Most Greedy Boy, of them all... or (there is no) DEFiSIT of Papa's Koans

Would not send my baad Altecs even to my worst enemy. Will lock them up in my cellar to keep sensitive audiophiles and innocent bystanders out of harms way :D

I think I see what you mean. I got my Altec just before this DEFiSIT fun and I don't regret.

@Zen Mod

I replaced the THFs with other THFs and Vgs are now -1.6 and -2.1. I think I just have to settle with these. I do not complain. :)

Joined 2006
Paid Member
quick glance on U-I graph is showing that thingie can be squeezed in M2-like circuit ...... back of napkin calc is predicting that there is volt or so of space between gates, where we can squeeze transistor part of optocoupler

that's on paper ; for developing thing in vivo , one needs to have Tokin , rest of parts , decent measuring setup and plenty of time ....... mostly to play with values of source resistors ...... to achieve best tempco behavior ( OK - optocoupler is really magical part there) and adequate THD spectra

I don't have Tokin , and always lacking in time :p

...oh man am i glad i brought this up....:santa2::cheers:

Need to measure the 4 ( i think ) critters i have.....all the way from japan they came!

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I just don't like musical compilations , great exception being Decade of Neil Young

however , sometime I stumble on great compilation ....... right now SissySIT playing nicely CD named "Italian Jazz Today", conveniently :rofl: named by publisher - Musica Jazz , Italian paper mag , which I used to buy occasionally

I know that cd damn well .... and 'talian guys are generally great jazzers , besides other tallents they have

boy , it sings

:)

Papa is UberFunny guy :spin:

The Sound Practices collection is on my shelf.:cheerful: Except one magazine, which I loaned out and was never returned :(
I have Hiraga inspired xovers for the A5s and they are good but I prefer simple Werner Jagusch filters which use autoformers to match levels. Have also used WJ xovers on my coaxes.
no need to complain

anyone needing article from Sound Practices , with Hiraga's xover for A7 , just shoot me an email to >zenmodiyaudio@gmail.com<

Altec is Altec is Altec ........... except that bloody coaxial , that one is little different :clown:

I had tried a couple of different diy xovers on my Altec 604s and was never happy until I got Werners xovers. They transformed my coaxes for the better. When I got the opportunity to exchange an old Leben tube pre for A5s with the 1505b horns I sent my 604xovers back to Werner and he made new xovers that are configurable for my 604s and the A5s and also support a tweeter. I use some old and battered JBL 075 alnicos as tweeters ( they where pulled from some electric organ -I think).

Last edited:
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
btw. , are you familiar with this : 6moons audio reviews: Stephæn's Altec 604 Dream Speaker

speaking of that simply because , after all these years , my preferences for speake rboxes are :

1.horn , then
2.OB, then
3.TL

as far as I'm concerned , BR and compression box are non-existent

besides that , I'm puzzled with their xover , even if I really don't have Altec 604 , nor I think to ever invest money in another pair of speakers

I tried a similar xover to the one Stephæn uses and was not happy enough :)
The Dungeon :cool:
Pre pass pictures. 300b on top of A5s. Hiraga and WJ xovers. Sets of old pp monoblocks to the left. DIY 3 arm lenco, old picture of 604s. Fairies are dangerous.

Attachments

• IMG_1199.jpg
    IMG_1199.jpg
    577.7 KB · Views: 311
  • IMG_0555.jpg
    IMG_0555.jpg
    542.2 KB · Views: 316
  • IMG_0447.jpg
    IMG_0447.jpg
    565 KB · Views: 292
  • IMG_0412.JPG
    IMG_0412.JPG