MPP

OK I thought about that you said "shouldn't tonearm matter pretty much nothing with light cartridge" but with diamond and cantilever, suspension etc it is still a mechanical system. The optical system here is an additional complication to this.

There is of course a difference... at least in my head. :)
In a "normal" cartridge with coils - the resonances makes actal sound - because the coils move with the resonances. While a light cartridge don't have that problem, because the coil "microphone" doesn't exist - if it doesn't mess up it's reading in some way because the cartridge moves with the resonances.

This is why i would think that tonearm would have less importance with this cartridge... i could be wrong of course :)

The "loads of information missing" is faulty playback - equivalent to too acutely hearing pops and crackle and rumble in vinyl - fixable, in that the information is in the CD, just the replay chain has to be made better ...

Yes, I have had plenty of occasions where a CD I know well is played on another system, and half the sound disappears down a black hole - the gremlin within the audio system just discards large quantities of low level sound information - and the poor silver disk can't do anything about that ... ;)

I got to play with the DS-1 optical cartridge for a week and it has made me re-think what is possible with vinyl playback.

The cartridge is extremely quiet with very good dynamics and has a slightly different presentation.

Alignment is more critical with this cartridge..............but at the end of the day I want one.

Jam