MPP

Stefanoo... I could argue the same regarding your speakers your amplifiers ect ect..I could claim all you have is slow, sluggish and without any resolution, but it really makes no sense for me to do so.. :)

All that happens here is that you create an environment where most will be against you. To be frank you have not contributed anything of value , my take on that is that you don't simply don't understand more than a fragment of what goes on in a circuit...Like Joachim said, design something, build it, measure it and than we can talk again...

Cool down, gentlemen

That set up is crap!!! You are lucky if you can hear 40% of the information cut on the vinyl!

This is what makes me wonder...!!!

Again if you want a really educated critic on the paradise we can take it off line.
Conversely, if you want to continue getting feedbacks from people who don't know what the heck they are talking about..it's your choice.

I know you are a professional designer and that you know better than this!

I think the name if this forum was "Do It Yourself Audio", so mentioning
Boulder, Accuphase etc. may be a little bit off topic - unless you can tell
their specific virtues, probably in comparison to circuits in discussion here.

It may also be useful if you built one phono preamp or two and want to
share your ideas and opinion about details. We all know where to buy (or
borrow) commercial units and any result of careful comparison will be of
interest here - but again only in the light of Do It Yourself.

What do we want, how can we learn are the topics, not just name dropping
and system talk. The name of this thread is MPP - my Phono Pre - (not
Mutual Preamp Police) and it has become a lot more in the meantime.

Ones more :
What does the Paradise do different :
1 : falling distortion with rising frequency because of the transimpedance principle. This is in strict opposite to what high overall feedback designs do.
This does not come with an overload penalty ( 14dB at 20kHz ) that passive designs have
2 : very high speed
3 : very low noise, much lower 1/F noise then JFet designs so the bass is cleaner
4 : monotonic falling distortion with falling level
5 : extremely short and simple signal path. I count only 4 PN junctions.
6 : input offset can be trimmed, that also gives distortion cancelation because it is a local feedback loop
7 : DC coupled provided that the input transistors are thermally coupled
8 : On board shunt regulator designed by Mr. PSU Frans.
9 : local RC filtering for optimum transient response
10 : RIAA can be trimmed to any desired precision
11 : default RIAA values give the Böressen " Warm Slam"
12 : externel PSU can be used
13 : external RIAA can be used
14 : optional "infamous" Naumann pole
15 : input resistance variable from 10kOhm down to any lower value
16 : good industrial components used to avoid any "exotic" flavor
17 : cost efficient
18 : silver plated good quality PCP, layout by Hesener
19 : "benign" servo, much out of the signal path
20 : can be build by a semi experienced DIY amateur
21 : well documented, constantly updated building guide by Hesener
22 : German and American forum
23 : Pre Regulator on the way
24 : cost efficient group buy
25 : over 300 sets out there give tremendous feedback and practical knowledge base

This is what the great man has to say :
Interview With HP: #1 : HPSoundings

Pavel, there have being numerous measurements and simulations published on this thread. The BJTs have an Rbb of 30 Ohm and 10 Ohm emitter resistors.
They are run on 2.5mA each. That is the optimum compromise between noise and distortion. 8 are in parallel so 40 / 8 plus the contribution of the idle. Noise impedance is certainly under 10 Ohm with very low 1/F.
I measured with an anti RIIA that has its pole at around 300kHz and a 10Khz square.
The Paradise was tracking up to the pole.

Yeah, definitely but one man has to face the moment of truth and need to swallow your pride and own it up. I built the R3 and i am very happy with it. IMHO it is better than the Herron Audio phonostage in my set up. I am waiting for the supercap for the riaa. My brother with a similar high end system had a listen to it and his complaint was it is not silky smooth. :D

You will be up for a big surprise!!
I had just the opportunity to test them today on my implementation and the difference is huge compared to the already excellent Aura T!

I don't know your previous phono stage.
Just a curiosity: what cartridge do you have?

Stefanoo,

you've come a very long way in half a decade.
Some modesty comes a long way too.
Remember ?

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/73543-ax100-100w-aleph-x-monoblocks-5.html#post1226088
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/101993-pi-filter-clc-vs-crc-vs-c-2.html#post1215907

As for Boulder phono stages, here's my two cents :
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/parts/229973-when-use-high-grade-caps-3.html#post3400716

The older I is, the more silky smooth my (remaining) hair becomes. :clown:

The Audio Research is way noisier, full, fat and stupid. Not my cup of tea and obsolete in a
minute. What version, what modification ?

I don't think you have listen to it carefully.
Just give a listen to the latest reference!

I personally find the paradise dull and lack of lifelike.
Highs are not oxygenated nor too refined.
I am not talking about lack of silky but lack of refinement.

Bass response is fat and not really articulate IMHO!

My thoughts are referring that to the pinnacle of audio.

Conversely given the price to make it and everything is certainly a giant killer.
I really think it is a simple cheap design but with a lot if quality compared to the price tag.
Nevertheless like you outlined and I too, this is not the cutting edge if phono equalizer nor ultimate if design.
It has a lot of potentials IMHO and very interesting topology.

This us what I think about it my two cents..you can humbly take it ur just forget about it and move on.
I don't have any personal issue with anybody here nor prideful or jealousy thing here..I am really giving you my honest two cents.

Cheers!