Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

I use a JLSounds USB to I2S interface (XMOS) module between the Rpi3 and a DIY I2S DAC which is based on ESS Sabre 9023 chip.

I don't use the USB (UAC2) fix since I never used it on earlier Moode releases (3.X)
I am telling you that the MPD option "DoP =no" has no effect unless you enable SoX resampling as well.

It does work: I am successfully doing DSD64->PCM on Beta 12 with a Hifiberry I2S DAC -- no SOX settings required.

I suspect that with SOX off, MPD is outputting data as a 24-bit stream but your DAC requires it packaged in a 32-bit stream, that is why using SOX to pack the bits is working. Were you using a patched kernel in earlier versions of moOde?

Richard

Nice :)

I'm stress testing the new Builder and so far Direct Build, Build to 2nd SDCard and Resume after error on either type of build work perfectly.

The "resume" capability is truly wonderful. Just reboot and the Builder resumes starting at the last STEP that contained the error. Also the nice alias commands moslog, mosbrief and moslast make it really easy to monitor the build if so desired.

-Tim

If you want a stress tester that can a) break anything and b) has an indeterminate and flaky Internet ~2mbps, I’m your man.

:)

After having unpacked my electronics toolkit, built myself a new workbench, set up my computers, wired up a Moode B12 to floorstanders flanking my desk, we got notice yesterday we need to move again. I’d barely completed two projects (wireless clock using NTP and iPad localisation to set time and available as an Apple HomeKit device and some wireless LED lamps) and now have to repackage the boxes I unpacked two weeks ago..

I anticipate worse internet as we’re moving even further from civilisation :(

Ahh, OK, I had another read of your earlier post and see you were probably using one of soundcheck's patched kernels in earlier versions of moOde and the optimisations might have helped with your DSD128 files.

I have successfully installed Beta 12 RPi3 and everything seems to work as expected.
However, I can no longer reproduce DSD music files. My DAC does not support native DSD neither DSD over PCM (DoP), threfore I am using DSD to PCM on-the-fly conversion. I have set the appropriate moode setting DoP to 'no'.
In order to reproduce DSD music files (.DFF) with the beta 12, I am forced to use SoX , i.e. 32Bit, *Khz. Without SoX there is no audio output.
With SoX however and due to extra cpu load I am experiencing some clicks and pops especially with DSD 128 files.
With older Moode releases (e.g 3.x images) using my RPi3 and the advanced Kernel settings option all DSD files were reproduced without any issues even with SoX disabled.

I suspect the ALSA driver is different/patched in the advanced kernel you were using and was correctly telling MPD to output at 32 bit-depth, or perhaps a "correct" 24-bit stream: S24_3LE. The driver in the standard kernel used in Beta 12 is probably not doing this for your USB DAC setup.

You could try substituting a patched RT kernal yourself. There are some previous posts in this thread where users have done this successfully.

I'm stress testing the new Builder and so far Direct Build, Build to 2nd SDCard and Resume after error on either type of build work perfectly.

The "resume" capability is truly wonderful. Just reboot and the Builder resumes starting at the last STEP that contained the error. Also the nice alias commands moslog, mosbrief and moslast make it really easy to monitor the build if so desired.

-Tim

Just a friendly bump:)

how do i get that log file, unfortunately, I don't know how to operate Linux.

Hello aditya,
For the last lines of the log file you can use ssh like i explained in the post, i give you the code here :

Code:
# [COLOR="Green"][I]The password is[/I][/COLOR] [COLOR="red"][B]moodeaudio[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR="Green"][I]#from your computer using just one command for getting the logfile :[/I][/COLOR]
ssh pi@moode "cat /var/log/moode.log"

[COLOR="green"][I]#from your computer for login to you RPi and enter in a terminal session for execute any command on it[/I][/COLOR]
ssh pi@moode

[COLOR="green"]#[I]for close the session (this is not shutdown the RPi) press CTRL+D or enter[/I] [B]exit[/B]
[/COLOR]

On mac you must add .local to the end of the hostname like this : pi@moode.local

Good luck.

Last edited:
http://1cast.in/ this is the web page from where we can select the stream of radio location to hear. and I want to add these to the list of web radio so how can it be done. I am not a software person so if someone could again guide me... it would be great.

this page is for the Radio One ( BBC ) radio station in India.

“Forbidden - Visitors from This country are not permitted to browse this site.”

Hello aditya,
For the last lines of the log file you can use ssh like i explained in the post, i give you the code here :

Code:
# [COLOR="Green"][I]The password is[/I][/COLOR] [COLOR="red"][B]moodeaudio[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR="Green"][I]#from your computer using just one command for getting the logfile :[/I][/COLOR]
ssh pi@moode "cat /var/log/moode.log"

[COLOR="green"][I]#from your computer for login to you RPi and enter in a terminal session for execute any command on it[/I][/COLOR]
ssh pi@moode

[COLOR="green"]#[I]for close the session (this is not shutdown the RPi) press CTRL+D or enter[/I] [B]exit[/B]
[/COLOR]

On mac you must add .local to the end of the hostname like this : pi@moode.local

Good luck.

Hey HeeBoo

Thank you for the update😊😍 in love with moOde and Tim and team have made a lovely system thank you wish you Godspeed.

-Tim

Happy to hear that ;)
Hope it can help most of new users to build their MoOde setup !

Hii

Cut and paste one of the links here. I’m sure we can work it out. Or tell us which station you want.

Would this help? else let me know where to look for the address.

<h1>Listen to Radio One International</h1>
</div>
<div class="radio-stations desktop windows">
<div class="single-station mumbai">
<div id='fv_flowplayer_d3f4591f49545b42b8af5d1072d1dbbf_lightbox_starter' title='94.3 Radio One Mumbai' href='#wpfp_d3f4591f49545b42b8af5d1072d1dbbf' class='flowplayer lightbox-starter is-splash' style="max-width: 120px; max-height: 120px; " data-ratio="1"><div class='fp-ui'></div></div>
<div class='fv_player_lightbox_hidden' style='display: none'>
<div id="wpfp_d3f4591f49545b42b8af5d1072d1dbbf" data-item="{"sources":[{"src":"http:\/\/webstream.radioone.in:80\/live\/mumbai.stream\/manifest.mpd","type":"application\/dash+xml"}]}" class="flowplayer lightboxed no-brand is-splash fixed-controls fvp-play-button" data-embed="false" style="max-width: 640px; max-height: 360px; " data-fullscreen="false" data-ratio="0.5625" data-live="true" data-fv_loop="1" data-advance="false">
<div class="fp-ratio" style="padding-top: 56.25%"></div>

1) Home | Radio One 94.3

from here I click on a banner which says listen to the radio. which leads to 2) www.1cast.in
from there I select Mumbai and then radio starts to play.

Ahh, OK, I had another read of your earlier post and see you were probably using one of soundcheck's patched kernels in earlier versions of moOde and the optimisations might have helped with your DSD128 files.

I suspect the ALSA driver is different/patched in the advanced kernel you were using and was correctly telling MPD to output at 32 bit-depth, or perhaps a "correct" 24-bit stream: S24_3LE. The driver in the standard kernel used in Beta 12 is probably not doing this for your USB DAC setup.

You could try substituting a patched RT kernal yourself. There are some previous posts in this thread where users have done this successfully.

Thank you very much for the support. I can wait for the upcoming Moode release. The Advanced Kernel option may be the solution to this particular issue. Meanwhile, I can enjoy my music using an earlier version of Moode that supports the advanced kernel option as well as various buffer options.

I am using the following settings:

Linux kernel: Advanced
CPU governor: Performance
MPD scheduler policy: FIFO (multi-core CPU) or RR (single core CPU)

According to Tim Curtis comments the FIFO and RR are real-time scheduler policies that enable MPD to have priority over other tasks.

With the FIFO scheduling policy, a thread will be suspended when any of 3 conditions occurs:

1. It is blocked by accessing synchronize resource (I/O block, mutex, semaphore...)
2. It is preempted by a higher priority thread
3. It volunteers to give up control of processor (call sleep() or pthread_yield())

In the Round Robin (RR) scheduling policy, a thread will be suspended when any of 4 conditions occurs:

1. Same as FIFO
2. Same as FIFO
3. Same as FIFO
4. Its Time Slice expires.

As you can see, RR includes a time slice component which guarantees that a bad behaving thread can't entirely monopolize the CPU and starve other threads.

Last edited: