Mosfet amp design i just dreamt up

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Try to get equal current in Q8-Q9 pair.
Put AM-meter in their collectors and adjust R13 until balans.

Q11-Q12, BD139, BD140 is a good choice.
They take ~10 mA in this circuit.
And this is probably a good current level to drive those HEXFET.

Overall you have done a good job :)
May only be some small adjustments needed.
And should not be difficult to build, as it is very straight forward design.

Last edited:
A good start...some recommendations and experiments...

It's a good start. I'd recommend a few things:
1. current mirror load in the top of the Q8/Q9 diff pair would make automatic good balance and lower distortion.
2. is it oscillating, or is it a picture artifact? I can't quite tell...
3. You're leaving a fair amount of output swing unrealized by running both the drivers and the output devices on the same rails. The MOSFETS Vgs diminishes the available output swing considerably.
4. Emitter resistors in the input stage can sometimes be useful to increasing the linearity of the input stage...this can help lower distortion (you might have to increase the tail current a bit to compensate)
5. C3 can help stability, but usually costs you a little output distortion...still, the balance of that with Cdom (not shown, but typically from collector to base of Q2), gives nice trade off of stability and distortion.

Experiments:
1. Replace R10 by a short...I don't think that much would change...
2. What is your output offset voltage with no signal at the input?

Keep your investigations going...you are on a good track.

Here it is with suggested changes:
mosfetampworksinsim1.png

And heres the frequency response:
mosfetampworksinsim1freqresp.png

I may try to build this one when the parts i've ordred arrives.

Last edited:
This design have been built and apart from a misplaced resistor on the board, it worked on the first try. Unfortunately the misplaced resistor caused damage to the fets which died half a day later but after replacement to IRF540 and IRF9540 the amp was up and running again.

Heres a few pics:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I just got this working in simulation:

But i wonder, is this my own design or did i just memorize someone elses schematic ?

Note that i did not look at any schematics while doing this one, i just tried randing things until it worked and similation showed reasonable currents through stuff.

Looks a sort of like Hafler 220 circuit. Hafler used better outputs (Hitachi's) and mirror LTP inputs. But lots of 2N5401s and 2N5550s my 2cents

Last edited:
I pulled this design outta my head, tried random things in a simulator until it worked.

Though it does have a slight prollem, near clipping it oscillates slightly as it gets near the negative rail, perhaps a small cap between B and E of the lower driver transistor coulud remedy that.

New low power version

After building that twelve mosfet monster i've now started thinking about a low power version to serve strictly as satellite channels.

This is the idea:

The unmarked resistors on the top are 100ohm, the third unmarked one will need to be determined since i originally designed this circuit to include BD130/140 drivers.

R11 will also need to be modified, its 820 ohms in the monster.

R9 is not needed, i just forgot to remove it from the schematic.

And heres the other channel built, tested and working.

Pics:

Would the last amp be a good project for a beginners first solid state amp (so far i've made only chip amps with only positive power supply).
How powerful toroid would i need to power two of those amps? Would a computers soundcard be enough to drive this amp or is a preamp needed?
I would appreciate any info on this or reference to other, more noob-friendly amp projects that would be solid state and 30W+.
Sorry for my bad english.:eek:

Mart,

Forgot to mention, that the amp would be used to run two shelf-speakers: Visaton W130S 5" midbass+FRS8 3.3" fullrange, cutting freq. is at 1000hz. At the moment im running a chip amp, built with a TDA1554 chip @ 2x"22W", so the next amp would have to be better than that chip, otherwise it would be worth the trouble.

Mart,

Last edited:
I'm using a 2x26VAC 300VA toroid for mine, turns out to about 2x35VDC after the rectifier.

Im not so sure about this beeing suitable as a first time project, there are simpler circuits out there.

This design can be driven from a soundcard output no prollem, i have a 100ohm alps volume pot in between.

If you do decide to build this, make a proper board since mine is just a prototype, i'm going to design a proper board for this amp.

However i can say this: DO NOT BUILD THE 12 MOSFET MODEL!!!! It's not done yet!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.