miniDSP kits, our answers to your technical questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I would like to see the measurements that proves the "not comparable to high end DAC Systems".

Imo its a waste of time and intelligent discussion to debate DAC differences.

Measurement can mean very little.
Nevertheless, I have a high-end speaker rig (except the amp, which is a class-t amp, but very good sounding), and tested it in normal configuration, and then with the minidsp in the audio chain, with all effects bypassed. The sound is very little worse, it would be very hard to hear the difference in a blind test, but it does indeed get a little worse. I've ordered a decent psu, because it will probably improve the minidsp sound, compared to it being powered via...usb :mallet:.
But if one uses the minidigi (not using a second dac then), and the minidsp as active crossover (removing all passive crossover components) there would certainly be a huge improvement compared to using the minidsp in addition to the passive crossover, and having another dac before the minidsp (as it is in my configuration).

Joined 2010
Paid Member
I just answered the question of soundnovice, whether the specs of the DAC used on the miniDSP are comparable to "high end" DACs.
Taking a look to the Datasheet, the specs are a little worse compared to some so called high end DACs (e.g. ADAU1701: THD+N -90dB, AD1853: THD+N -104dB).
This might also be measurable with sufficient equipment ;-)
Whether this says anything about the sound may be discussed by "subjectivists"
As mentioned before, miniDSP works very well and soundnovice should not worry about the used DAC that might or might not be so called "High End".

In my opinion the basics should be done first for a good sounding audio system. Thats the room (furnishing, acoustic treatment,...), the speakers (chassis, crossover, EQ,...) and the interaction of room and speakers (speaker placement, EQ). A simple mic, some (free) software and a flexible crossover and EQ (miniDSP) is all you need (besides understanding) to do really great steps forward! After this it may be worth optimizing the rest of the system (sources, DACs etc.).

digital volume control

just noticed the thread. I did not have time yet to read through all of it, but I will. I recently was almost set to purchase miniDSP, but was REALLY turned off when read on their website that the digital volume control was not an add on for the 2x4 mini (only for the bigger 2x8 version which i do not need at this point and cannot justify the cost). Any comments miniD?

p.s. I will get back with more comments after reading through the thread.

Cheers.

Latency

I gather latency can be anywhere from 1.5-4ms dependant upon filters.So can I assume I will introduce some undesirable results if using the minidsp for midrange to tweeter crossover only duties but using an analog opamp low pass filter for the approx.200hz woofer crossover?The woofer would be equi-distance as the mid and tweet but could optionally be set back 12" or so.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.