Mr. Bates, your focused arrays...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
focusedarraytbtitanium.jpg

Nope.

I'm not a fan of flat line arrays.
I hear that also, it is smear, hearing the closest drivers then all the others hitting you but delayed, 1 after the other for a stretched out signal.

The "kuze array" using 32 x 2", you can see that on the transient graph, a sharp edge, then spike spike spike (all the other drivers).
Kuze3201step.jpg

I hear electrostats now as a 6' tall guitar, and it drivers me nuts.
Similar to a closeup of someone's lips on a movie screen.
Some have referred it (a flat array) as a "big top" sound.

The last 6' tall array I heard seemed exaggerated also even 30' away.

I'm not sure what limited vertically means.
Some full range driver setups seem to image a little above the speaker.

What's weird with mine is when aimed at you, the sound seems to be coming from the middle 3.

I need more cone area than a single small driver can do, I don't like whizzers, and here is a solution. It is more room filling than my 4 x 4" tang band bamboo arrays. I think the cone profile is flatter.

limited vertically is meant because I heard/read somewhere that when you stand up and are walking around the room it sounds much different than sitting down and listening to them(normal line arrays) due to the way that the drivers are interacting. I think its supposed to be similar to how MTM speakers limit the vertical dispersion as well.

In which sense do you mean a 'normal line array'?

Hmm. Last I checked, the point of a nearfield array, i.e. one where you remain within the Fresnel zone, is that they are extremely directional vertically, to the point where you can sit, stand, lie flat on the floor or whatever, and the sound does not change. Essentially, you only hear what is at ear-height, the precedence effect suppressing the later-timed signals, even if they are at a higher amplitude. As it happens, that's why nearfield arrays provide vile impulse responses: the measurement gear doesn't generally take this into account. If you find some that does (don't ask me, I've no idea if any exists), it would look rather different.

A focused array like the one here, by definition, is focused onto a particular point, or moderately sized area. Unlike a nearfield array, by definitition, the sound will significantly change if you move away from that point / zone. Different strokes for different folks. Or the same -I like both types, for different reasons. As has been said, a focused array is essentially a ruddy great big point-source created in a somewhat esoteric fashion. And why not? Makes life interesting.

Last edited:
Yes, there is no better way to achieve wide even spectral coverage than a straight line source or an omni point source. I guess an omni-line source would be the Holy grail for this type of radiation. I had planned on building one that I have designed....I actually have all the wood cut, I'm just not that into it.
I will post the design and if you guys think it's credible, I will build it.
I will post it in a couple of hours. I gotta go.

Hey frank.
Those drivers are the tang band 4" titanium cones. I think they are awesome.
That last photo is a vector drawing of something I was thinking of building. Its a straight line array, using full range drivers. They are positioned firing sideways into acoustic lenses in order to simulate an omni pattern. I wanted to try this to see if it will resolve the problem of comb filtering do to CTC spacing. Also, it being an omni source will have an even - in - room power response. (no BSC filter)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.