Mr. Bates, your focused arrays...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
@Melo Theory: Thanks for your answers.
I was thinking of having a 1,6 m tall FA.
But is there really any point in starting with the elements from the floor?

I´m considering, having my shaded CBT in mind, to add resistors in series with the elements (4 ohm) and then have them all coupled in parallell.

In your experience, have you noticed any negative effects of having a number of elements in series? Or, what configuration of elements gives the least distorsion in your opinion?

Haha! solhaga....
Which do you want? CBT, straight, or focused?
Are you going to do amplitude shading?
Shading is only beneficial with the CBT as far as I can see.
I just wire in series / parallel, to achieve the N impedance of a single driver.
In this case it was 3x3, in the straight array I'm working on right now it's 5x5.

Ok, how far down or up the drivers are from center only matters if you want more controlled dispersion lower in frequency.
Just make sure the center driver is faced directly forward, perpendicular to the floor, 90 degrees. Also at ear height, that way the focal point is consistent at distance.
Yeah, don't bother with resistors, that will just waste power.
Just wire series / parallel.

Some more questions, in what way will the FA affect the CTC hf rolloff (or destructive combing in other words)? Better or worse (higher or lower rolloff frequency)?

In my CBT work I experimented with some coarse textures such as burlap in between the elements:

DSC_0166%255B1%255D.JPG

Do you think it, or any other diffractional material, makes any difference for the hf rolloff?

Are those the little jordans?
You have deep pockets brother!
So, if you are making a focussed array, there should be no combing.
that material is to create diffraction to combat driver beaming?
Hmm.....
I'm not sure that would do anything.
If you wanted to try a CBT with FR drivers...you could try the hiwave BMR's
They are supposed to have the dispersion of a 1" tweeter. ( sorry, 2.54 cm :) )

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=297-210

Yes it is Jordan/EAB E60. As I thought that a line array must match my ribbons, I had to go for somewhat good drivers.
I haven´t got deep pockets, it´s more like it is hole in them.

I realize that CBTs are not the answer, but it was fun building them. CBTs are good, but not as a home high fidelity component.
They are for addressing an audience in a somewhat larger room/hall.
And then they should be upside down.

It´ll be easy to convert the CBTs into FAs using my building concept.

Could you elaborate on "if you are making a focussed array, there should be no combing"?

Has anyone compared the tc9 paper cone vs. the fiberglass cone. I would like to know witch is best. I have been looking at the Tangband W4-1052SDF to do the job

Hey Frank - yes, I have. Rising response is your friend when it comes to line arrays. These drivers are so cheap that you can afford to try them out yourself.

My recommendation is the glassfiber cone. It justifies the price difference. It does not sound shouty, it does not exaggerate anything. But, and this is just MY opinion which I know is not commonly shared, it has not good enough high treble extension. Maybe the Fostex ff85k really is the ideal driver here.

Then again - I might be wrong.

/Pontus

focused array.

There is no combing.

Your ears are the same distance from all the drivers.
No smear.
No delay.
No loss in high frequency.

Take the sound of 1 driver.
Now make it cleaner and less distorted.
Or you can listen to it much louder before the voice sounds strained.
Just remember, you have the limitations of the total cone area.
If an 8" doesn't cut the mustard for you, then a bunch of 2" that equal cone area of an 8" won't either.

I myself need a crossover unfortunately (big room,thumpy bass music).
Listening to Chantay Savage now (can it be, and for your love), long bass notes and full range drivers don't mix.
http://www.amazon.com/This-Time-Chantay-Savage/dp/B00000JJIK
So, even if I had a 12" full range driver, I'd need a crossover (maybe not you though).

Solhaga,
Those jordans should make for a phenomenal sound (focused).
Exceptional detail like an electrostat, without the 6' tall guitar sound.
Strangest thing on mine, the sound seems to come from the middle 3.

Pnotus,
I agree, a rising response helps, for a flat array.
Like audience lsa4.
Its driver has a rising response.

But a word of warning.
A tall focused array blasts a lot of info past your head (chair, couch) that zings around the room.
I'm used to narrower dispersion, so someday soon I'll have to treat the back 1/3 of the room.

Norman

Last edited:
Hi,

A stupid question. I can imagine the 'focus' effect, but how would it sound when we listen outside of that pinpoint focus?

One step further, how do you compare a perfectly focused concave array with other types of curve, say, a j-type, or other asymmetric curvy shape?

Thanks in advance :)

Last edited:
Well let´s see if the way forward will be a step forward.
I´ll build them and then evaluate them.

It´ll be a tiny sweet spot, I know.
But better a tiny spot where the sound is sweet than no spot at all.

Well great!
As long as you know the limitations of the design going in, you will be very pleased with the outcome!
I always look at it like this.....
How many audiophiles live in one house?
Usually 1.
So let's build a speaker that does everything great for that 1 person.
It's your own special spot In the house to enjoy what an audiophile cares most about.
Wow! That would be a great add!
"Forget the world outside and pamper yourself with a focussed array"
hahaha!

Last edited:
Hi,

A stupid question. I can imagine the 'focus' effect, but how would it sound when we listen outside of that pinpoint focus?

One step further, how do you compare a perfectly focused concave array with other types of curve, say, a j-type, or other asymmetric curvy shape?

Thanks in advance :)

Well, Jon answered your first question.
As far as the second....that doesn't look like a J shape to me.
But, you know how a focussed would compare to J or convex array.....
It's common sense. Are you messing with us? :D
(isn't Radugazon's listening room awesome? And he always goes big with his designs....much respect!)

But a word of warning.
A tall focused array blasts a lot of info past your head (chair, couch) that zings around the room.
I'm used to narrower dispersion, so someday soon I'll have to treat the back 1/3 of the room.
Norman

Yes Jon but.....as the vector sum continues past the cross point (sweet spot), HF power response gets more and more diffused, so the room gets illuminated evenly.
It would be best to sit away from the rear wall and have the focal point away from that wall as well.

fast for me.

200hz crossover messes up men's voices to me.

100hz seems ok (depending on the quality of the crossover).

Is FA a step forward ?
It is for some.

Norman

200Hz is not a FAST in my opinion.....it's an FRA.
To me, a FAST must crossover low enough for a true subwoofer to take over.
That means a separate non-localizable sub.
An FRA would consist of a helper woofer that can share an enclosure, and can be crossed up to a certain frequency (maybe we can take a poll on this) before calling it a 2 way.

Full
Range
Assisted

(I'm trying to coin this term)

:p

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.