MOX - active crossover

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Tylantyr, thanks, very constructive comment.:whazzat:

I believe what Jens does is just great and I appreciate his help and his boards once they are available. So keep the good work up, Jens!

I would appreciate if we can have only one board version which could use both discrete and ordinary opamaps like you oulibed it before as I like to test the difference by plug and play with them.

Blitz said:

I would appreciate if we can have only one board version which could use both discrete and ordinary opamaps like you oulibed it before as I like to test the difference by plug and play with them.

I agree, even if I'll probably go with discrete opamps nothing prevents us from making the boards in order to accept both.

Cheers

Andrea

moamps opamp

Hi,

I can't really say, if the opamp performs like a normal opamp you can. However since the open loop gain is smaller, acording to moamps, I'm not sure what will happen in an EQ circuit. - try it and tell us about it :)

I don't know about about the specs of moamps descrete opamp, perhaps a thread about descrete opamps is an idea?

moamps can you post specs on the opamp for us?

\Jens

Re: moamps opamp

JensRasmussen said:
moamps can you post specs on the opamp for us?

Hi,

Measured values are:
open loop gain is ca 45dB, f(-3dB) is ca 30kHz
for gain=0dB, f(-3dB) is around 300kHz.

Please, give me particular values for one example of notch or peak and expected frequency response, I will make experiment and measurements with two spare discrete opamp and place here results.

regards

Test of opamp

Hi,

fo=10khz
Peak = 15 dB
Q=3

Thanks moamps :)

Try this:

Attachments

• test.jpg
    test.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 1,303
Re: Inductors and EQ

JensRasmussen said:
Well you can use inductors, BUT in the case above you would need one wopping 2.4 [H] ! I think that is inpractical for most people?

Hi,
but with a C=1nF, L will be .24H.;)
Nongyr eq can work very well. In this case we need only 2 or maybe 4 inductors, what can be interesting design.
Inductors are little bit expensive, but to me one old eq with inductors sounds better than those with gyrators.

regards

Hi,

it is possible to wound any inductor for audio filter in ferrite body like on picture. (from conrad, one complete inductor will cost ca 10€). I think that we need only one or two eq in active filter with gentle correction (not higher than 6-12dB). Everything more means that speaker or something else is maybe faulty. To many eq's in filter will tend to destroy sound, IMHO. I will make some experiments with inductor based eq (with discrete opamp) for middle decade (from ca 500Hz to ca 5kHz) in next few weeks. Results will be published here.

Regards

PS

In 2/2004 hobby-hifi magazine (German) someone can find good article about active-passive crossovers and derivates.

Attachments

• kern.jpg
    kern.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 1,251
To promitheus

Hi,

Just a note before you go and calculate alot on the EQ section for your filter.

You can NOT use the formulas for BP and BS filters for your EQ and get valid results.

An EQ section is NOT the same!

This means that the BW=fo/Q equation does not hold.

It's bettet to draw the grafs and see what you get.

\Jens

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.