of the polling latencies.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.