Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

Sweet.

This is good news for the DietPi port of moOde. [edit: speaking of which, Fourdee has pushed his first moOde-related commit to the dietpi testing branch.]

I didn't start hacking on my old Odroid C1 because I couldn't find debian stretch for it. Since armbian xenial is based on ubuntu xenial based on debian jessie, I'm encouraged by your success. Did you try armbian debian jessie directly?

Regards,
Kent

I just use Armbian_5.30_Orangepipc_Ubuntu_xenial_default_3.4.113 , and use recipe .

Hi Tim,

My ssh sessions into my Pi Zero W kept being killed off during the build and the compile failed with an obscure gcc error, which I suspect was an out-of-RAM problem.

Adding swap space fixed this.

Not sure how much swap was needed, but I used 600MB as Kent had said the build used 600MB on his Pi 3, and rather safe than waste time on more failed builds.

Cheers,

Phil

Hi, Phil.

I probably overstated the memory usage. I looked quickly at the output from the top command and read the 'Mem free' entry. A better gauge is the 'Available memory" entry which accounts for pages which the kernel can take back from those being used for buffers and disk cache. The two values can differ by 100MB or more. It would have been clearer had I been using the free command with -m option. Either way, it's hard to judge what the minimum value is during a build without writing some tight-looping code.

Still, the fact that your build didn't complete with swapping disabled but succeeded when you added swap space is pretty conclusive to me. I remember when I was working on the machinekit project (CNC controller for, among other things, the Beaglebone Black, which also has only 512MB RAM), the gcc precompiler sucked up so much memory that the BB builds died. We used the same solution as you: swap to file.

An alternative, which I've also used in other scenarios---but not with the moOde build (at least not yet)---is to run a distcc setup. With distcc, the RPi offloads compilations to more muscular computers on the LAN. Unfortunately, it's an approach only an Linux Enthusiast (TM) is likely to love.

I have't tried building moOde on my RPi0W yet but I just picked up a Pimoroni pHAT DAC at the local Micro Center so the time has come!

Regards,
Kent

Can't SSH - Build Recipe v1.6

I have been out of town for the last couple of weeks and this is my first try as using the build recipe to create Moode 4.0 Beta 8.

As I am primarily a Windows 10 user I tried the Option 2, downloaded Rasbian Strech Lite, intstalled it on an SD card and made the 3 changes specified in step 6 and step 8. I put the SD card in the RPi and booted it up.

I tried to SSH in using PuTTY, that failed with the error: Unable to open connection to raspberrypi Host does not exist.

I took the card out, checked the boot directory and found the ssh file was missing. It must get erased each time a login is attempted. I recreated the file and tried again. Same error.

I have a Mac Mini, so I refreshed the SD card and tried to SSH in on that machine using terminal and I got the same Host does not exist error.

Is anyone else having similar problems? If so, were you able to get around them?

Additional Informaiton

I remembered that my new router keeps an accurate DHCP client table. I looked at the table and found the IP address of my RPi and used that for SSH instead of the hostname. That worked. Hostname would not.

Last edited:
@BryceJ
I remembered that my new router keeps an accurate DHCP client table. I looked at the table and found the IP address of my RPi and used that for SSH instead of the hostname. That worked. Hostname would not.

Yes, I had to use the same too for build v1.0 and for most of the build I needed to login with the ip
Once it finished I could log in as pi@raspberrypi with password=moodeaudio and after I ran the updates it became pi@moode.

The LCD runs fine on 4/beta8 too :D

I have been out of town for the last couple of weeks and this is my first try as using the build recipe to create Moode 4.0 Beta 8.

As I am primarily a Windows 10 user I tried the Option 2, downloaded Rasbian Strech Lite, intstalled it on an SD card and made the 3 changes specified in step 6 and step 8. I put the SD card in the RPi and booted it up.

I tried to SSH in using PuTTY, that failed with the error: Unable to open connection to raspberrypi Host does not exist.

I took the card out, checked the boot directory and found the ssh file was missing. It must get erased each time a login is attempted. I recreated the file and tried again. Same error.

I have a Mac Mini, so I refreshed the SD card and tried to SSH in on that machine using terminal and I got the same Host does not exist error.

Is anyone else having similar problems? If so, were you able to get around them?

Additional Informaiton

This is strange. It worked exactly as described in the recipe. Can you boot the RPI using a monitor etc? It is very easy to enable SSH if you are logged onto the RPI. The easiest is to launch raspi-config and enable SSH there. It is also very easy to change the password and host name there. command line is: sudo raspi-config

Just check you're following the test build recipe, version 1.6 I believe. If its taking a long time, you're probably doing it right! I went through this section today and the build took a shaggy old long time... Probably about 25 minutes on my Pi 2 B.
What you can do is ssh into it a second time and run the 'top' command.
The process cc1 (the c compiler) pegged one of the cpu cores to 100% for a long time... Still played music fine though! (and resampling to 32bit 192Khz with 2 bands of parametric EQ)

Thanks for the tip. It was beta 8. Previous beta 6 did not seem quite so long.

Additional Informaiton

I found the same with beta 6 but when I did 8 I used the router table to remove/delete boot connection when it was powered down then inserted/powered up and ssh pi@moode worked.

I finally made it, quite easy and straight forward, thank you for this amazing cookbook!
one last point, my Pi3 is connected via USB to my EMOTIVA XMC-1 which is not listed in the Configure section, i've selected the by last USB Output/Device the generic one, everything works that great, but i would like to know if there would have been another selection that would be more appropriate?
One of the other EMOTIVA products listed or another chipset available in the list?

Additional Informaiton

@BryceJ

Yes, I had to use the same too for build v1.0 and for most of the build I needed to login with the ip
Once it finished I could log in as pi@raspberrypi with password=moodeaudio and after I ran the updates it became pi@moode.

The LCD runs fine on 4/beta8 too :D

This is strange. It worked exactly as described in the recipe. Can you boot the RPI using a monitor etc? It is very easy to enable SSH if you are logged onto the RPI. The easiest is to launch raspi-config and enable SSH there. It is also very easy to change the password and host name there. command line is: sudo raspi-config

I found the same with beta 6 but when I did 8 I used the router table to remove/delete boot connection when it was powered down then inserted/powered up and ssh pi@moode worked.

Hi,

Most of these "host not found" issues are probably rooted in Router code. For example my dual-band ASUS RT-AC88U sometimes causes "host not found" when hosts are shut down and then powered up. Usually what I have to do is swap to the 2.5G band on my MacBook, then access the host by name, then swap back to the 5G band. Really odd.

-Tim

I finally made it, quite easy and straight forward, thank you for this amazing cookbook!
one last point, my Pi3 is connected via USB to my EMOTIVA XMC-1 which is not listed in the Configure section, i've selected the by last USB Output/Device the generic one, everything works that great, but i would like to know if there would have been another selection that would be more appropriate?
One of the other EMOTIVA products listed or another chipset available in the list?

Hi,

The device selections in Customize are for display-only on the Audio info screen. They don't perform any type of configuration. I2S devices are automatically populated in Customize. USB devices were added by hand to the device database and I haven't added any in a long while. If your particular USB audio device is not listed then the only option is "Generic USB".

-Tim

soo many thx again "Tim" ;-) (take a look at it)..and as said u made such a wonderful job with this moode->fantastic..!!
and the other thing: clearly u r not responsible for everything; we could be and are glad to get this moode at all..I was wondering a little bit why u have so much time and take so much effort in this "PC-/Software-Helpdesk"-forum ;-) here lately..
U didnt have to do that as u surely know..
so in this sense ;-)

lol, I enjoy providing support for moOde :) and at the same time I get to know everyone in this crazy space ;-)

A great way to show appreciation for ongoing support and troubleshooting is to make a Donation!

-Tim

@BryceJ

Regarding the ssh file, see item 3. in SSH (Secure Shell) - Raspberry Pi Documentation

The same use-and-delete action happens to the wpa_supplicant.conf file if it is present during the initial boot of raspbian. Similarly, with the moodecfg.txt if it is present during the initial boot of moOde.

Regarding "Host not found", hostname resolution is provided by the DNS server running on your router. What did your router's DHCP client table say the hostname was for the IP address you used? Were you trying to ssh to that hostname? FWIW, I haven't seen the behavior you describe with any of my debian/raspbian installs, RPi or otherwise.

Regards,
Kent

Last edited:
Hi all,

I'm installing moOde 4 beta 7 and after reboot in STEP 9, I can't connect to RPi.

I'm using RPi Zero W, and following "build recipe 1.5" instructions.

I'm using W10 via Putty and ssh (all communication is stablished ok), and all steps worked fine. I configured communication with usb0, wlan0... seem all ok.
And also now, I can't see COM port for RPi.
Some help will be appreciated.

Hi all,

I'm installing moOde 4 beta 7 and after reboot in STEP 9, I can't connect to RPi.

I'm using W10 via Putty and ssh (all communication is stablished ok), and all steps worked fine. I configured communication with usb0, wlan0... seem all ok.

I built beta 8 last night using a Pi 2 with a PiHut wifi dongle, was good still step 9 reboot, I had to attach a cable to eth0 to continue.

Hi all,

Solved!!!

ssh file missing, config.txt modified and "dtoverlay=dwc2" line erased, and wpa_supplicant.conf file also erased.

Why? I don't know, I'm newbie.... :)