• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Mr White's "Opus", designing a simple balanced DAC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
We have the WM8804 board designed and will be ordering them soon. I am just completing a few other board designs that will go at the same time. Especially the USB interface and BAL->SE converter.

We plan to use the Wolfson part in place of the current SPDIF modules, for many reasons, not least of which is that it suits our purposes better, and has better specs than the CS8416.

Since we like it so much we can't see a good reason to offer two boards that do the same thing right now. If there is enough demand we may bring the CS8416 board back at some point.

Enjoy your modules, let us know how you like them.

Cheers!
Russ

Sneak Preview

Here is the layout for the WM8804, just to give you an idea.

The four bicolor LEDs show the status of the SPDIF signal. The GEN_FLAG would typically be run up to the front to indicate a good lock and valid audio signal.

The PCB can also be used simply to de-jitter SPDIF, in which case you would use both the SPDIF input and output.

You could also take digital audio audio input from some other source as I2S or RJ (any of the supported formats) and output SPDIF.

Of course most often it will simply input SPDIF and output I2S on the AIF terminals. :)

Cheers!
Russ

Attachments

• pcb.jpg
    pcb.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 1,157
fierce_freak said:
Sounds good, Russ. Will the new assembled receiver be about the same price as the current if I decide to try it out a bit from now?

Yes, it will cost about the same.

The CS8416 is an excellent receiver BTW, especially if you utilize the differential input like we did, its just the WM8804 seems a bit better. Time will tell.

Cheers!
Russ

fierce_freak said:
I've received my boards and kit and planned to use two dac boards in dual differential mode. I don't have any extra jumpers for DIFFHW, so I took the jumper off of DM1 to use for it. There's a pull-up, so I don't need a jumper there, correct? Thanks :)

Sure you could do that, but I would probably do mute instead as it is also internal pull up. :)

Sorry you did not have enough jumpers.

keep us posted please. :)

Cheers!
Russ

Yep :)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The heatshrink on the power entry module and power switch were taken care of after these shots. Also, you can see I left myself room for additions like an output stage (a la zapfilter) or for a clock.

fierce_freak said:
Nope, it was a nice little relaxing build. I have stuffed much more complicated boards before, though (amb's Beta22).

Hi fierce_freak. How does it sound and compared to what?:) I would appreciate a little more details, if possible:) I am really looking forward to find out, if the advantages of a balanced DAC output is noticeable.
I did put together a preamp based on the Joshua and the Darwin not so long ago. The kits were almost too easy to assemble;) Man, you should drop the labelling:D People needs a little challenge;)

Steen:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.