Moderation and members no longer around

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Trevor,
You can pull up all kinds of specific cases and get the same answer. Decisions are based on how posts stack up against the policies here, and also what we understand the intent of a post to be. It's that simple. It really doesn't matter who is involved in the situation. Having said that, a member with a long, trouble-free history who tends to help people tends to have the benefit of the doubt. No surprise there.

From your recent posts, you seem to be concerned about favoritism and have somehow come to believe it has to do with advertisers here. All I can tell you is that if you look long and hard enough, you may be able to convince yourself this is true. However, you will have disregarded much more contrary information. In other words, you are chasing ghosts.

Hi Morten,
We have had the same problems here in Canada for a very long time. Now they are supposed to have the word "advertisement" running around the paper ad, or at least along the top. It still fools people and the intent is very clear.

On the internet, there are sites that use trademarks and symbols specifically to convince you that there is a relationship between the site and a trusted company. I don't think dishonest people will ever let up.

-Chris

Disabled Account
Joined 2004
many contribute in a priceless way with their educational and helpful posting, but we don't have a mark of recognition for that (I tried (see post thanks) - there may be more attempts). I see this as a current flaw in the system that will be repaired in the future.

That's a good idea. I know some people in the tube forum who fit that description. They deserve a medal. Hey they give long and detailed information to people who ask for it and sometimes they're not even thanked ... other times they're just plainly ignored. Don't ask me who they are, SY knows. :D

They're like saints to me, I lack the patience and most important the knowledge. :D

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Then to be fair to the rest of us shouldn't the sponsors be identified as such rather than just being allowed to mingle in with the crowd ??

regards
trev

Trevor, at least one group of sponsors are, those who donate money to help defray the cost of operating the forum - just look for the little star... :D

I do it (several times a year) because I really believe in this place, and that is the ONLY reason why... I highly recommend it. Every little bit does help.

Last edited:
Commercial vendors Trevor, not sponsors. They are there for everyone to see.

Where ?

As I look at this page where do I look to see if anyone is a commercial sponsor ??

I can easily see who are the moderators but not the sponsors.

Should there be better identification than that ?? What about putting some information in their profile etc ??

regards
trev

Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
Then to be fair to the rest of us shouldn't the sponsors be identified as such rather than just being allowed to mingle in with the crowd ??

regards
trev

Yes. Being up front about any commercial ties or interests will likely be a part of the new forum rules, and the signature is as good a place as any to do that.

As it stands, all the CS forum owners that come to mind have signatures that clearly state their commercial interests.

CS forum owners will also have a special identifier in the near future.

Just a point on identifying commercial interests, (not having any myself), I think it important to be careful about how these are identified. A seller of speakers may have no expertise on amplifiers, and personally I would take some notice, (with caution), of his opinion re speakers, but less notice re amplifiers.
To me. as a first step, checking his listed commercial web page is a good way of making this necessary judgement.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi rjb,Trevor,
Very often, members with commercial interests in posting can't wait to identify themselves. We've seen this time and time again.

Why?
They want to sell stuff, that's why.

On to the concern over a seller being light on the hard facts. I can't understand why there is such a concern over vendors here. I would be concerned about any member making suggestions without understanding the subject they are posting on. It matters not whether they are vendors.

More damage to equipment and lost money occurs when audio myths are repeated by people who don't really understand the subject. It's bad enough when a person attempts to "improve" their own equipment. Then they do it to their friends and acquaintances. The less informed technician often performs these changes for a stiff price as they bill themselves as "gurus" and high end service professionals. Often this is the only work they do (what? troubleshoot and repair an amp??!).

Anyone posting what is supposed to be technical information has the potential to assist in damaging equipment. You have to worry about everyone posting, not just people with commercial interests.

Singling these people out is pointless. They represent a small fraction of the total problem of posting inaccurate information.

-Chris

Last edited:
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi rjb,Trevor,
Very often, members with commercial interests in posting can't wait to identify themselves. We've seen this time and time again.

Why?
They want to sell stuff, that's why.

On to the concern over a seller being light on the hard facts. I can't understand why there is such a concern over vendors here. I would be concerned about any member making suggestions without understanding the subject they are posting on. It matters not whether they are vendors.

More damage to equipment and lost money occurs when audio myths are repeated by people who don't really understand the subject. It's bad enough when a person attempts to "improve" their own equipment. Then they do it to their friends and acquaintances. The less informed technician often performs these changes for a stiff price as they bill themselves as "gurus" and high end service professionals. Often this is the only work they do (what? troubleshoot and repair an amp??!).

Anyone posting what is supposed to be technical information has the potential to assist in damaging equipment. You have to worry about everyone posting, not just people with commercial interests.

Singling these people out is pointless. They represent a small fraction of the total problem of posting inaccurate information.

-Chris

This is a very good point Chris. Some people have a natural distrust of commercial posters, often from being burned before. But at least a commercial poster is under pressure to deliver something that works and/or is reliable.
'Regular' members can post anything, whether they know what they are talking about or not, and there's no or very rare any consequence of being wrong or posting nonsense. So, if you want to be cautious, be cautious always.
This is a real problem, because you can only judge the merit of a post if you know something already about the subject yourself. If you're a total newby on a subject and ask for info, it's hard to separate the corn from the chaff.

jd

It is my experience that moderation does not force members whose contributions are normally valuable to leave.

More likely it is other members shouting them down in flames for no good reason.

Fran

Not always...

I had the experience of a (recently named) moderator derailling a technical debate as he had no clue about what was disputed, but it happened
that he had great admiration for the designer of the circuit.

Rather than answering to mediocrities such as "it cant be wrong as it was built" or "XXXX is a great designer" as arguments to prove a point,
i prefered to leave the debate.

iko

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2008
Not always...

I had the experience of a (recently named) moderator derailling a technical debate as he had no clue about what was disputed, but it happened
that he had great admiration for the designer of the circuit.

Rather than answering to mediocrities such as "it cant be wrong as it was built" or "XXXX is a great designer" as arguments to prove a point,
i prefered to leave the debate.

So you join an international forum with hundreds of active users; do you really expect that only people at your level of expertise will participate in a discussion? Or only people who will debate the way you find it acceptable?

It beats me every time why in the world someone who is apparently very knowledgeable wants so much to convince someone else apparently less knowledgeable of their opposite point of view. The most one can do is state one's opinion with possibly some supporting evidence. It won't work for everyone, so move on if it doesn't. If you really want to find you own type of folk, go to diy-audio-engineering.org, (get syn08 or other engineer to invite you), and you won't have to deal with non-engineers. Or change your expectations of this forum; whether you like it or not , lots of people here are not engineers and don't talk your type of language.
My 2c.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.