Mini-Synergy Horn Experiment

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
a pair of Faital 8fE200's will get down to 60 Hz vented. Lots of 8" drivers out there with more excursion but they all cost more. Don't forget that in a Synergy you will struggle to get response past 1 khz or so if your port is aligned with edge of cone, due to contribution from other edge being out of phase. IIRC you were one of the first to run into that back in the day.

a pair of Faital 8fE200's will get down to 60 Hz vented. Lots of 8" drivers out there with more excursion but they all cost more. Don't forget that in a Synergy you will struggle to get response past 1 khz or so if your port is aligned with edge of cone, due to contribution from other edge being out of phase. IIRC you were one of the first to run into that back in the day.

Yeah I looked at the Faital's but they need a bigger box than I'm willing to deal with. Pro drivers that do what I'm looking for are pretty few and far between but thanks for the suggestion. These will xo around 300hz to the mids. Hornresp sims on the B&C 8bg51 check out but they are $130x4. Looks like a perfect Synergy woofer tho.

My original plan was to make this a somewhat amp friendly passive speaker. That said I've never designed and built a passive xo. I think it'll be cheaper and easier to build a minidsp 2x8 and use my stack of amps. I can run a couple 4ohm woofers parallel no problem. Going that route the 4 ohm 8fe200 looks promising. A couple Dayton rs225(?) look decent in sealed cabs as well but give up about 5dB to the Faitals.

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
My original plan was to make this a somewhat amp friendly passive speaker.
Impedance varies, and amps deal with this in both active and passive designs. The answer is the same in each case: use speaker level components to turn it resistive. There is no need to spare your crossover technique, simply compensate afterward. Some amps will not see the need and some will.

Impedance varies, and amps deal with this in both active and passive designs. The answer is the same in each case: use speaker level components to turn it resistive. There is no need to spare your crossover technique, simply compensate afterward. Some amps will not see the need and some will.

I don't mean to say that going active will magically allow me to get away with any load presented by the speaker, just that was one of my goals if I did go passive. Active has always been my jam might as well stick with what I know. My amps can handle it either way so I'm not going to bother too much about it.

Nate do you know how quiet these Mini's are?

I ask because I need to purchase one. Looked at the 2x4 and 2x8 in a box. Need to finally start putting together my dream speaker. This will be all new to me but at least I will be starting this year for once. :(

I had a couple 2x4 mini's like 8 years ago and they worked well on the crazy inefficient dipoles I was running back then. We will see how they do with the horns. Maybe I will get to it before you.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.