Mini Karlsonator (0.53X) with Dual TC9FDs

The design for the 1197 had been tested and proven. It works very well.

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/ful...onator-0-53x-dual-tc9fds-154.html#post4458490

The 0.44x was specifically designed for 1197, not TC9FD.

505253d1442817944-mini-karlsonator-0-53x-dual-tc9fds-knator-fe103-build-1.png

Thank you so much, I really appreciate it, my dream will come true :)

sov

Joined 2016
Paid Member
I have searched for a reasonable speaker box for my Faital 3FE22 as alternate to a Whiskey tube. This project looked interesting so made an attempt. This is the result. I was very surprised over the sound quality when connected to a ACA channel. I found a spare cloth for covering.
Thank You all for the templates. I had to shrink it down a bit due to board size (700x500mm) but happy with the result.

(bad photo)

Attachments

• 07614D6C-9F99-4751-8276-03A0EC318F40.jpeg
    07614D6C-9F99-4751-8276-03A0EC318F40.jpeg
    374 KB · Views: 15,042
Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Super good looking speaker there, Sov! I really like the patterned fabric covering. Great idea. I might have to make a set like this. That’s good that you shrank the size a bit for 3FE22. It’s got a more powerful neodymium motor and Qts and Vas is smaller, so a smalller cabinet is probably perfect. You have 91dB sensitivity so perfect for a 5W ACA.

Very nice build quality and attention to details - one of the best looking 0.40x Foamcore Karlsonators I have seen.

Congrats!

:cheers:

Enjoying the foam board mini Karlsonator with TCD9 so much. Putting a wood pair together. Amazing sound for under $40 total. I did not expect it. Thanks for people like XRKaudio for keeping things developing and interesting. I would not have tried the Karlsonator if not for this thread. I was gonna build fonks.
One question. Anyone running any type of filter etc. On these? In equalizerepo I bumped up the low end and upper high end very slightly and for my ears I find it cleaned it up through whole range. I wanna run these off a 2 channel 3116 amp not hooked up to pc.

Enjoying the foam board mini Karlsonator with TCD9 so much. Putting a wood pair together. Amazing sound for under $40 total. I did not expect it. Thanks for people like XRKaudio for keeping things developing and interesting. I would not have tried the Karlsonator if not for this thread. I was gonna build fonks.
One question. Anyone running any type of filter etc. On these? In equalizerepo I bumped up the low end and upper high end very slightly and for my ears I find it cleaned it up through whole range. I wanna run these off a 2 channel 3116 amp not hooked up to pc.

I haven't found a driver yet that could be run completely free, either without a passive notch , or active EQ... to my liking anyway.
They are close, but to me, always benefit from some kind of levelling.
I am sensitive to a well balanced FR.

The quest is ongoing....

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member

Glad you like the sound, Joeytvr!

If making from wood, don’t forget to follow these notes for applying damping (link is at bottom of post 1).

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/ful...onator-0-53x-dual-tc9fds-296.html#post5577990

Foam core doesn’t need it, but wood does.

Did you make custom 3D printed jigs for holding the boards in place while glue dries?

Another way is to glue onto a side panel with the shape drawn on it. Use hot melt glue as tacks to hold in place while wood glue dries.