Most depressing song?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
more darkness...

...I was forgetting Mr. Peter Hammill.

An excerpt from a song called ¨This side of the looking glass¨ :

I'm lost, I'm dumb, I'm blind,
I am drunk with sadness,
sunk by madness -
the wave overwhelms me,
the mirror repels me,
the echo of your laugh
drifts through the looking-glass
and I am alone.

No friendship no comfort no future no home,
the past lingers with me:
you're all the love I've ever known
without you I'm nothing
but empty and silent,
reflecting on all that I've lost.
I let you slip away so soon.

I guess that I`m no macho enough to transcript the entire song, though...

tcasimir said:
'when you get out from the hospital, let me back into your arms'

I think its Hospital from Back in Your Life by Jonathon Richman and the Modern Lovers.

Just noticed this. There is a live version on a compilation called "roadrunner" which is just like crying like a child at the loss of a love. Well spotted - Jonathan Richman has had moments of genious and is one of the best live acts I've ever seen.

originally posted by KBK
"What God Wants"

Uff, that´s really a hard song! And I find the whole ¨Amused to Death¨ album somber and apocalyptic...
I´m relatively melancholic too, but is very hard to depress me -usually, sad songs don`t bring me down-

But some of Roger Waters oeuvre is really upsetting.
Some people call him ¨pretentious¨, some others ¨egomaniac¨, but I think that`s not the issue.
He has, I think, the knack to make some music that... scare

I remember Pink Floyd´s ¨The Final Cut¨ album -the one about the Falkland -Malvinas- War-, complete with the Zucarrelli Labs ¨Holophonics¨ -you know, those little aural tibdits entrenched in the mix to provide more drama: bombs, shouts, jets-... Wow!
Maybe a little ¨too much¨, but the music has some cinematographic quality that cuts like a knife.

And one song, ¨Southampton Dock¨, really bring tears to my eyes.

But maybe I´m talking about sad songs, and not about depressive ones.

I find really depressing a lot of latin-american ¨alegre¨-good-time- stuff: merengue, salsa, cumbia, etc...
It sounds like the soundtrack for the under-developement. (subdesarrollo: poor countrys, poor governments, starving people). Third World stuff, in the worst sense.
I think that´s music crafted to make people deaf and dumb... instead of make them moan, maybe think and later, act and do something about the issue.

Re: depressing music

federico moreno said:

An argentine singer-songwriter, Charly Garcìa, has penned some memorable song called ¨Viernes 3am¨-Friday 3am¨-

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=427628&songID=3686528

It`s about suicide, and about the guessed experiences of a man in the previous moments of killing herself. I believe that only a man that has been in the verge of suicide is capable of writing stuff like that: an unique, incredible -and very despondent- song. Slighty dated, but the lyrics and the melody are memorable...

i see you like floyd and waters, that aznar solo i viernes 3am is one of the most depressing AND sad bass solos ever, only comparable to roger waters solos in "hey you".

talking about amused to death, "it's a miracle" is also worderfully depressing.
about his ability to make scary music, the mid part of "echoes"... that's scary!!! and the way music comes back with such intensity!!
i love this guy. or "set the controls for the heart of the sun"...

federico? have you been to waters show in velez?? southampton dock with all the sound effects on the sorround speakers was great. you could perfectly "see" the seagulls flying in circles over your head.

holy waters in argentina

Hi, Facundo! Good to see another argie here! Jejeje...

Sadly, I wasn´t in Velez for the RW show, but given all the care that the man puts in his shows, I guess that would have been amazing...
I have some DVD of Waters, maybe 2001 USA tour, uff!! ...and those lines from Kubrick`s 2001 in the beginning of ¨Perfect Sense¨...
Everytime I hear that music i feel as if something strange -something cosmically awful, in a Lovecraftian way- is going to happen. But the songs have such a power in itselves, that these feelings of doom are counterbalanced by the weight of the music.

And ¨It´s a miracle¨... those words depict an homogenized world panorama that`s very close to reality. You know, a little globalization is wonderful -imagine ourselves without Internet...-, but when you find the ¨M¨ of McDonalds shining in some dark corner of a Tibetan night, the strange feeling that something is going to happen is inescapable.

I agree with you regarding Aznar work in viernes 3am... that song deserves to be covered in english -with a good translation-maybe it would be difficult to convey the sense of drama in another language than spanish, but who knows...

I´m thinking about taking some ¨sad and depressive music songwriting¨ degree, due to all the feedback that I find in this thread :clown:

originally posted by razz

Surprised no one mentioned Tori Amos..

You`re right, that song is thrilling... And there`s another about wishing to kill a fellow waitress -¨The Waitress¨, from Under The Pink-... Wow...
But my favourite is a cover that she does in some Leonard Cohen tribute album -Tower of Song-; the song is called ¨Famous Blue Raincoat¨, it`s about some triangle between a woman, a man and the brother of that man, some obscure stuff... an she sings that lines with a detached emotion that never fails to move me.

I'm glad my post was well-received, wasn't sure if my tone was right for that song but we don't seem to have the ability to edit our posts on this forum, something I must remember... Thanks for the heads-up on the Leonard Cohen tribute song, I'll check it out. I think there are many great songs from her first 3 songs that are also sad/depressing, but me and a gun is just one of the most obvious. Personally I can't get into any of her later releases. For an emotional fairly depressing Alanis song how about the bonus track from jagged little pill, its just her singing with no accompaniment (sp?). I have one of the chinese tube amps which can be hit and miss with different music but with this track its pure magic, she IS in the room, great stuff

Hi,

I'd nominate Fade to Black by Metallica. That always pulls a few of my strings.

Yes, hell of alot by Nirvana. Something a little empty in that on the anniversary of his death there's always a few who follow.

I think he's the one who coined the phrase "It's better to burn out than to fade away"

Cash's cover of hurt... wheewww.. First time I saw the video/heard it.... wheeeeeeeewww. It sounds like he recorded it on his death bed, and I guess he pretty well did. Seeing him so old and worn in the video doesn't help either. I think it just has to be the all time most depressing song there'll EVER be, just for doing such a good job of reminding you what's in store, and I think it leaves everyone speechless.

Ummmmm..... Suicidal Tendencies "How will I laugh tomorrow (when I can't even smile today), great song.

Black Hole Sun by Soundgarden is a personal downer for me too.

Also a few from Alice in Chains, including "rain when I die" and most notably "down in a hole" which I find to be an excellent song. He was one of the best vocalists! Sad story that one, all his success and no happiness at all.

Nick Drake recorded some very potent stuff. The 'Pink Moon' album has extremely beautiful songs on it that just puts bricks in your belly every time. The title track, and Road maybe. It's odd how it seems like there's a backing band there sometimes.

Also in a completely different vein, but similarly brick-in-tummy-inducing is Burzum. I'd like to recommend the track Dunkelheit. In a sort-of way, it's ambient made with death metal sounds. Very pretty and very ... bricks.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.