Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

Hi @adrian311,

Yes, using an MCU + an Open Source driver that interfaces to an MCU and not directly to ESS DSP is an approach being taken by some HAT vendors. I think Allo is using that approach on an ESS based DAC that was announced a while back as being in development. i also recall IanCanada's ESS DAC uses same approach but does not have a driver yet.

The question is whether this approach will actually result in a driver that (a) does not violate ESS licensing prohibitions, (b) provides access to ESS volume controller and other DSP and (c) finally and most importantly is accepted into Linux mainline kernel.

We shall see.

-Tim

Tim as I thought best to leave it disabled. Apart from TTs and CD players I'm 100% DIY across three systems. What I'm saying is I get to choose my attenuators. Generally I use Alps Blue Vlevet pots which are high quality and I would like to think low noise. To further reduce noise here I add 2oz solid brass gold plated knobs which dampen resonance in the pot and thus less noise.

Thanks for your lengthy explanation.

(Artist)(Album) 4_45/78

4=track of alblum
45=position on playlist
78=total number of songs on playlist

?

No comments?

Does this not seem like a elegant and clean resolution?

Artist / Album / Track Name
Track_Position in playlist
Total number

Example
Anthony Hamilton / What I'm Feelin' / Save Me
1_23/89 <----1st track of the above album, 23rd track on a playlist of 89 tracks.

As the playlist plays out the 89 stays the same of course while the track number and position on playlist change.

Not sure if I was clear or understood.

An example would be the current Volumio where you can change backgrounds and even upload images.

FYI, aesthetics have value.

Hi,

I agree that design is equally as important as function, and your suggestions were good ones and I assume easily understood.

There are many features that could be implemented but they compete for development time. This particular feature is not currently on my TODO list but it could be if I get a lot of requests for it.

-Tim

No comments?

Does this not seem like a elegant and clean resolution?

Artist / Album / Track Name
Track_Position in playlist
Total number

Example
Anthony Hamilton / What I'm Feelin' / Save Me
1_23/89 <----1st track of the above album, 23rd track on a playlist of 89 tracks.

As the playlist plays out the 89 stays the same of course while the track number and position on playlist change.

Hi,

I'm not sure "1_23/89" is very intuitive.

-Tim

Hi Tim,
something odd that I'm sure has been covered before but I can't find it using the forum search....

On streaming radio (example = Ancient FM) often the title/track/artist throws up some very strange characters....
Example...
El Cant de la Sibil·la Provençal
is shown by MoOde as ...
Jordi Savall - Anonymous (13th Century)- El Cant de la Sibil?la Proven?al M. Figueras & J. Savall

Is there fix for this?

Thanks,
Bob

Last edited:
G'day all,

First of all, thanks Tim for a great player! It's very worth the money and it works a treat. Got MPD working in a minute, for librespot it took me a bit longer, but working now beautifully.

Question, I need to update some tags on the files in my external USB Drive (connected to the RPI). I can't seem to get any write/read access on the drive, even with commands such as:

Code:
 chmod -R 777 ../All\ Things\ Must\ Pass\ CD1/
after
Code:
ls -ls
it's still
Code:
18548 -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 18990490 Oct 10  2015 01 Id Have You Anytime.flac
Any ideas what I should be looking for? it's a pain to disconnect the USB drive in my setup, that's why.

Cheers,

Albert

G'day all,

First of all, thanks Tim for a great player! It's very worth the money and it works a treat. Got MPD working in a minute, for librespot it took me a bit longer, but working now beautifully.

Question, I need to update some tags on the files in my external USB Drive (connected to the RPI). I can't seem to get any write/read access on the drive, even with commands such as:

Code:
 chmod -R 777 ../All\ Things\ Must\ Pass\ CD1/
after
Code:
ls -ls
it's still
Code:
18548 -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 18990490 Oct 10  2015 01 Id Have You Anytime.flac
Any ideas what I should be looking for? it's a pain to disconnect the USB drive in my setup, that's why.

Cheers,

Albert

Hi, did you try using sudo?

sudo chmod -R 777 ../All\ Things\ Must\ Pass\ CD1/

Hi,
I just updated to 3.8.4a and wifi was not more working.

In system info, I got:
20170914 040913 worker: wlan0 exists
20170914 040913 worker: wlan0 trying SSID (Livebox-xxxx)
20170914 040913 worker: wlan0 wait 1 for address
20170914 040913 worker: wlan0 wait 2 for address
20170914 040913 worker: wlan0 wait 3 for address

investigating /etc/network/interfaces, i found:

allow-hotplug wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
wireless-power off
wpa-ssid "Livebox-xxxx"
wpa-psk "xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"

Changing "wireless-power off" to "wireless-power on" seems to fix the problem.
Was I the only one that got this bug?

Finally, someone else with a Wifi issue :D ... will check the interfaces file and report back..

update: no joy. the wifi interface doesn't come up on my setup (pi3, built-in wifi) and the interfaces file reverts back to "off" after reboot.

Last edited:
What is the main reason for difference in sound in every update that comes out? Although i always use the same settings. Plese not tune Moode for sharper and sharper thinn sound... Sounds in nature are not sharp, but transparent with weight and fast transients I am not good with linux... Alsa.. Kernell but my ears are quite good. After all excellent work from Tim.