Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

Hi Fernando,

I'll retest adding some music to SDCARD but TR1 should have the Stereo Test file already on the SDCARD and indexed by MPD.

Possibly a permissions issue. How did you add the files?

-Tim

Well, using cifs://moode.local as you suggested some posts ago. I created a folder (I can see it) and then I dragged and dropped the albums in different folders to the folder I created.

BR / Fernando

Hi Mike,

Here is updated auto-config file that includes support for wlan SSID. Worker has been changed to auto-reboot after processing the file. Simpler.

-Tim

#########################################
# Copy this file to /boot/moodecfg.txt
# worker will process it at startup then
# delete it and automatically reboot.
#########################################

[names]
hostname=moode
browsertitle=MoOde Player
airplayname=Moode Airplay
upnpname=Moode UPNP
dlnaname=Moode DLNA
mpdzeroconf=moode

[services]
airplaysvc=0
upnpsvc=0
dlnasvc=0

[network]
wlanssid=MySSID
wlansec=wpa
wlanpwd=MyPassword
apdssid=Moode
apdchan=6
apdpwd=moodeaudio

[other]
timezone=America/Detroit
themecolor=Emerald

Hi Tim,

Can you include this as a template on the FAT partition and, instead of deleting moodecfg.txt please rename it so us fat-fingered bad typists can have a chance of recovering and re-editing it after booting in case we've mistyped the SSID and/or password?

Cheers,

Phil

Hi Steve,

Very odd. USB DAC's are supported. I have two of them.

The Audio output field in MPD config should default to "On-board audio device" so I'm not sure where the value "none" is coming from.

What model Pi are u using?

-Tim

Hi Tim,

My mistake, trying to do this from memory without Moode in front of me. Yes it was showing on board audio device. I am running Rasberry Pi 2.

Thanks

Steve

Moode 2.6 working smoothly and reliably with Rpi2 and 3. Thanks Tim!
During the time with 2.5 the wifi reception on the Pi3 went all feeble on me, and it would only pick up a signal if it was within a few feet of the router. I thought things might change when I installed 2.6 but it's the same. Works fine if I plug in an external wifi dongle though. Problems with the Pi3 wifi have been reported elsewhere, I see.
Whilst on the subject of wifi, I've seen it suggested that the sound quality can be improved by mounting the dongle on an extension lead away from the Pi. Presumably to reduce radiated noise? Cheap and easy, worth a try.

Last edited:
Tim, will you be able to list compatible USB WiFi adapters that work with AP and MoOde, or know where to point to find out?

The info is nearly always available from the chip-maker specifications.

Look for 'AP' or 'Soft AP'

The one I always use, that works out of the box, is anything based on the RTL RT5370 chipset.

Look for that and you won't go wrong.

Also, the new R'Pi3 works out of the box.

The RTL8188 and variants, while being one of the more ubiquitous and common around, doesn't work with stock HOSTAPD.

Sure, well here's a link for Rpi USB adapters that might be useful. Only a handful seem to be tested with AP support though.

Nope, the 8188 doesn't work in AP mode with the stock Linux distribution - you have to download the source and recompile using their version of HOSTAPD.

That does work, however, but is a bit of a mission to get a $3 WiFi adapter working.

ext4 usb disk will not automount FIXED!!!!

Hi TIm.

I added ext4 disks to the udisks-glue.conf in /etc thus:-

filter ext4disks {
optical = false
partition_table = false
usage = filesystem
type = ext4
}

and

match ext4disks {
automount = true
automount_options = {sync,noexec,nodev,noatime,nodiratime}
}

When I power up my usb ext4 drive automounts and works fine!

Many thanks for a great release!

cheers

Patrick

Last edited:
I'm a new Moode user having just installed 2.6 TR1 onto a RPi3 with a HiFiBerry Amp+

I used the AP method to set up, and all is working so far including hardware volume.

I'm very impressed, and this will probably be my chosen player going forward having previously used one of the other main MPD based players. Thanks!
I particularly like the fast boot time and the good selection of radio stations included, like the BBC and SomaFM ones.

Jerry

Moode 2.6 working smoothly and reliably with Rpi2 and 3. Thanks Tim!
During the time with 2.5 the wifi reception on the Pi3 went all feeble on me, and it would only pick up a signal if it was within a few feet of the router. I thought things might change when I installed 2.6 but it's the same. Works fine if I plug in an external wifi dongle though. Problems with the Pi3 wifi have been reported elsewhere, I see.
Whilst on the subject of wifi, I've seen it suggested that the sound quality can be improved by mounting the dongle on an extension lead away from the Pi. Presumably to reduce radiated noise? Cheap and easy, worth a try.

Does MrEngman's advice here help?

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=44044&start=500

"To disable power management create file /etc/modprobe.d/8192cu.conf for example using command

Code:
sudo nano /etc/modprobe.d/8192cu.conf

and add the single line

Code:
options 8192cu rtw_power_mgnt=0 rtw_enusbss=0

Terminate the editor with keys cntl-x, y, enter. Reboot to make it active."

Does MrEngman's advice here help?

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=44044&start=500

"To disable power management create file /etc/modprobe.d/8192cu.conf for example using command

Code:
sudo nano /etc/modprobe.d/8192cu.conf

and add the single line

Code:
options 8192cu rtw_power_mgnt=0 rtw_enusbss=0

Terminate the editor with keys cntl-x, y, enter. Reboot to make it active."

Thanks for your reply, but I think I'll stick with the external adapter until my knowledge has advanced a bit!

Feature request: would it be possible to show the bit depth, sample rate, and bit-rate of the current file playing on the playback screen?

Also, solved most of the issues with embedded album artwork not showing, but hi-res music files (FLAC) bought from HDtracks or the Pono store don't show artwork, even though I confirmed the art is embedded in the files. Tim, I'll email you a couple tracks for testing if that's ok.

Hi TIm.

I added ext4 disks to the udisks-glue.conf in /etc thus:-

filter ext4disks {
optical = false
partition_table = false
usage = filesystem
type = ext4
}

and

match ext4disks {
automount = true
automount_options = {sync,noexec,nodev,noatime,nodiratime}
}

When I power up my usb ext4 drive automounts and works fine!

Many thanks for a great release!

cheers

Patrick

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for testing! I'll add this to the config file.

-Tim

Hi Tim,

My mistake, trying to do this from memory without Moode in front of me. Yes it was showing on board audio device. I am running Rasberry Pi 2.

Thanks

Steve

Hi Steve,

Try with a different SD card, fresh Moode image and boot up without the USB DAC connected. Then plug it in and post back the output from cmds below:

1) lsusb
2) play -l

-Tim

Feature request: would it be possible to show the bit depth, sample rate, and bit-rate of the current file playing on the playback screen?

Also, solved most of the issues with embedded album artwork not showing, but hi-res music files (FLAC) bought from HDtracks or the Pono store don't show artwork, even though I confirmed the art is embedded in the files. Tim, I'll email you a couple tracks for testing if that's ok.

Hi,

Sample rate, etc on Playback panel is already on my TODO list. I'll get to it eventually.

I'm pretty sure the hi-res files from these providers use PDF format for their embedded art so its a no-go for display in Moode. The only option is to manually create a folder.jpg file in the folder containing the files.

-Tim