Mosfet amp design i just dreamt up

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The circuit itself isn't too complicated for me at all, also i've made quite a lot of self designed and etched pcb's, including even some smd stuff. But i'll look around in this nice forum i just discovered. For now i have to finish new cabinets for my speakers and tweak the xovers a bit. After that i'll be concetrating on the amp, it's a long and dark indoorsy winter period, so i have time to work on this stuff, in summer i fly rc aircraft.. :D
Btw, how long does the moderator preview my posts before they're actually posted here? Is it linked to the number of posts?

Last edited:
DOYbc.jpg

Stupid photobucket and their bandwidth limiters...:mad:

This design has this problem (current mirror in the input leg) if you stimulate with a square wave at input with high dv/dt ie: 1usec or less the amp will enter in oscillation (ringing). Remedy: put some resistance at the emitters of Q8 Q9 and add more neutralization (capacitance) for Q2. The drawbacks are less bandwith and more distortion, less slew rate
Cheers
Arturo

Maybe 100pf could be enough, but I recommend you to do a ac simulation from 1hz to 100MHz to verify a clean and smooth BW plot (no peaks), remenber that the signal transistors have gain well above 100MHz, and the feedback loop has several frecuencies where the phase is out 180°, that mean positive feedback = oscillation
Cheers
Arturo

I see C7 in the schematics in post #27, it's between the bases of the current source (or technically, current sink) transistors and ground. This should instead go directly across the top and bottom of the three-diode string, otherwise it will amplify any voltage variation between ground and the negative rail, and it could also contribute to instability/oscillation problems.

I'm not sure exactly what it's for to begin with, presumably to stop any noise generated by the three forward biased diodes. It looks like a rather low impedance node, so I'm guessing it should have a larger value to go down to 20Hz.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.