Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

Hi,

Thanks for the new version!

Just a quick note the USB fix in the config file is still needed with an UAC2 USB audio device like C-Media for the kernal version included in MoOde test 2.4.

Without the fix, all 24 bit audio will give digital noise on C-Media 663x chip sets based USB DAC's. With the fix, it sounds great.

Rob

Yes, apparently fix still needed. Very confusing to me about the Linux USB UAC2 situation...

Regards,
Tim

Thank you TIM. I report works well with my HifiBerry DAC+. I've been waiting for the CUE support. It seems that it's still not working as I expected. My reference is how MusicBee is handling it. If you don't mind please test it with these files in my google drive:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B82CHGL3tC69ckZGbXY4ZUYxSlU

Thanks again!

I'm sorry I forgot to add details:

Here's my observation:
1) With the John Lennon album - It has one .wv file and a CUE. This album gets added to the library (nice!) but it does not show the tracks listed in the CUE file (bug?). The music gets played but only as one track.
2) With the Scorpion album - It also has one music file and a CUE. This album does not get added to the library at all (bug?)

I'm sorry I forgot to add details:

Here's my observation:
1) With the John Lennon album - It has one .wv file and a CUE. This album gets added to the library (nice!) but it does not show the tracks listed in the CUE file (bug?). The music gets played but only as one track.
2) With the Scorpion album - It also has one music file and a CUE. This album does not get added to the library at all (bug?)

Hi,

In Browse panel when you open an Album folder you should see the song file and then below it the associated cue sheet file.

Either one can be added to the Playlist, but if the cue sheet file is added MPD will parse it into individual tracks and list them in the Playlist.

Regards,
Tim

Thank you TIM. I report works well with my HifiBerry DAC+. I've been waiting for the CUE support. It seems that it's still not working as I expected. My reference is how MusicBee is handling it. If you don't mind please test it with these files in my google drive:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B82CHGL3tC69ckZGbXY4ZUYxSlU

Thanks again!

Hi,

I tried accessing the drive with an old gmail account but received "permission required" so i clicked the "Request Permission" button. You should see one or two requests.

I'll test with the files as soon as I can download them :)

Regards,
Tim

I'm sorry. I made the permission public now. Please try this link:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B82CHGL3tC69ckZGbXY4ZUYxSlU&usp=sharing

Hi,

Thanks, the link worked and I was able to download and analyze the files.

First the files:

(1) Scorpians flac file has no Artist, Album or song Title id3 tags so it will appear in Library panel under "Unknown" and will be almost impossible to find if there are a lot of other untagged files. The Library panel is built by generating a flat view organized by tag, of the MPD database (tag_cache).

(2) John Lennon wv file according to MPD contains an embedded playlist. I'm not familiar with this format so not sure if this normal. This file is tagged so it shows up in Library panel ok.

Next the bugs:

(1) The Browse panel is displaying the embedded playlist in the .wv wavpack file in addition to the cue sheet playlist. This will be fixed so only the song file and the cue sheet are displayed.

(2) Cue sheet entries have the wrong action menu. Already fixed.

After these fixes, cue should work for you as I explained in my previous post. Send email to tim at moodeaudio dot org and I'll send u a link to a test release that you can try out.

Regards,
Tim

Hi Tim, I just tried the version 2.4 beta but unfortunately embedded album art is not working for me with aac files. Is this enabled yet as I know you are working on it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi,

I just tested some AAC files and no issues getting cover art. Please zip up a few of the files and send me a download link. I'll analyze them.

Regards,
Tim

Hi,

Thanks, the link worked and I was able to download and analyze the files.

First the files:

(1) Scorpians flac file has no Artist, Album or song Title id3 tags so it will appear in Library panel under "Unknown" and will be almost impossible to find if there are a lot of other untagged files. The Library panel is built by generating a flat view organized by tag, of the MPD database (tag_cache).

(2) John Lennon wv file according to MPD contains an embedded playlist. I'm not familiar with this format so not sure if this normal. This file is tagged so it shows up in Library panel ok.

Next the bugs:

(1) The Browse panel is displaying the embedded playlist in the .wv wavpack file in addition to the cue sheet playlist. This will be fixed so only the song file and the cue sheet are displayed.

(2) Cue sheet entries have the wrong action menu. Already fixed.

After these fixes, cue should work for you as I explained in my previous post. Send email to tim at moodeaudio dot org and I'll send u a link to a test release that you can try out.

Regards,
Tim

Wow that quick response. Thank you. Email sent.

Donation brewing:)
Ferdz

Hi,

I just tested some AAC files and no issues getting cover art. Please zip up a few of the files and send me a download link. I'll analyze them.

Regards,
Tim
Tim, I sent you a link with a few files. Two that don't work, one that does. All files were encoded with the same software and show cover art as being embedded on my pc.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Tim, I sent you a link with a few files. Two that don't work, one that does. All files were encoded with the same software and show cover art as being embedded on my pc.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Hi,

After analyzing the files with mediainfo, the files that don't show cover art are container format ADTS that is not supported by the coverart module in Moode. This module uses Zend Media PHP-Reader. Formats supported are flac, mp3 or m4a (mpeg-4).

Workaround would be to script-out folder.jpg cover art files for those albums.

Regards,
Tim

Hi,

After analyzing the files with mediainfo, the files that don't show cover art are container format ADTS that is not supported by the coverart module in Moode.

Hi Tim, thanks for this. It is a mystery to me why Ez CD Audio Converter is converting some into m4a and some into ADTS.

As I have all the files in Flac I will convert them straight into the m4a option rather than AAC option and see if that helps keep them as m4a files.

Thanks again.

New user of Moode (v2.3) here and I want to thank Tim for the excellent player. It runs smoothly and is worthy of an audiophile setup.

Apologise if this has been asked before, but is the circular volume control in the Playback webUI software contol? I've read that 86 represents 0dB but don't want to set it to 86 if it's a software volume adjustment.

I'm using Rpi2 with XMOS USB-spdif adapter and not surprisingly in Configuration System, ALSA hardware volume control is not detected. Yet, Hardware Volume Control in Customization Setting allows me to set slope and max level. I can also change Volume Warning Limit.

So I'm a little confused here: which is hardware and which is software volume control? I just want to set Moode to 0dB level and leave my analogue attenuator to do the rest. What settings should I have? Thanks for the help.

New user of Moode (v2.3) here and I want to thank Tim for the excellent player. It runs smoothly and is worthy of an audiophile setup.

Apologise if this has been asked before, but is the circular volume control in the Playback webUI software contol? I've read that 86 represents 0dB but don't want to set it to 86 if it's a software volume adjustment.

I'm using Rpi2 with XMOS USB-spdif adapter and not surprisingly in Configuration System, ALSA hardware volume control is not detected. Yet, Hardware Volume Control in Customization Setting allows me to set slope and max level. I can also change Volume Warning Limit.

So I'm a little confused here: which is hardware and which is software volume control? I just want to set Moode to 0dB level and leave my analogue attenuator to do the rest. What settings should I have? Thanks for the help.

Hi,

Volume is overly complex, I agree. The reason for the complexity is that some audio devices have an onboard hardware volume controller, and in this case there will be two volume controls that have to be managed, and several volume control configurations that can be created.

In your case where you want to use an external volume control, the correct configuration is as follows:

(1) Set MPD volume control to "disabled" using MPD config screen. This will result in MPD outputting 100% volume level (0dB). The Moode volume knob will be grayed out, display 0 and will not accept any input.

(2) Since your audio device does not have onboard hardware volume controller there is nothing further that needs to be done.

NOTE: The Hardware volume control settings in the Customize popup are only used when MPD volume control is set to "Hardware" and the audio device has an onboard hardware volume controller.

I'll post a volume configuration guide, maybe later today :)

Regards,
Tim

Hi,

Reports of success with Moode 2.4 TR4 and HifiBerry DAC+ Pro DualClock :) The Pro uses same config as the DAC+ i.e., MPD Hardware volume, Logarithmic curve = Yes, Maximum volume % = 81

According to HifiBerry, the DAC+ Pro operates PCM5122 chip in "master mode" which allows i2s signal from the Pi to be re-clocked so that fractional and integer sample rates are processed by their own precision clocks on the Pro independent of Pi. This approach should reduce jitter :)

I think this is first i2s HAT DAC for Pi that operates 5122 in master mode.

Question I have is whether there are any audio glitches (pop, tick, etc) when switching between clocks. For example when 16/44.1 track ends and a 24/96 track begins.

Regards,
Tim

Thanks for your fast reply Tim. I kinda suspected the volume settings were irrelevant once hardware volume control was unrecognized, but just wanted to be sure. A suggestion: perhaps in future revisions the MPD volume option could be automatically set to disabled and greyed out once hardware volume control is unrecognized.

Cheers :)

Thanks for your fast reply Tim. I kinda suspected the volume settings were irrelevant once hardware volume control was unrecognized, but just wanted to be sure. A suggestion: perhaps in future revisions the MPD volume option could be automatically set to disabled and greyed out once hardware volume control is unrecognized.

Cheers :)

Hi Bernie,

Actually its ok for an audio device to not have a hardware volume controller. In this case MPD would be set to use "Software" volume control or if external volume ctl is being used set to "disabled".

MPD incorporates a high quality volume control algorithm that uses 32 bit floating point w/dither :)

One of the DAC's that I use, a G2 Labs BerryNOS Red (TDA 1541) does not have an onboard hardware volume controller. I use MPD "Software" volume control.

Is the "disabled" setting working ok for your system?

Regards,
Tim

Last edited:
Hi Bernie,

Actually its ok for an audio device to not have a hardware volume controller. In this case MPD would be set to use "Software" volume control or if external volume ctl is being used set to "disabled".

MPD incorporates a high quality volume control algorithm that uses 32 bit floating point w/dither :)

One of the DAC's that I use, a G2 Labs BerryNOS Red (TDA 1541) does not have an onboard hardware volume controller. I use MPD "Software" volume control.

Is the "disabled" setting working ok for your system?

Regards,
Tim

In Moode 2.3 I've set MPD to Volume Control disabled. The Volume knob is not greyed out and I can use it, which may actually be a good thing in my setup comprising

Pi => XMOS => DEQ2496 => AK4495 dac => 'Lightspeed' LDR attenuator => L25D amp.

My AK4495 dac is way too loud going into my LDR attenuator which does not like to see much more than 2V coming in.

I notice that applying MPD config changes take a very long time (or the player hangs) such that I have to do a power reset each time. Is this expected?

In Moode 2.3 I've set MPD to Volume Control disabled. The Volume knob is not greyed out and I can use it, which may actually be a good thing in my setup comprising

Pi => XMOS => DEQ2496 => AK4495 dac => 'Lightspeed' LDR attenuator => L25D amp.

My AK4495 dac is way too loud going into my LDR attenuator which does not like to see much more than 2V coming in.

I notice that applying MPD config changes take a very long time (or the player hangs) such that I have to do a power reset each time. Is this expected?

Hi,

The symptoms

(1) "I've set MPD to Volume Control disabled. The Volume knob is not greyed out and I can use it"

(2) "applying MPD config changes take a very long time (or the player hangs) such that I have to do a power reset each time"

suggests a bad or corrupt SD card, failing power supply, network issue or less likely but still possible some sort of issue with the Web Browser cache,

Regards,
Tim