MOX - active crossover

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Re: opamp

JensRasmussen said:
Hi,

could the be to everyones liking?

The two opamps are placed under a socket for a larger IC, this could connect up to the descrete opamp module.

I worry about insertion force and bending pins on male connector when removing a large socket head plug. This used to happen a lot
on our Micro with RAM modules in the first company I worked for. We put a machine pin socket on the pins so a pin would break off the socket rather than the micro module which were several hundred bucks each! It would be nice to be able to use a D.A.M.N.* with other
boards with socketed op amps.

*Discrete Amplifier Moduler Network (to cut down on typing in future references).

Can I get a status update on what the proposed group buy is for? The wiki implies

1. discrete OPAs
2. balanced

yet the thread seems a bit schizophrenic on both these points. Personally I'd like to see ICs rather than opamps; a buy that is cheap enough to order a stack of boards seems more useful to me than one that shoots the moon quality-wise.

As has been pointed out one could always adapt a discrete opamp to the IC footprint, and if you are really serious about quality you aren't going to use these boards with jumpers all over the place, you would probably rebuild the circuit discrete once you knew exactly what filters to use.

I am with you. The good thing is that the wiki has shown a good level of fairly the same demand:

- 24 stereo or 48 mono-boards
- 6 of them three way, the rest two-way
- most of them with 12 db
- everybody wants discrete opamps, which results in approx. 220 pcbs for discrete opamps
- Nearly everyone wants regs with it
- few (like me) want the option of equalization.

So, I think that Moamp's design fits the bill quiet well. IF Jens comes up with something that is more flexible, great. ualization options etc. should be available as separate boards as few want them. In order to proceed it would be good to understand from Jens what the design of the final product will be and if it is more or less MOX's design or something else. If it is something else, Lets than use the Wiki to understand iif anyone wants that, because the wiki was started for the MOX as it says.

So, the good news is that we could reach a critical mass in board which can bring price down when we get consensu on the design.

My idea

Hi all,

I haven’t done any work on the filter since there was too much confusion about the different thing that people wished for.

I wish to have the following configuration on the boards:

-1 input filter and X dB of gain
-2.nd or 4.th order filters configurable by jumper
-1 LP and 1 HP filter pr. PCB. A section can be bypassed via a jumper.
-2 EQ sections pr. PCB
-1 channel pr. PCB (More will make the PCB huge)
-No power supply on board other than capacitors
-I prefer dual opamps, but I’m willing to make two versions of the PCB to satisfy the people that want the discrete opamps.
-1 output buffer with gain adjustment to accommodate different amp sensitivities.

I need to figure out how to make the EQ sections, any ideas are welcome - Maybe like the analog mixers??

Do I get a go or no go for launch of schematics drawing?

\Jens

I, too, would like to buy some of these boards, (2 each : 2 way and PS), but being new to this posting stuff, I don't know where to tell someone this. I can watch the forum, but I don't want to miss out. I've been waiting forever (ok, almost forever) for the Pass xover, and now it looks like the MOX will slow that down by being close to what Mr. Pass had intended to post. I don't want the boat to leave without me, is all I'm saying. Thanks.

If the eq-sections can be bypassed and the boards can configured as well for three-ways, I am in.

Jens, I think one open question of the group was your intention: Do you intend to do this just for fun, so in the best spirit of DIY as a non-profit-project like Hifizen/Grataku did the Aleph-X or not ? I think taht's an important question to get the committment of the group.

It all sounds good

Guys, I've been lurking on this thread, and I would be REALLY interested in something very configurable.

I don't know if I want to use discrete op-amps, but it would be cool to have the option to use them. I like the idea of a separate power supply board, as there are a number of folks around (Per-Anders being one) that have super-regulators and other low noise power supplies already available. I like the idea of a couple of EQs per channel (one boost, one notch?) to iron out driver frequency response flubs. I've talked to Jens about an all-pass time delay board that could be the last stage for a tweeter and midrange to time align with the woofer. It would be great to see a separate adjustable global EQ board for room modes.

If all the options were available, then folks can pick and choose - 2-way, 3-way, 4-way (just order more boards and cascade), with EQ or without, with room compensation or not, with discrete op-amps or not, etc. I know I would certainly sign up, and I bet a lot of other folks would too. The group buy could accomodate the "less is more" crowd looking to do a simple 12-dB 2-way with discrete op-amps, but could also accomodate an ambitious 4-way project with asymetric slopes, driver and room EQ and time alignment.

I've been waiting for this thread to fire back up again. Can everbody come to a consensus?

Jens, we are in agreement. I don't need the EQ, but if people want it... By using KISS the boards are flexible enough to be cascaded but hopefully still cheap for each individual board. No need to take the atomic bomb approach and leave 50% of the board unpopulated for many folks. ;)

I am hoping for balanced and dual opamps. Ideally each board would have jumpers and pads so that it could be used for HP and LP , or bandpass, as desired. Otherwise half of every board is wasted in the non-bandpass scenario.

Assuming these boards stay small enough that they are affordable I would want at least six. If they are really cheap at least double that many.

Even if you don't agree 100% with this design I can't imagine anyone who builds speakers not wanting a few of these...think about how quickly you could prototype!

My idea

Hi all,

I wish to have the following configuration on the boards:

-1 input filter and X dB of gain
-2.nd or 4.th order filters configurable by jumper
-1 LP and 1 HP filter pr. PCB. A section can be bypassed via a jumper This can form a BP filter.
-2 EQ sections pr. PCB
-1 channel pr. PCB (More will make the PCB huge)
-No power supply on board other than capacitors
-I prefer dual opamps, but I’m willing to make two versions of the PCB to satisfy the people that want the discrete opamps.
-1 output buffer with gain adjustment to accommodate different amp sensitivities.

I need to figure out how to make the EQ sections, any ideas are welcome - Maybe like the analog mixers??

Do I get a go or no go for launch of schematics drawing?

\Jens

EQ

Jens -

I think the only reason to need adjustable EQ would be for global adjustments to deal with room modes. This would best be accomplished by a separate board (pre-filter?) The EQ sections for each channel could be hard-wired, since the driver responses are always the same. What do other folks think?

Paul

Re: Eq

JensRasmussen said:
Hi,

Ok, lets scrap the EQ sections leaving us with an input section followed by HP and LP and an output buffer - right?

The filters can be either 1.th or 2.nd order (One sallen and key filter)

One channel pr. board

I'll make an EQ board later :)

\Jens

Jens -

Is it going to be 1st and 2nd, or 2nd and 4th order? Or do you need to cascade two boards to get a 4th order electrical slope?

Paul

Trying to design a circuit to satisfy everyones needs is always
comical, that is why I always build what I want and try not
to get others involved. But sometimes it's good to ask for
input just in case you missed something. In the end, personal
satisfaction ranks high with me and JR is getting too much run
around for doing free work. <- hehe

:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.