Most Greedy Boy, of them all... or (there is no) DEFiSIT of Papa's Koans

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
didn't I pointed you before to my post in M2 thread , where I (little clumsy) explained how optocoupler thingie works ?

will this attachment help ?

anyway - back to M2 (find schematic , they are everywhere , as is deserved)

LED part of optocoupler is fed from (across) source resistors

say that current through source resistors is rising - opto LED is conducting more current , thus shining (whatever that means ) stronger

that shine is directed at paired bjt , where more shine is resulting in lower internal resistance of bjt itself ; it is connected between gates of upper and lower mosfet;

each gate is connected with , say , 47K to adjacent rail , so two 47K resistors and bjt in between are forming bridge between rails , and current through that bridge is - look back - governed by LED shine

so , back again , current through source resistors is rising , so voltage across them ; LED shines more , opening BJT

current through both 47K resistors is rising , thus voltage across them increasing ...... result is - two gates squeezing together , thus closing mosfets

so , current thrugh source resistors is decreasing , led is shining less , closing bjt .... current through 47K resistors decreasing , so is voltage across them ........ moving gates away of each other ....... opening mosfets ........ and here we go again

entire mechanismus explained here is somewhat exaggerated , things are much tinier and in equilibrium

now - Babelfish M25 is different from M2 in one tiny detail - there are no source resistors at mosfets , so their role are taken by current sensing chips in rails - current is rising , resulting voltage at IC is rising ;

voltages of two Hall chips are summed and taken to optocoupler , working pretty mach same as in M2

did I forgot something ?

oh yes ....... Ugs of SIT and mosfet , for same current , is not the same ; to put sources on proper voltage level , one just need to elevate/move gates somewhere from zero potential and that's easy - making those two "47K" resistors unequal

so - optothingy is taking care of (voltage ) distance between gates , while values of these two "47K" resistors are taking care where gates are gonna be , thus sources too ....... simply because sources always tend to follow gates
:)

Attachments

• pat4752745.pdf
    372.4 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:
Hi ZM can you in general terms describe the difference ( not technical -but sound :) ) between Babelfish M25/SissySIT.
I currently have two types of speakers at home traditional inneffective 2way (86-87db) and effective Altec A5s and Altec 604-8g. The Altecs, although they are in the 98-100db range and can be used with 6-8W SE amps, like more for movies, prog, rock and large orchestra ( 20-40 watts eg PP EL34 and F6).

Last edited:
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I could say that these are two different tools for different tasks

one of my guys asked me the same question yesterday ; I told him : "while you're still having Dynaudio Contour 1.8 , Babelfish M25 will do the job ....... and if you pony up for those 10" Tannoys I told you about , SissySIT will be better "

I called PapaSIT amps like this :

DEFiSIT (so SIT-3) : Pleasure Device
SIT-2 :Orgasmotron
SIT-1 :Orgasmotron^2

while Babelfish M25 is simply Berserked M2

edit: these Altecs you have are simply no good ; send them to OPLDF , and care would be taken

:clown:

Give me that PCB Might Man!

I tried THF51 into the battery biased DEFiSIT.

These wild horses insist Vgs of -0.3V and -1.1V respectively. Ha ha..

I managed to bias them and am listening to them. I had to switch the polarity of CCS circuit.

Even these horses can be used in your circuit? I hope so.

If you know of a quiet bias supply that can replace batteries, please give me tip. :(:(:( Of course until I can use some nice PCB of yours :):)

Attachments

• wo source r thf.jpg
    wo source r thf.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 405
  • KakaoTalk_20180809_181457652.jpg
    KakaoTalk_20180809_181457652.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 392
  • KakaoTalk_20180809_181457938.jpg
    KakaoTalk_20180809_181457938.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 400
Last edited:
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member

These wild horses insist Vgs of -0.3V and -1.1V respectively. Ha ha.. ......

you mean - difference between gates , one channel 0V3 and other 1V1 ?

to be more specific , just measure Vgs of each of them , and write here

example - both THF51-S I used in SissySIT prototype are having -3V40 for 2A Iq , while one IRFP9240 is 4V1 , second is 4V5

that means , in first channel , there is (4V1-3V4)= 0V5 window to squeeze optocoupler bjt in , while in second channell window is (4V5-3V4)=1V1

silly me , I didn't even selected those IRFP9240 ...

Last edited:
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
OK , numbers don't lie ....... but how's that , just -0V33 and -1V1 , for THF ??

I didn't measured them at other voltages/currents other than those interesting to me

so these are values for 15V of Uds and Iq 1A5 ? , where (just) 15V is obviously dominant

conclusion - for any selection , same must be done on intended rail voltage and intended Iq

logical , taking in account their resistive character :clown:

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
table handy to have everywhere

sorry , dunno who originally made it

edit: as I understand it , to Vbias written in table , you need to add voltage sag across 1R in source , to have effective Ugs
editedit: oh , yes , there is , in lowest row

Attachments

• 867251EB-F801-456F-B4F0-B0E.jpg
    867251EB-F801-456F-B4F0-B0E.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 371
Last edited:
Thanks for the comments. I already have an Orgasmotron in my 300b monoblocks ( WE91 variants ) so Berserk is probably more for me ;)
Would not send my baad Altecs even to my worst enemy. Will lock them up in my cellar to keep sensitive audiophiles and innocent bystanders out of harms way :D
I could say that these are two different tools for different tasks

one of my guys asked me the same question yesterday ; I told him : "while you're still having Dynaudio Contour 1.8 , Babelfish M25 will do the job ....... and if you pony up for those 10" Tannoys I told you about , SissySIT will be better "

I called PapaSIT amps like this :

DEFiSIT (so SIT-3) : Pleasure Device
SIT-2 :Orgasmotron
SIT-1 :Orgasmotron^2

while Babelfish M25 is simply Berserked M2

edit: these Altecs you have are simply no good ; send them to OPLDF , and care would be taken

:clown: