Moderation and members no longer around

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Guys,
I still don't know how to spell "that word". I just won't use it then. :)

Hi Ltralus,
:eek:
You are kidding ... right? I mean, really! And on top of that, you really expect everyone to wade through that clump of letters? I have to agree with John here.

Posting clearly (using punctuation, sentences and capitals) shows respect for those around you. Think about that as well. Now, as for the information you have attempted to pawn off as truth, without any basis in fact. You will never be banned for having a different view point than any moderator, which is a good thing since we all have our own ideas. If we did think in the same way, reactions would be swift, so fast your head would spin.

There are two reasons posts disappear beyond the person who posted going in and deleting the post. If the post does not abide with the guidelines we have here, or if it becomes irrelevant because the post it referred to was deleted. I lose many that way.

You know nothing of Andy's situation, and I don't even know much of it. I will say that it was very unfortunate and that at one time, he was both a valuable member and someone I was friendly with. His exit was his idea, we didn't do anything for the fun of it (hardly).

Now, if you do some research, you will see that you can have hosting services inclusive of hardware where I guess the machine is shared. Then, you place your own machine that you paid for and enter into a maintenance agreement for upkeep. I know this from earlier work experience. Ever price servers and software? You know, the real professional stuff. Go ahead, do some research of your own and come back to let us know what you found.

Hi Workhorse,
What is your problem? Want to revisit your history and commercial involvements? I'm thinking you would wish to keep a low profile when one of the complaints on the table are posts from members who own their own business that post in their favor only. Man, you really stepped in it this time, didn't you? :D :cool: Heck! You're even here!! :rolleyes:

All,
Thanks again for all your support. The moderating team exists solely to try and assist everyone where needed, and to clean out the inevitable trash left by those who didn't have good role models growing up. As has been said, there is a ton of stuff that goes on in the background to keep this place running. So much so that there are times the moderators do not have a chance to participate - which is why we all joined in the first place! We do the work because we care for this place and it's members, there is no pay involved. I can tell you that every single moderator here works a great deal for your enjoyment. SY is one guy who really helped me figure out how to do this job, and he has put in far more time and effort than you want to know.

Do you know why we stick together? Misery loves company. :D

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
yeah .

all DiyA Mods are pooftahs , and they deserve permanent ban ;

:rofl:

shall we ask Chris what's his wage as techie , and how many hours a day he's hanging here ..... even not counting how many posts he made , in role of tech support , without paycheck .....

hogwash .

OK - if we look here :
diyaudio.com Estimated Worth $54509.1 USD by websiteoutlook

we can see that daily adds revenue is ~ 10 bucks per Mood Squad member ; even if we count on fact that there are some other paychecks flying to Jason's pocket , there is hardly any possibility that anyone from Team can have a beer every day , with easy money from messing with Diyaudio .

decent hosting can't be found for less than 100$/month . every other story is fairytale

1) Frankly, I don't care if moderators (or anyone else) get paid at present. This forum gives me get information and pleasure at no cost to me. (Unless I choose otherwise)

2) I also don't care if members with commercial interests post, as long as they declare those interests on way or another, even if by identifying their commercial site on their post. I certainly listen to their advice, (usually good), but don't have to act on it. After all, this site is mainly about fun and experimentation. I am unlikely to buy their wares without independent information.

3) Having seen some very aggressive posts, I actually think the moderators are sometimes too lenient.

Ross

Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
Moderators are not paid. Currently Dave (Planet10) is the only moderator with commercial interests, they are well declared and he is a bastion of this forum and acts only with utmost integrity.

Paid subforum owners do not have the right to "Edit other people's posts" and they don't - they have a limited set of moderation powers (thread rename, split, merge, etc), within their forum only, for housekeeping purposes only.

Our hosting and software bill for this year will be just shy of USD10,000 and without donors who contribute to the bulk of that, diyAudio would not exist. The tshirts will work out at about cost price, overall. We make money from adverts that make money for advertisers. Few diyAudio members would spend $10,000 on a cable. Additionally, forums in general and including diyAudio make a fraction of what "regular" sites do per pageview.

As of today, I have not made one dollar from diyAudio, but I hope that this will change in the future and I can invest my time here knowing it's not sending me broke (which it currently is as I'm working on this, and not "paid" work), and I will sleep well knowing that I have done my best to keep commercial activity and bias out of the main forum while doing what is required to keep diyAudio going on the side. As time goes on and we receive constructive critical feedback, we'll find ways to best improve the quality of the forum. Your feedback is always welcome.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Prodanovic,
That's a cool website!
If you look closely at the satellite image feature and zoom in, we are located in the trees.

Why are we in the earthquake zone? Just wondering.

Paid for techie work? That's the enjoyable part of being here. Besides, if I got a paycheck from here, it would be deducted from what I get to live on. To add insult to injury, I would also be taxed on that amount! Workmans Compensation Insurance is what I live on these days and it's no picnic.

Besides, there are many members here who help people out at least as much as I do. Then there are all those who share construction projects - like the Pumpkin for instance. Then they support the project. This place is great due to all the members who make it this way.

Hi Ross,
There are many of you and only a few of us.

Actually, we try to allow some self-moderation. Everyone here is assumed to be an adult and we sure don't want to be baby sitters. There is enough room for other members to be able to step in to quiet things down.

Hi Cal,
You? You're kidding!

-Chris

Moderators are not paid. Currently Dave (Planet10) is the only moderator with commercial interests, they are well declared and he is a bastion of this forum and acts only with utmost integrity.

Paid subforum owners do not have the right to "Edit other people's posts" and they don't - they have a limited set of moderation powers (thread rename, split, merge, etc), within their forum only, for housekeeping purposes only.

Our hosting and software bill for this year will be just shy of USD10,000 and without donors who contribute to the bulk of that, diyAudio would not exist. The tshirts will work out at about cost price, overall. We make money from adverts that make money for advertisers. Few diyAudio members would spend $10,000 on a cable. Additionally, forums in general and including diyAudio make a fraction of what "regular" sites do per pageview.

As of today, I have not made one dollar from diyAudio, but I hope that this will change in the future and I can invest my time here knowing it's not sending me broke (which it currently is as I'm working on this, and not "paid" work), and I will sleep well knowing that I have done my best to keep commercial activity and bias out of the main forum while doing what is required to keep diyAudio going on the side. As time goes on and we receive constructive critical feedback, we'll find ways to best improve the quality of the forum. Your feedback is always welcome.

Dats a shame , a pity more of these cheapskates don't anti-up.. :p

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
You gotta get yourself a cup of coffee, sit back, find your favorite cd, and give it a good listen.

Little, if any of what you just wrote, holds water.
I happen to know a couple of the moderators personally, and would be very surprised, if you could back up any of your accusations, with facts.

Magura :)

I'll strongly second Magura's comment.. I am also quite friendly with several of the mods, and have been active here for quite a long time.

Joined 2000
Paid Member
Dats a shame , a pity more of these cheapskates don't anti-up.. :p

As a forum with a focus on frugality I think it's important to remember that some members genuinely can't spare the change to make a donation (and that's probably why they are here!) and many contribute in a priceless way with their educational and helpful posting, but we don't have a mark of recognition for that (I tried (see post thanks) - there may be more attempts). I see this as a current flaw in the system that will be repaired in the future.

Additionally, there are other untracked ways money can trickle down to diyAudio (such as "tips" from group buys), or just checking out the ads on the site when they are relevant or interesting to you.

Whatever way you contribute to diyAudio, thank you, it's very much appreciated.

Joined 2000
Paid Member
Hello Jason , '

It was tongue in cheek , :p and agree on the contributions made by many , Yes very much so ...

:drink:

Hi A :) Yep, and my reply wasn't directed to you but to everyone - just "putting it out there" as some comments have been made to me recently about the star system and I wanted to make a small public comment about that (thanks for giving me the opportunity to).

Joined 2000
Paid Member
My mistake then. Sorry about the confusion.

Not at all - it's not published information yet. There's a whole stack of information that needs to be published (eg: new forum rules) but is continually being refined, and I take the blame for the lack of its publication as I've had my focus on getting other things ready. These gaps will be closed in the near future now that my focus can head towards "website" experience in general.

I should add some clarification - the Commercial Sector (CS) guys do get what we feel is an appropriate amount of moderation assistance from the moderation team when it comes to things such as conflicts of interest (eg: competitors posting in a CS forum), and in some cases we do things like split threads and put part in the public forum and part in the CS forum, if it makes sense (I believe, such as this very thread). CS owners have financially contributed to diyAudio in order to get their own "space" to promote their products, and while constructive criticism is healthy, conflicts of interest aren't. It's also why the whole CS area is conceptually split from the regular forum. Elsewhere in this thread it was mentioned that there should be a visible cue to let you know you're in the CS area, and I think that makes sense. Please note that this isn't an "official" statement on the topic of CS forum moderation policy (which will be published later), and like most of our policies it's solidifying and developing as we learn (the CS area is only a few months old), but I think it adequately explains the current policy for the time being. Expect an official statement to be published in the near future.

Last edited:
As someone who has no business connections in audio whatever, six years as a moderator, and a year as mod captain, I can confidently and knowledgeably say that this is all absolute rubbish.

What about the situation when a poster starts up a nice juicy thread and it goes for 10 pages or more with lots of controversy. The thread is going along nicely and then along comes poster XXXX who wasn't invited in the first place and starts threatening the original poster with silly childish teacher talk !! Then within a few posts the original poster has been kicked off the forum and thread is killed off :( What's even more pathetic is that poster XXXX makes some sort of derogatory comment as though he knows in advance that the original poster is about to get bumped off :eek:

And to add insult to injury XXXX is a sponsor of this forum and seems to have some sort of weight with the moderators like he has a direct phone line to the White House :(

What is unfortunate about this situation is that someone has gone to a lot of trouble and time to debate an issue and this nuisance poster XXXX sees it as his role to kill off the debate just because he doesn't like the subject material. Surely that can't be healthy for democracy :(

Am I imagining this or do you think I am just being paranoid because I believe this has been a regular pattern in the past !!

regards
Trev

Elsewhere in this thread it was mentioned that there should be a visible cue to let you know you're in the CS area, and I think that makes sense.

Here in Denmark, this exact issue has arisen in the papers as well, as companies has been trying to disguise an advertisement, as a newspaper article, in an attempt to make the reader believe that the praise of their product, is made by a 3rd party.
The solution to the problem, has been to make a law, that it has to be pointed out whenever there is an add in a paper, which could be mistaken for an article.
So at the bottom of each such "article" there is a line stating that it's an add, and is made by the company in question.

In the case of the manufacturers forum, I would suggest that a similar statement is made in the header of each post, pointing out the thread is moderated in the manufacturers interest (just a single line, but enough to make it obvious to somebody whom found the post through google), and perhaps even change the color scheme for the manufacturers section, so people don't slip from the free, to the manufacturers section, without noticing.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.