Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

I'm experiencing strange behaviour with my NAS sources.
I configured 2 NAS sources, both are SMB/CIFS shares on my Windows 10 computer. They are indexed and all work ok. I leave the Raspberry always on, but at the end of the day I hibernate my computer. With previous versions of moode this sometimes caused problems, maybe some timer disconnected the share (a quick googling showed that this could be a common Linux problem with hibernated SMB mounts) and moode didn't play songs from these NAS sources. Not always, sometimes there were no issues for about a week. But the reboot of the Raspberry always solved this problem.

Now, since I use Moode 2.7 things are worse. I used this new version for days without issues but once Moode looses the NAS sources a reboot does not solve anything. The green checkmark appears with the NAS sources on the config screen, but the sources are not mounted, /mnt/NAS/source is an empty dir and music does not play. Only solution is to go to the sources config screen, open the source configuration and press save without changing anything. Then that source gets indexed (quite quickly) then it works. Until the next Raspberry reboot (without hibernating Windows), because after that, the source is lost again (but it appears ok in the sources config screen).
I see that NAS mounts are not in /etc/fstab, but where do they get mounted from?

Edit: I use wired ethernet with static IP

Seems that I was able to fix this, but I'm not tested it thoroughly.
The NAS source names were a single letter. I changed them to longer names and the sources are remembered and mounted correctly through Raspberry reboots.
Could a single letter NAS source name cause problems?

hi tim,

i have two wishes/suggestions

now moode ignore only "a,an,the" in artist names (playerlib.js) but there are much more as "le, la, les, los, der, die, ..."
it would be convenient to make it possible editing the ignored "words" in the web interface

when click the volume knob, its locked to the mouse
it would be nice do see, if it is locked or not
maybe you could change the color when locked

found a nice and lean website (many stations are already included in mood)
"High Bit Rate Internet Radio" -- http://radiobit.50webs.com/

thanks
puxxi2003

Still no luck

Hi,

Change eth0 to DHCP, APPLY then unplug the cable.

If you are going to use a static ip address for eth0 at some point then Primary DNS should be set to same as Gateway addr 192.168.1.1, leave secondary DNS blank.

-Tim

When I hit apply it asks fro a reboot if I pull the cable I loose control. I can not reboot

I know this is supposed to be simple just cannot figure out what to do. If I leave the Ethernet cable out for a while I can never get back to the player
even if I put the cable back in. My only choice is to start over and re image the chip. I have done this numerous times

hi tim,

i have two wishes/suggestions

now moode ignore only "a,an,the" in artist names (playerlib.js) but there are much more as "le, la, les, los, der, die, ..."
it would be convenient to make it possible editing the ignored "words" in the web interface

when click the volume knob, its locked to the mouse
it would be nice do see, if it is locked or not
maybe you could change the color when locked

found a nice and lean website (many stations are already included in mood)
"High Bit Rate Internet Radio" -- http://radiobit.50webs.com/

thanks
puxxi2003

Hi,

#1 is interesting. I'll add to the TODO list.

#2 are u using an Android device? This behavior has only been reported by a few users that have Android devices.

Yes, good link for radio stations!

-Tim

Hi Tim
I've just loaded the Moode image to my sd card and rebooted my pi. ( I've been trying Volumio and Rune but I've been told your program is the best) i connected the network cable between the pi and computer, rebooted and tried to find it in my browser. Couldn't. Tried, HTTP://Moode.local as was listed in the setup notes. any ideas?

I know once I get into it I'll be able to configure everything.

Appreciate your assistance.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

I have a couple of GUI requests too while we're on those.

1. When loading an entire folder to play, if a cue file exists use it in preference to audio files. For example many of my classical albums have a single flac file and cue, so if the flac loads songs are not selectable or identified.

2. Could we have a setting option to display images from the album folder in preference to an embedded image. I generally embed a small image to my music and store a high resolution album cover in the directory.

Also, is there git repository available for moode files?

Thanks

Hi Tim
I've just loaded the Moode image to my sd card and rebooted my pi. ( I've been trying Volumio and Rune but I've been told your program is the best) i connected the network cable between the pi and computer, rebooted and tried to find it in my browser. Couldn't. Tried, HTTP://Moode.local as was listed in the setup notes. any ideas?

I know once I get into it I'll be able to configure everything.

Appreciate your assistance.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Hi,

I've never tested peer-to-peer connection.

What IP address did your PC assign?

-Tim

1. When loading an entire folder to play, if a cue file exists use it in preference to audio files. For example many of my classical albums have a single flac file and cue, so if the flac loads songs are not selectable or identified.

2. Could we have a setting option to display images from the album folder in preference to an embedded image. I generally embed a small image to my music and store a high resolution album cover in the directory.

Thanks

Hi,

I don't maintain a repo for Moode source files but they are all in /var/www on the image.

1. When folder is added from Browse panel, the mpd add command is used and this command does not parse playlists which is in effect what a cue sheet is, thus the individual tracks won't appear in the main Playlist.

2. I can add to my TODO list

-Tim

Hi I'm brand new to this.
I've got Moode working on my Pi3 with DAC+

Is there any way to get a BBC local station?

I'm looking for Radio Merseyside
Also Radio 4 extra
neither of which appear in the radio list

Hi,

Browse, RADIO, click the menu for any station in the list, Create new station.

You will need to get the direct stream link for the station. Usually the stream links can be found by Google search.

-Tim

Thanks

other programs also have probs to deal with "one file albums" and cue
u can use the "Medieval CUE Splitter" to split the file
it uses the cue to produce a single file for each song, all tagged
Medieval CUE Splitter (PC)
freeware, clear and many options

Hi,
I'll look into Redis but u need to explain in detail what part of Moode would experience 10X better performance. Is it boot time, UI response?
Indexing. For instance indexing my collection on Rune takes about two hours, I left Moode indexing overnight and it was still running the next day. In Rune If you select "Update this folder" on an artist where I added an album it takes a minute. In moode it takes 10 minutes.

2) SD card wear has not been an issue but poor quality SD cards are YMMV. Personally, I've only experienced one SD card failure in two years. I use premium Sandisk Ultra cards and my 6 systems get completely hammered every week with software reloads, 7/24 playback runs, MPD database rebuilds, huge logs, pull-the-plug, 100's of reboots and cold starts, SD card swaps, you name it.
The gods look down upon you favorably. I had a 32GB Sandisk (pro or ultra, the red/grey one) fail on a Pine64 a few days ago. I've gotten to where I don't even want to touch a card that's not Samsung (they seem to fail the least). I only buy from reputable retailers like Costco or Newegg so I don't get counterfeits. You can only write to flash so many times before it dies, but my experience is that in addition to this they just randomly corrupt on a regular basis. I have seen 20 or 25 flash devices (SD cards / USB sticks / SSDs) corrupt or die in the last 3 years.

I'm more of a php dev / sysadmin than a C coder, but I've made progress on a /proc LKM:
root@moode:~/module# insmod moode_status.ko
root@moode:~/module# ls -l /proc/moode
-rw-rw-r-- 1 root www-data 0 Sep 19 12:22 /proc/moode
root@moode:~/module# rmmod moode_status
root@moode:~/module# dmesg | tail -n2
[ 297.107057] moode loaded
[ 305.131034] moode unloaded

If anyone is a C coder and willing to give me even a few minutes of help I would appreciate it. I'm having issues with copy_to_user() and copy_from_user().

Hi,

I've never tested peer-to-peer connection.

What IP address did your PC assign?

-Tim
Thanks Tim
So I don't connect it direct to the pc then! My bad..... I also tried plugging it into my wifi router but I couldn't see it. The wifi dongle isn't active so I can use this either.

So do I need to revisit the wifi router option again?

I'm sure when I set up Rune I plugged directly into my PC and used the local command in my browser.

Appreciate any tips you may have in getting this up and connected.

Many thanks Dave

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Indexing NAS files and folders

Hi

I have all my music in one folder on my NAS (Qnap TS410) called MUSIC
the hierarchy is NAS/Recordings/MUSIC

Within the MUSIC folder are many other folders mostly the artists name but not all!
within the artist name folders are mostly album names and within those are the tracks often with jpegs of the artwork etc.
There are also other folders within the artist folders named things like live shows or whatever.

The tracks are in either MP3, FLAC or WAV mostly. Also in some folders are .m3u and .cue files (not all by any means)

Moode has found my NAS and indexed it, however it seems random. I cant see some whole artist folders or albums mentioned at all.
Its all very random or rather it ends up that way with my collection.

I'm used to being able to just browse my folders as folders like in windows.
Is there any way I can achieve that?

Hi

I have all my music in one folder on my NAS (Qnap TS410) called MUSIC
the hierarchy is NAS/Recordings/MUSIC

Within the MUSIC folder are many other folders mostly the artists name but not all!
within the artist name folders are mostly album names and within those are the tracks often with jpegs of the artwork etc.
There are also other folders within the artist folders named things like live shows or whatever.

The tracks are in either MP3, FLAC or WAV mostly. Also in some folders are .m3u and .cue files (not all by any means)

Moode has found my NAS and indexed it, however it seems random. I cant see some whole artist folders or albums mentioned at all.
Its all very random or rather it ends up that way with my collection.

I'm used to being able to just browse my folders as folders like in windows.
Is there any way I can achieve that?

Hi,

Try the following to troubleshoot:

1) NAS config, remove the nas source
2) System config, clear system logs
3) NAS config, create the source again
4) After indexing completes, examine mpd log

cat /var/log/mpd/mpd.log

-Tim

Hi,

Try the following to troubleshoot:

1) NAS config, remove the nas source
2) System config, clear system logs
3) NAS config, create the source again
4) After indexing completes, examine mpd log

cat /var/log/mpd/mpd.log

-Tim

Thank you for your quick responses
I've done 1-3 its just indexing now.
btw the updating icon is still turning but it hasn't changed from this in a while
Music Library
1218 tracks, 84 hours, 46 minutes

forgive my ignorance but where do I find the mpd log and what am I looking for in it?
I dont have any direct access to my Pi3 directly and no idea about linux (sorry) maybe I could follow some instructions if not to technical!

First, huge thanks to Tim for producing something which really does pretty much just work. I have tried volumio and runeaudio, but moode is the only one which reliably switches between airplay, web radio and dnla. With the latest upgrade I even managed to get it to read my music collection off a disk plugged into the USB port.

Hoever, I have one small gui problem (literally). When I look at the library on my phone, it shows nothing but albums and tracks. There is no way to see either genres or artists. Is there any way to modify the display for small screens so that it showed the artists at least?