MPP

I use 6800uF elcaps, the golden vintage Röderstein, decoupled with 2.2uF vintage Wima MKB and 10nF Styroflex lokally. OPamp are deoupled with 330uF Nichcon Muse or Elna Silmic2. I use 0.1 to 1uF foil ( Wima MKT2 or Rifa SMR) from pin 4 to pin 7. No further foils to ground. That is a bit unusual but i had never problems with oscilation, even with the very fast AD797 or LME49713.
I get vintage parts from a friend, Jürgen Hensler that stores the parts like a vintage wine and formates them each year. The Rödersteins are in such a good shape that i can
make centimeter long sparks from my special lead acid bateries. I know, some people claim that lead acid sounds bad. Beleave me, the ones that i am using have good kharma.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Salas, this is more of a concept. I am dicussing this issue with Sigurd all the time and he hates elcaps. Lets see what works best. The current sources are J511 or something like that. I heard they are now obsolete because of ROHS.

No RC it may be, since the cascode will not correlate noise with the JFETS underneath and its contribution will not be direct, but the LEDS can still be some infrared instead of blue.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Good components. Using them for decoupling too.

Attachments

• B+dcpl.gif
    B+dcpl.gif
    22.7 KB · Views: 404
I use 6800uF elcaps, the golden vintage Röderstein, decoupled with 2.2uF vintage Wima MKB and 10nF Styroflex lokally. OPamp are deoupled with 330uF Nichcon Muse or Elna Silmic2. I use 0.1 to 1uF foil ( Wima MKT2 or Rifa SMR) from pin 4 to pin 7. No further foils to ground. That is a bit unusual but i had never problems with oscilation, even with the very fast AD797 or LME49713.
I get vintage parts from a friend, Jürgen Hensler that stores the parts like a vintage wine and formates them each year. The Rödersteins are in such a good shape that i can
make centimeter long sparks from my special lead acid bateries. I know, some people claim that lead acid sounds bad. Beleave me, the ones that i am using have good kharma.

Why do you need 6800uf elcaps if you are using battery, I would of thought battery eliminates the need for this large value , is it in parallel to battery. What series of muse cap do you use. Do you like vintage Philips polycarbonate caps.

Regards
AR

I use the 6800uf elcaps locally, two per channel to reduce the local impedance. The wires from the battery and the battery itself can have high impedance at high frequencies.
I have no experience with Phillips MKC but i use the pink Röderstein MKC in my subsonic filter. They sound excellent. Polycarbonate has a very linear temperature coefficient but is obsolete now. The new material that is used for low tempco is PPS. See the Rifa SMR series or their SMD PPS caps. I thinK Wima also makes PPS SMD caps. They are used in cars for example where uge temperature differences are common. Cyril Bateman measured very low distortion in them, so they are also recommended for audio.

Why do you need 6800uf elcaps if you are using battery, I would of thought battery eliminates the need for this large value

We measured a wide range of batteries when looking at doing a battery powered phonostage.

They all had a HUGE amount of LF noise, rising from unmeasureable at 1kHz to as bad as -60dBV at 10Hz, my then lowest measuring frequency. Just horrific.

Most I guess coming from bubble formation on the plates.

So a BIG elco is needed to handle this noise, and also add some speed to the batteries output, as Joachum said. Otherwise you are depending on a chemical reaction, which is not exactly fast in our terms.

Regards, Allen