More engineering humor

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A number of years ago I was a under a machine doing making a few adjustments, while there I was "tapped" on the foot by a newly hired engineer. She asked if she could borrow a wrench. I asked "what size?"
She said "I'm not sure" Since at that time I had a 7/16 in my hand, and I didn't need it I handed it to her. She said "thanks!"
She returned a few minutes later and said "this is too small, do you have a 8/16?"

It was weeks later that I could look her in the face and not bust out laughing!

though not an engineering joke...

A Shetland pony walks into a bar. The bartender asks him, "Did you ever get over that bad cold you had last week?" The Shetland pony replies, "Yes, but I'm still a little hoarse."

A dung beetle goes into a bar. He gets so drunk he falls off his stool.

John

star882 said:
"Don't code and upload"
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=536690

Strangely enough, that gave me an idea of what to do with a cheap PC power supply after it burns out while load testing - make it look like an even more spectacular failure and put it up as a display of why (most) cheap power supplies are no good. ("That's the magic goo from the blown electronics.")

It's funny to see all that people talking about detergents and solvents to clean such a harmless and more or less water-soluble thing :D:D:D

After having dug to a depth of 10 meters last year, Italian scientists found traces of copper wire dating back 100 years and came to the conclusion that their ancestors already had a telephone network more than 100 years ago.

Not to be outdone by the Italians, in the weeks that followed, Turkish scientists dug to a depth of 20 meters. Shortly thereafter, headlines in Turkish newspapers read: "Turkish archaeologists have found traces of 200-year old copper wire, and have concluded that their ancestors already had an advanced high-tech communications network one hundred years earlier than the Italians.

One week later, "The Kathimerini", a Greek newspaper, reported the following: "After digging as deep as 30-meters in fields near Athens, Petros Petropoulos, a self-taught archaeologist, reported that he found absolutely nothing. Petros has therefore concluded that 300-years ago, Greeks were already using wireless!

No doubt nationalities are easily substituted....

Some of us may have heard the (mostly untrue) rumors about hybrid cars emitting "smug". So, some research was done to see if hybrid digital audio amplifiers emit smug.

As it turns out, many of them do, in fact, emit smug, but it has nothing to do with the "smug" that is rumored to come from hybrid cars. The amount emitted varies greatly depending on design. Large ones usually emit more than small ones, but not always. Those with lower idle and standby energy use always emit more smug. Designs based on chips from well known companies including TI, Analog Devices, Cirrus Logic, and National Semiconductor usually emit more smug than those based on discrete components or chips from small companies. Operating frequency, however, has almost no effect.

The main effect of smug is to raise the perceived quality of the sound, sometimes to the extent that even the best pure digitals can't match. Those affected tend to be young and with at least some engineering knowledge. Environmentalists are most affected due to the very high efficiency offered by hybrid digital audio amplifiers.

Having said all this, I think I'll put together a TI hybrid digital amplifier so I can listen to Teresa Teng in hybrid digital quality. But I'll first have to have a sound card with a good analog output since that is what hybrids accept. Would a Sound Blaster Live! 24-bit work well enough or should I upgrade? ;)

Now I wonder if hybrid bicycles emit smug...

A friend sent me this one. He saw a picture someone posted and couldn't resist making a joke.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Wow, you're all so pretty, especially the one in beautiful blue. She's so smooth, with all those pretty curves, just the right size... And those nice headlights that smoothly blend into the curves, so aerodynamic... I would sure like to spend some time with her if I could...

Wait a minute, what was I talking about again? :) Oh that's right, poor old General Motors just couldn't match a sexy masterpiece of Japanese engineering. And the rumors seem to be right - the drivers are sexy, too!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.