Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

Hello,

I’m pointed out where come from the most important break in the installation process.
It’s always in wifi, the most part of time on the RPi3 (but on the RPi2 with dongle do the same) when it’s in the step « Kernel Update ».
It’s use rpi-update (who use cUrl), the wifi « overload » in curl and take too much power for the RPi (this is also bugs encounter by people when the Airplay don’t work more than 10 or 15mn), Yes the power.
I’m with an official P.S.U. but it’s a 2,5A Power supply and for the RPi3 a 3A is recommended, then, i will buy a new power supply in the week for test that and confirm (or not) my feelings.

The problem come with different RPi3 with different uSD in different time, with different connection to internet, with 2 different P.SU. one with the raspberry the other without and the two in 2,5A… but always in wifi.
So like you have understand, this is not the case if i’m plugged ethernet, all work well (many, many times, with all RPi revision and version).

So, I recommend to install without wifi for better chance to succeed.
I also recommend to launch a "sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get -y upgrade" before launching the installation process.

@Tim :
I read the recipe for moment and i see a VERY strange thing :

Why you have 2 versions for armv6 and armv7 of Squeezelite ? there is no way to do that, it’s only "universal binaries" for the ARM version (you can test to launch your arm7l version on a RPi 1, or compare your two pre-compiled files (diff -s file1 file2)…
I search since more than one hour anything constructive about that on the internet, but I found only bullshits… there is no particular arch version for ARM, but a way to have a 64b version...

Maybe you can remove all theses things for simplify all of that.

Cheers.

Wow, huge thread.

I have been using v3.1 for about 1 year and I really enjoy it, it’s extremely stable and never goes crazy like Windows blue screen..

I usually have about once a month a power failure therefore the content of the micro card inside the Pi 2 gets corrupted. Following this I have to re-download the image file and reconfigure everything.

Is there a way to prevent this ? Could I monitor the 5vdc powering the Pi through MoOde and shut down the program to prevent corruption ?

Thank you for such a great software.
Eric

Eric, there are several readymade and some diy u.p.s add-ons for the Pi that will provide power during black/brown-outs and safe shutdown.
Pi-UpTimeUPS - UPS and power mobility for Raspberry Pi - Alchemy Power Inc.
ModMyPi | UPS PIco - Uninterruptible Power Supply & I2C Control HAT
HOW-TO Build an Automatic Power Supply for the Pi - Raspberry Pi Forums

In addition you could be regularly making a backup image of your running sdcard and use that to reinstall thus not having to do a fresh install and reconfiguring settings..
How to Clone Raspberry Pi SD Card on Windows, Linux and macOS

Last edited:
Wow, huge thread.

I have been using v3.1 for about 1 year and I really enjoy it, it’s extremely stable and never goes crazy like Windows blue screen..

I usually have about once a month a power failure therefore the content of the micro card inside the Pi 2 gets corrupted. Following this I have to re-download the image file and reconfigure everything.

Is there a way to prevent this ? Could I monitor the 5vdc powering the Pi through MoOde and shut down the program to prevent corruption ?

Thank you for such a great software.
Eric

Hi,

Very odd.

I've been using Sandisk Ultra Class 10 cards for over 3 years and have only experienced 2 card failures and I regularly just pull the plug on my Pi's. I've also experienced several Utility Power failures and no issues.

Amazon.com: SanDisk Ultra 8GB Class 10 UHS-I MicroSDHC Memory Card with Adapter, Grey / Red, Standard Packaging (SDSDQUAN-008G-G4A): Computers & Accessories

Give em a try :)

-Tim

Hello,

I’m pointed out where come from the most important break in the installation process.
It’s always in wifi, the most part of time on the RPi3 (but on the RPi2 with dongle do the same) when it’s in the step « Kernel Update ».
It’s use rpi-update (who use cUrl), the wifi « overload » in curl and take too much power for the RPi (this is also bugs encounter by people when the Airplay don’t work more than 10 or 15mn), Yes the power.
I’m with an official P.S.U. but it’s a 2,5A Power supply and for the RPi3 a 3A is recommended, then, i will buy a new power supply in the week for test that and confirm (or not) my feelings.

The problem come with different RPi3 with different uSD in different time, with different connection to internet, with 2 different P.SU. one with the raspberry the other without and the two in 2,5A… but always in wifi.
So like you have understand, this is not the case if i’m plugged ethernet, all work well (many, many times, with all RPi revision and version).

So, I recommend to install without wifi for better chance to succeed.
I also recommend to launch a "sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get -y upgrade" before launching the installation process.

@Tim :
I read the recipe for moment and i see a VERY strange thing :

Why you have 2 versions for armv6 and armv7 of Squeezelite ? there is no way to do that, it’s only "universal binaries" for the ARM version (you can test to launch your arm7l version on a RPi 1, or compare your two pre-compiled files (diff -s file1 file2)…
I search since more than one hour anything constructive about that on the internet, but I found only bullshits… there is no particular arch version for ARM, but a way to have a 64b version...

Maybe you can remove all theses things for simplify all of that.

Cheers.

Hi,

I agree Ethernet connection is recommended, but sometimes one or more of the repos are busy and fail. Its just the way it is. Good thing is that the new builder supports RESUME so no worries :)

Back in moOde 3 there were 2 different compile strings for arm6 and 7 squeezelite and thus two different binaries. I've never gone back to review it.

Yes squeezelite should be simplified. I'll see what I can do before end of month but this may get deferred to an update.

-Tim

Hi

I am stuck on step #8, Heebo word doc. I boot up the pi and get the following prompt:

Raspian GNU/Linux 9 raspberrypi tty1
raspberrypi login:

What do I do from here? I also need to edit the \boot\config.txt to
add:
dtoverlay=pi3-disable-wifi
dtoverlay=pi3-disable-bt

How can I do that? I will first use ethernet cable to do the build, then
using an edimax usb wifi adapter so I want to disable the onboard wifi.

I see the guide says to type FING to get ipaddress of the Pi but it's asking for

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
Hi

I am stuck on step #8, Heebo word doc. I boot up the pi and get the following prompt:

Raspian GNU/Linux 9 raspberrypi tty1
raspberrypi login:

What do I do from here? I also need to edit the \boot\config.txt to
add:
dtoverlay=pi3-disable-wifi
dtoverlay=pi3-disable-bt

How can I do that? I will first use ethernet cable to do the build, then
using an edimax usb wifi adapter so I want to disable the onboard wifi.

I see the guide says to type FING to get ipaddress of the Pi but it's asking for
Use Google and look for the default userid and password.

Does this mean it is building?
After build is complete, what does the Pi show on screen?
How do you know when build is completed?
Need to reboot once?

I switch monitor back to the Pi and I get a blank screen.
Is this normal? I see the ethernet light still flashing on the Pi.

Attachments

• ssh_prompt_moode.PNG
    ssh_prompt_moode.PNG
    117 KB · Views: 223
  • IMG_7056.jpg
    IMG_7056.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 233
Last edited:
Heeboo steps work for installing

Does the Windows SSH need to be active during the build?
I shut my PC down. Not clear on this.

Thanks

Hey buddy,

the long steps Heeboo has mentioned works well. its just that it takes some time and a few blank screens... i had mine connected on HDMI when i was installing as per steps. give it some 1 hr to do full install. all the best...

Hi Tim & Heeboo

how do we dissable low power mode for wifi and bluetooth chip.

i was going through the shairport thng and i came accross a note that said that some time shairport may dissappear due to wifi module entering low power mode.

i did try - iwconfig wlan0 power off but this didnt work while in moode ssh mode.

any tips. cause i keep loosing the airplay exactly at 10minutes. and it comes back after a hard reboot. (airplay option on my iphone 6s running on 11.2.2) and amplifier board is Justboom Amp (TAS5756* i think)

bluetooth stability is a different issue which i am not going to push around for now. but will be studying what happens step by step.

Hi

I think I got it to build and running now. I can start Moode via web browser using
ip address, that is with ethernet line.

When I remove ethernet line and switch to Edimax USB Wifi Adapter, how can
I find out what the IP address is, since Moode running on Pi, will just have blank
screen with occasional yellow light bolt on upper right corner.

Hi sounds interesting - which driver is he using for the 9028 i2s dac, and which settings are you using? Do you get good sound, with no clicks or pops between tracks/albums of different sample rates etc? Thanks Adrian

I used Ian's FIFO, not taobao's board.

The taobao seller provides image files for moode, volumio, runeaudio, Dietpi, Tinycore with DSD128/PCM384 or SACD-ISO.

Image files can be download:

树莓派等ARM板播放软件_免费高速下载|百度网盘-分享无限制

You need to install Baidu Netdisk first.

http://sw.bos.baidu.com/sw-search-sp/software/57cf90c2afd18/BaiduNetdisk_5.7.2.3.exe

Last edited:
Hi

I think I got it to build and running now. I can start Moode via web browser using

I find out what the IP address is, since Moode running on Pi, will just have blank

If you have an Android device, you can use the Fing app.
or
If you have a Windows PC, you can use the Glasswire app.

its like easy

Hi

hey Bengali,

is that your real name sorry.. Anyways connect your pi with ethernet cable, then go to configuration -> network, here scroll down to wifi section then click on scan button, wait for about 5 - 10 seconds, then click on dropdown select your wifi, after selecting it. look a few lines below it -> password, enter the password and do apply. After apply is clicked it will say restart PI .... just do a reboot from your menu and then you should be good to go..

this is how i did it.

there is one more method that i found and i like it. it needs a wpa file and in that file you need to put a small code with yoru wifi name nad its password...

i dont rember where i got but i cant give you that here till monday india time as i am at work and leaving directly to sort of home town tonight ( not going home) SORRY

hey Bengali,

is that your real name sorry.. Anyways connect your pi with ethernet cable, then go to configuration -> network, here scroll down to wifi section then click on scan button, wait for about 5 - 10 seconds, then click on dropdown select your wifi, after selecting it. look a few lines below it -> password, enter the password and do apply. After apply is clicked it will say restart PI .... just do a reboot from your menu and then you should be good to go..

this is how i did it.

there is one more method that i found and i like it. it needs a wpa file and in that file you need to put a small code with yoru wifi name nad its password...

i dont rember where i got but i cant give you that here till monday india time as i am at work and leaving directly to sort of home town tonight ( not going home) SORRY

No, I have Bengal cats and one of them is named Bengali, after 80’s cartoon
show called Thundercats.

Ok, I will connect both ethernet and USB Wifi Adaptor tomorrow and see what
happens, if I can go to configure network and find the Wifi.

Thank you

hey Bengali,

this is how i did it.

Moode creates its own AP which you can connect to and change to your local wifi. No need to connect by Ethernet.