Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

I have just configured my rasberry 3b streaming from a NAS to my Esoteric D 7x DAC. All the files with bitrate 16, 16/44.1 play very well. All other files with bitrate 24 like 24/44.1 24/96 or 26/192 when they start they have a very loud hissing noise and the music is very faint in the background. When I went to the settings and activate resampling to convert everything from 24 to 16 it'll work well. So the files four instance in 24/192 when they were resampleed at 16/192 were working fine but when resampling was off they have the same problem. I also have the same problem with the radio stations. I also tried to turn the USB (UAC 2) fix on it didn't change anything.

Any solution??

Thank you very much in advance

Back to AirPlay and the Hifiberry AMP+...

The response I received from Daniel was:

we won't change the volume scale of the Amp+ to decibels as this would break a lot of other software. Enabling something for a specific software and breaking others is not something other users would like.

I'm interested to know what would 'break', as his own forum is full of tortuous workarounds to get it working with the main five Pi music apps.

The change is to the driver. He can keep the existing one and offer a 'hifiberry-amp-log' if it's really going to cause so much of a fuss.

And why is it that all his other products with hardware volume control are dB/logarithmic?

New use to Moode, and I must say I am quite enjoying it. Very easy to use, works well out of the box with minimal configuration. Thank you for putting together such a well designed and cohesive product.

I have a couple of quick questions:

1 - Is there an official Github org/repo(s) for Moode?
I've found https://github.com/moode-player and
https://github.com/andig/moode.

2 - Is there an IRC channel on Freenode, or anywhere else?

Thanks, and keep up the great work!

Hi,

Thanks for the nice compliment! I really appreciate it :)

I don't maintain a Git for Moode sources because it would become another support vector for me. All the sources are in /var/www on the image.

If you have some mods in mind, send me an email.

-Tim

I have just configured my rasberry 3b streaming from a NAS to my Esoteric D 7x DAC. All the files with bitrate 16, 16/44.1 play very well. All other files with bitrate 24 like 24/44.1 24/96 or 26/192 when they start they have a very loud hissing noise and the music is very faint in the background. When I went to the settings and activate resampling to convert everything from 24 to 16 it'll work well. So the files four instance in 24/192 when they were resampleed at 16/192 were working fine but when resampling was off they have the same problem. I also have the same problem with the radio stations. I also tried to turn the USB (UAC 2) fix on it didn't change anything.

Any solution??

Thank you very much in advance

Hi,

Its possible that the USB receiver in this device is not compatible with Linux USB driver, even with the USB (UAC2) fix.

From their web site:

"The USB input supports asynchronous transmission up to 24 bit / 192kHz using ESOTERIC's original driver software for PC or MAC."

-Tim

Back to AirPlay and the Hifiberry AMP+...

The response I received from Daniel was:

"we won't change the volume scale of the Amp+ to decibels as this would break a lot of other software. Enabling something for a specific software and breaking others is not something other users would like."

I'm interested to know what would 'break', as his own forum is full of tortuous workarounds to get it working with the main five Pi music apps.

The change is to the driver. He can keep the existing one and offer a 'hifiberry-amp-log' if it's really going to cause so much of a fuss.

And why is it that all his other products with hardware volume control are dB/logarithmic?

Hi Mike,

I think the Amp+ is one of the early chip amp boards for the Pi. Later products enjoyed enhanced drivers and features.

-Tim

So to employ a dB/logarithmic volume would require a driver rewrite?

Maybe, I have no way of knowing how much work is involved but its probably not a trivial amount, and they have already said that they are not going to spend any time on it. I think the shairport-sync dev has said same regarding some sort of exception coding for the Amp+'s weird volume scale.

I'd just go with a DigiAmp+ which works perfectly with Moode, Airplay and the nice audio options in the Advanced kernel.

-Tim

It was of academic interest, i have one but it's the only Hifiberry product I own, and the last.

More than happy with my IQ Audio digiAMP

It seems that there's been a number of driver-related issues with Hifiberry kit lately, incompatibilities and difficulties. I wouldn't recommend, unless you had to have their particular mix of features.

Tim,
Is there any way to quickly get to the ap mode without reinstalling of image?
Accidentally i've screwed up the network config (switched over to 5GHz ssid without checking if my wifi card can do that). Now, to fix it, i would have to dismantle my player (attached to the speaker), move to a different room and connect to monitor and keyboard (its pi zero, so via additional adapters). I'm looking for a way like reusing of moodecfg.txt file to get back to ap mode or fix the setup (only the ssid name to connect to) where i would only have to put the sd card to my laptop.

Maybe it's an idea for future update? Very helpful for headless players.

Last edited:
Tim,
Accidentally i've screwed up the network config (switched over to 5GHz ssid without checking if my wifi card can do that). Now, to fix it, i would have to dismantle my player (attached to the speaker), move to a different room and connect to monitor and keyboard (its pi zero, so via additional adapters). I'm looking for a way like reusing of moodecfg.txt file to get back to ap mode or fix the setup (only the ssid name to connect to) where i would only have to put the sd card to my laptop.

Hi,

AP mode is activated when there is no SSID entered under the WiFi (wlan0) section of Network config. If you want to try activating AP mode via moodecfg.txt then don't set an SSID for the wlanssid param. It should be wlanssid=

Better would be to use moodecfg.txt to configure for your 2.4 GHz SSID. Set wlanssid=Your 2.4 GHz SSID

Remember that every param has to be in the file even if it is assigned its default value.

-Tim

Tim,

A quick fix is to swap your 2.4 and 5GHz SSIDs, change moode, then swap back again.

Hi Tim,

I love MoodeAudio and just contributed with a small donation to thank you and help support your efforts.
We use it every day in an upcycled 1937 radio, it's awesome!
I have managed to use a rotary encoder to change the volume but I am struggling to understand if I can use an additional rotary to change the stations.
Can you please point me to the right direction ?

Thank you again for such a great job !
Remi M.

Hi Tim,

I love MoodeAudio and just contributed with a small donation to thank you and help support your efforts.
We use it every day in an upcycled 1937 radio, it's awesome!
I have managed to use a rotary encoder to change the volume but I am struggling to understand if I can use an additional rotary to change the stations.
Can you please point me to the right direction ?

Thank you again for such a great job !
Remi M.

Me too! I've got hundreds of old radios I'm slowly restoring. Literally hundreds. I won't take anything newer than 1950s.

The best way is to use something like an arduino with the rotary encoder, then send serial commands to the Pi.

Like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgkHJmhx2VI

This is the most comprehensive guide on internet radio building I have read - incredible level of detail: http://www.bobrathbone.com/raspberrypi/Raspberry PI Radio.pdf

As he is also using MPD, it's completely applicable to Moode.

Everything, including docs and sketches for the Arduino and code for the Pi is here: https://github.com/bobrathbone/piradio

Last edited:
Me too! I've got hundreds of old radios I'm slowly restoring. Literally hundreds. I won't take anything newer than 1950s.

The best way is to use something like an arduino with the rotary encoder, then send serial commands to the Pi.

Like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgkHJmhx2VI

This is the most comprehensive guide on internet radio building I have read - incredible level of detail: http://www.bobrathbone.com/raspberrypi/Raspberry PI Radio.pdf

As he is also using MPD, it's completely applicable to Moode.

Everything, including docs and sketches for the Arduino and code for the Pi is here: https://github.com/bobrathbone/piradio

Thanks Zootalaws, I was hoping I could add one more encoder directly connected to the Pi in order to change stations from within the playlist.
I agree that bothrabone's tutorial is amazing and very instructive.

Merry Christmas to all!

Hi there,

I finally managed to get hang on finishing the Pi3 test set-up with Moode and have one peculiar query. I'm using HiFiBery Digi+ Pro I2S interface (and configured correctly in Moode), however music does sound "speeded up" a bit ?! I'm resampling at 192/24 Sox HQ. When switching to USB (converter) interface (Gustard U12) it seems in order.

I don't remember the similar manifestation with Volumio, so maybe someone could offer any usefully hint?

M Xmas

Issues configuring NAS

Hi Tim,
Thanks for developing such a wonderful program. I am using it and right now able to listen the radio stations. For some reason I am unable to configure the NAS. Actually its a HDD attached to a Asus router and I have tried many times and cannot get it to work. I am attaching the screenshot and keep getting this error.
thanks,
Merry Christmas and Happy holidays

Attachments

• nas error.jpg
    nas error.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 304