Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

Wow! Congratulations to Tim, Koda59 and Heebo for the fantastic work on Moode 4.0 as well as the automated build process. This morning when I woke up I had a working Moode 4.0. Can't wait to have a listen this afternoon.

I wanted to read this image off the MicroSD card so that I can have a backup. I however notice that there are two images on the card. kernel.img and kernel7.img.

Can someone tell me why there would be two images?

Thanks

Back up the entire sd card. It has boot bits and flags that you won’t get otherwise. Without knowing what OS you are using, I can’t give a method, but this should point you in the right direction Backing up and Restoring your Raspberry Pi's SD Card – The Pi Hut

Back up the entire sd card. It has boot bits and flags that you won’t get otherwise. Without knowing what OS you are using, I can’t give a method, but this should point you in the right direction Backing up and Restoring your Raspberry Pi's SD Card – The Pi Hut

Thanks

I am using Windows 7 Pro and have read Moode images successfully off the MicroSD cards in the past using the latest version of Wind32diskimager. I was just curious why it now sees two images on the card.

Hello,
Thank you Tim (and other team members) for keeping this the best player.

However I'm facing to an unpleasant issue with Moode 4. I cannot use GUI object for controlling track time position - if I use this control bar in newest chrome browser with android 7.0/Samsung SGS7 or a rouded controller in chrome with a tablet, nothing happens and tracks don't change their time position. I tried other MPD client MALP and there it works as supposed. Moode cooking went well without any issues.
Thanks.

R.

Hi,

does any one me out i want to make an image of the moode,
im trying to do this but without success.

im totally new in linux and Rasp...

i have putty, log in and then?
please help me out

or is there somebody that can make an image, the older version is also not available anymore

Last edited:
I was able to clear everything now. I have about 4000 songs on the SSD.
It is updating the DB, I see the SSD read/write on for few minutes, now it does not light up. Is been about 20 mins, Moode player in web browser shows updating status in lower left corner but no SSD led read/write status.

How do I know if it hangs or not? How long approx. 4000 songs take?
one hour?

I used previous versions Moode, I think I recall just adding a folder/album of
songs I like.

I didn’t want 4000 songs in the playback screen, it’s all scattered.

I am in the Library Mode, how do I add an album/folder to play vs. adding individual songs?

Hi,

Sometimes the "updating" icon doesn't clear. Its an old bug that I'll get to at some point. I would imagine that 4K tracks would index in just a few minutes.

Why are u adding 4000 tracks to the Playlist?

-Tim

I think this was working for you, let me explain :

System start and then building is starting ... after step 1 complete, system reboot so you lost ssh ... but after reboot building continue to step 2 and so on.
You can monitor building process once log into PI with SSH via :
mosbrief ... Process continue until you see END via mosbrief ;)
(You will have around 8 reboots to complete the build and maybe something like 2 hours for RPI0W)

Hello Eric thanks for answering.
I'm in the office and I will try again tonight but I suspect I'm on a different issue.
Let me explain better.

As I mentioned in my post I originally tried the "manual" way.

Started by flashing a Stretch image, then followed the various steps taking them from the 2.3 procedure script.

Going through the list, I issued the various "sudo reboot" commands after each "STEP", and all went well. I mean, after the reboot the system regularly came up again, I could ssh into it, it stayed stable and I could go on issuing more configuration commands until the subsequent reboot.
All OK. Until step 9.

After rebooting after step 8, in facts, the system does come up, I can ssh into it, but shortly after I start issuing STEP 9 commands it goes down (SSH connection is lost).
Green light on the Pi stays solid green, but the system won't apparently actually reboot, letting me regain control and continue the procedure.
I did not "wait for long", tbh.

Again, I'll try again tonight and I'll let you know.

Ciao
Alberto

Hi Tim,

I use the overlay scrollbars. The biggest problem I have is when I scroll to the bottom of the Artist column. It is very hard to grab the scroll "handle" to scroll back to the top of the page.

I have seen touch systems that just rely on scrolling the list. If there was enough acceleration I think that could work very well. Letters down the side are also used by some apps, but you don't have a lot of vertical space for that.
The Artist column is the only one I find that is large enough that it is a problem.

I really don't like the look of the big white scroll bars. The Touch is so nice a clean with the overlay scroll bars...or none at all.

Cheers, Bryce.
Hi Bryce,

Ok thx. I'd really like to go with no scrollbars but not until there is an easy alternative like alphabet seek or something like that.

@swizzle, maybe we have a look at this for 4.1 :)

-Tim

Wow! Congratulations to Tim, Koda59 and Heebo for the fantastic work on Moode 4.0 as well as the automated build process. This morning when I woke up I had a working Moode 4.0. Can't wait to have a listen this afternoon.

I wanted to read this image off the MicroSD card so that I can have a backup. I however notice that there are two images on the card. kernel.img and kernel7.img.

Can someone tell me why there would be two images?

Thanks
Hi,

These .img files in /boot are not the "image" thats referred to when talking about backing up the entire OS on the SDCard to an image file. This backup process copies the raw block data in each disk partition and by default all the raw blocks in the remaining unused space on the disk. Thus if you have a 64GB SDCard, the backup image file will be 64GB in size even though the partition data may have only been 3GB in size :-0. Thankfully there are intelligent disk backup applications that have settings to copy only the partition blocks and not all the free blocks.

I think the latest Win32DiskImager, Etcher and some others have a "partition-only" copy setting :) Also the Build Recipe Appendix includes params for the DD command so it copies only the partitions.

The kernel.img and kernel7.img files in the /boot directory of Raspbian are Linux kernels for armv6 (Pi-B, 1B, 0, 0W) and armv7 (Pi-2B, 3B, CM) platforms. The Raspbian Team designed their OS to intelligently detect the ARM platform during boot and load the correct Linux kernel image. They also provide the super easy rpi-update process for installing new mainline kernels.

Raspbian is really a fantastic Linux ecosystem :)

-Tim

I've built MoOde 4 GA successfully, it runs perfectly on my Pi, but I cannot get it to work with the official Touch screen. The whole process goes ok until I activate LocalUI then, after some seconds, I get a kernel panic. The only way out is to disconnect from power, then Moode boots, and after some seconds, I get the kernel panic again.

Code:
Message from syslogd@moode at Feb  1 13:52:01 ...
 kernel:[   31.562077] Internal error: Oops: 5 [#1] SMP ARM

kernel:[   31.668745] Process TaskSchedulerFo (pid: 919, stack limit = 0xa9292210)

kernel:[   31.675438] Stack: (0xa9293f00 to 0xa9294000)

kernel:[   31.679789] 3f00: 8028d100 a9293f38 b700f950 00000063 5c3434a0 ffffff9c 6102c6e8 a9293f6c

kernel:[   31.687960] 3f20: b700f950 00000063 a9293f54 a9293f38 802826d8 802ed064 00000000 00000000

kernel:[   31.696130] 3f40: ffffffea 00004000 a9293fa4 a9293f58 80276730 80282664 a9293f6c 8013ad54

kernel:[   31.704301] 3f60: a9293f8c 5c3434a0 a9292010 00000000 b9638010 b9b63990 5c3434a0 00000064

kernel:[   31.712472] 3f80: 5c3434a0 00000063 0000014c 80108244 a9292000 00000000 00000000 a9293fa8

kernel:[   31.720643] 3fa0: 801080c0 80276698 00000064 5c3434a0 ffffff9c 6102c6e8 5c3434a0 00000063

kernel:[   31.728814] 3fc0: 00000064 5c3434a0 00000063 0000014c ffffff9c 6102c620 6102d6d8 6102c6bc

kernel:[   31.736984] 3fe0: 5ff43ef4 6102c5e4 5ff2da58 7560bc6c 20000010 ffffff9c 55555555 55555555

kernel:[   31.769772] Code: ea000002 e1530004 e1a03001 0a00000b (e5931008)

I have tried twice, with different SD cards, once building on the existing card, and once on a separate one. Same result.

Am I the only one? Anybody else has it working on Touch Screen?

JV

I've finally had time to install the latest Moode 4.0 release. The new scripts made it painless.

The new interface looks very modern. I have noticed however that the cpu temperature which appeared in the "Audio Info" page is now missing. Is it possible to get this back?

Living in a hotter climate I like to keep an eye on it as sometimes my cpu gets above 70C in which case I turn on a cooling fan in my case.

Hello,
Thank you Tim (and other team members) for keeping this the best player.

However I'm facing to an unpleasant issue with Moode 4. I cannot use GUI object for controlling track time position - if I use this control bar in newest chrome browser with android 7.0/Samsung SGS7 or a rouded controller in chrome with a tablet, nothing happens and tracks don't change their time position. I tried other MPD client MALP and there it works as supposed. Moode cooking went well without any issues.
Thanks.

R.

Hi,

I think the bounds checking code for the volume knob might also be blocking input from the time knob in the lower part of the knob :-0 I'll have a look.

-Tim

Anybody else has it working on Touch Screen?

JV

Did you perform this task?

4. Configure Chrome Browser

NOTE: These steps are performed AFTER actually starting local display via System config,
rebooting and then accessing moOde on the local display.

a. Connect a keyboard.
b. Press Ctrl-t to open a separate instance of Chrome Browser.
c. Enter url chrome://flags and scroll down to Overlay Scrollbars and enable the setting.
d. Optionally, enter url chrome://extensions and install the xontab virtual keyboard extension.

I don't know if it is pertinent to your problem or not :dunno::)
Just guessing:rolleyes:

ronnie

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the tip about recovering the default playlist.

I tried to use the gmusic option under UPNP, but when I executed the script as instructed, I got Exception errors right after the message, "Collecting mock>=0.7.0 (from gmusicapi)" (see below).

I'm not a python person, so I wasn't sure whether these are fixable in the script or not.

I thought I saw that the optional gmusicapi was installed when I ran the build script. Just thought I'd pass this along. If I'm doing something wrong, please advise.

svkowalski
------------
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/share/python-wheels/urllib3-1.19.1-py2.py3-none-any.whl/urllib3/util/retry.py", line 315, in increment
total -= 1
TypeError: unsupported operand type(s) for -=: 'Retry' and 'int'

@svkowalski

I trimmed your trackback message to show just the root cause.

I can confirm this error after just now trying to install gmusicapi in the moOde 4.0 I built on an RPI2B yesterday.

I have built gmusicapi successfully recently. It'll take some digging to figure out what has changed.

The full output from the build script is
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
//
// COMPONENT 7 - Optionally install gmusicapi
//
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

This component enables access to Google Play Music service via UPnP renderer.
If its not installed, the Google Play section in UPnP config screen will not be
present.
sudo pip install gmusicapi
but that last line is a comment not an executable, so, no, it isn't installed by the script.

Regards,
Kent

Last edited:
Hello Tim!
Thank you for the latest release! been waiting for quite a while for that one :)
I have installed the latest version using the image builder, and everything seemed to go to plan with the pi rebooting several times, as I was watching the process using moslog.
After the final step, everything seemed to work fine and I was able to access the pi using the browser.
But then a problem arose: everytime I try to navigate between configuration windows (from source to network or any other option) the interface hangs, and then very briefly flashes (Had to slo mo film it to read it) "Reconnect system rebooting" and then back.
Any idea why that might be?
(attached pics below)
To be noted that any changes do not get saved anymore, And as such I am unable to mount my NAS drive nor a usb hard drive

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180201-155034.jpg
    Screenshot_20180201-155034.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 265
  • Screenshot_20180201-155044.jpg
    Screenshot_20180201-155044.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 259
Hi Tim,

Thanks for the tip about recovering the default playlist.

I tried to use the gmusic option under UPNP, but when I executed the script as instructed, I got Exception errors right after the message, "Collecting mock>=0.7.0 (from gmusicapi)" (see below).

svkowalski

@svkowalski

I can confirm this error after just now trying to install gmusicapi in the moOde 4.0 I built on an RPI2B yesterday.

I have built gmusicapi successfully recently. It'll take some digging to figure out what has changed.

UPDATE: I poked around casually looking for obvious "tells" and found nothing. I also found nothing of interest on the Web. Next I took the "brute force and ignorance" approach and invoked "sudo pip install gmusicapi" again.

Woot. This time all files including mock were successfully collected by pip and the install proceeded. Note that it takes a *very* long time to build the wheel for lxml (some 20 minutes out of the 25 minutes total build time on my RPi2B), during which time it is easy to conclude the build has stalled. If you look very intently, though, you'll notice the ascii equivalent of a spinner at the end of the line is changing once in a while.

Full disclosure: The first time I tried to build gmusicapi, I was logged into moOde's SSH Terminal window. The second time, I ssh'ed from another host. I don't believe this made any difference but thought I should mention it for the sake of completeness.

Regards,
Kent[/QUOTE]