Modern Digital Oscilloscopes are amazing for their price

Siglent have a software waveform generator - the SDS1000X-E FG Waveform Generator Software - as an accessory for the SDS800X-HD, for the SDS1000X-E and SDS1000X-HD series - maybe more. It's a plus, but around £102 in the UK.

As it's software, are there any alternatives for these units, or might there be?

Oops - turns out it's just a licence to enable connection to Siglent's external hardware waveform generator.

Siglent offer the EasywaveX waveform generators for the SDG series which are downloadable.

Then I found this: Github - Siglent SDS1004X-E Bode Plot which does require an external hardware AWG.

Last edited:
I bought this scope for $77 all Inc.from Ali delivered in 10days from my country, no import tax. 120 Mhz one channel , FFT not ⚖ with linear frequency but usable. Wave generator 2Vp very practical, DMM with 599. 9mv AC/DC scale.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
It doesn’t?

The web site says 10mV/div for x1 and 100mV/div for x10, so I assumed it did the right thing. I should have known better. These inexpensive scopes often seem to have dishonest spec sheets.

I obviously did not watch the entire review video (1 hour was too much wasted time) - mostly just the bandwidth testing since these companies often lie about that for some reason. As if claiming a dishonest 120 MHz will yield better sales than an honest 80 MHz. Anyway, during the bandwidth testing and probe cal sections it looked usable to me. I could be wrong!

I don't know much about it, but there's an open source project called "ScopeFun" that seems to be very good. Of course, it is designed to run in conjunction with a laptop computer.

https://www.scopefun.com/

ScopeFun - Open Source Instrumentation​

Several instruments in one device​

• Oscilloscope, Arbitrary Waveform Generator, Spectrum Analyzer, Logic Analyzer, Digital Pattern Generator.

Open source​

• Software, firmware and hardware sources are available for free. All under open source license.

Cross Platform​

• Software runs on Windows, Linux and Mac.

Specifications​

• 2 analog oscilloscope channels (10-bit)
  • 500 Msps Real-Time Sampling rate (single channel) / 250 Msps (dual channel)
  • 2.0 GSps Equivalent-Time Sampling rate (ETS)
  • 128 Mega samples memory buffer (per channel)
  • 2 analog generators (200 Msps, 12-bit)
  • 12 digital channels (logic analyzer / digital pattern generator)
  • USB 3.0 interface

I don't know much about it, but there's an open source project called "ScopeFun" that seems to be very good. Of course, it is designed to run in conjunction with a laptop computer.

https://www.scopefun.com/
Interesting - thanks for pointing it out. It costs $899, and that seems to be without probes. If the software was good then it could compete with some Picoscope and Analog Discovery models. But the video makes the software look quite primitive. It must be designed for folks who want to use the API to build their own instruments, or perhaps the developers are hoping there will be a community to spring up and make beautiful software. Reminds me of the Red Pitaya...

Not sure you know but the rigol and I'd wager the siglent offer a API to access the scopes. In the case of the rigol, any control can be set/retrieved via commands over ethernet and I think USB. I've only used the ethernet. You can also pull the current waveform over the interface. I've written the code to do a a pull, not that difficult. The new 12 bit rigols also let you connect a hdmi monitor to the scope for a bigger screen.

Reactions: 1 user