Mine's too big, wife can't handle it

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Error in Post #3

Hi All,

The Hornresp composite in Post #3 had a mistake, now frequency response, duh. Well, here we go again.

Regards,
Oliver.

Attachments

• weldon_selenium_15_th_single.jpg
    weldon_selenium_15_th_single.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 884
Hi djk, to your Post #23:

I assume, that you are addressing my Post #22.
I agree that there are better low frequency drivers, but the question in Post #1 was: "I am using 4 15" woofers in two Altec 210 cabinets. They are too big for me to move around with just one truck. Can anyone suggest a cabinet or cabinets that will house them but be a little smaller and still get me down to 50Hz?" And as Cal started the thread I tried to comply.

As to the Xmax most-if not all-low frequency drivers would be better served, if they where used with an appropriate low cut filter, it is virtually impossible to design a vented enclosure in which the driver will not exceed Xmax (or Xmech) if driven below its design bandwidth. The speaker in Post #22 stays well within its Xmax when driven above the design spec of "...down to 50hz...".

Just more food for thought. :) Here is the displacement for the Selenium from Post #22:

Attachments

• weldon_selenium_15_th_disco_dual_300liter_100w into 8 ohm.jpg
    weldon_selenium_15_th_disco_dual_300liter_100w into 8 ohm.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 680
You are not using the same tuning for both designs, this can be clearly seen at the dip in excursion.

If the boxes are both tuned the same, the 4015LF will have 6.4dB more maximum output capability based on the x-max (9mm vs 4.3mm).

I would build two cabinets for the $180 Difinimax 4015LF and sell the Selenium before I would build twice as many cabinets for the Selenium.

The design in post #23 has 7dB more output in the 42hz region, and is much flatter than the dual woofer Selenium design in post #22.

Hi Guys, thanks again for the input.

When I bought the drivers the Xmax was rated at 6mm, not 4.3 and I can tell you from experience, they move more than the 4.3 before they suffer any sonic concerns. I've noticed Selenium doesn't fudge their specs too much, they're pretty good in that deparment.

The same woofers are being used in the A7 boxes so I think I will stick with the drivers to keep them all the same. I am still mulling over what to do and I thank you for all the input to this point.

Hi Cal

Have you thinked to use a band-pass cabinet for 4 X 15" woofers? You know probably the tremendous UDH of Peavey, which are obsolette of course now. I had 4 original such type subwoofers and i made also 4 clones. For rental of course, not to meet my new neighbours!
I can confirm you that UDH can touch frequencies down to 35Hz with enough SPL to sake-down your liver. It is heavy, but it is smallest in size compared with your Altec or JBL style horns. A usuall truck like a 4 X4 Ford or Chevy or Dodge, can contains 4 UDH.
The advantage (if your wife agree of course :D ), it is that from UDH you can get almost all the energy bellow 100Hz yet in a distance of 1m, instead from your horns you may stay far away at least 5 to 10 meters to get their full energy under 100Hz.
I have the complette plans to build one if you wish.
In the photo (from the web, not mine) you can see a UDH.
Specs:
1) Response: 35 - 250Hz
2) Z configurable: 2, 4, 8 Ohms
3) Power handling: 1400W continuous
4) SPL: 105dB/1W/1m
5) Transducers: 4 X BW1505-8
6) Weight: 280 lbs
7) Dimensions: 41"H X 30,5"D X 30"W

Regs
Fotios

Attachments

• peavey udh.jpg
    peavey udh.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 362
Cal Weldon said:
Hi Fotios,

Thank you for that. Yes I would be most interested in having a look at the plans. Can you post them here or send them via email?

Thank you.

Everything he wish my friend Cal... but tomorrow, because i must do a searching to find them... i have to use them 10 years ago.
I will contact tomorrow again.

Fotios

Hi Cal
I ask your forgiveness for my delayed reply, which caused from that i had only hand made drawings (during 1998 there was not serious PCs and CAD softwares in reasonable prices as well ------ :Pirate: :D , you know), thus i was forced to draw again the plans with CAD. I takes me 10 days to complette the 2D drawings and i have under proccess a 3D drawing, because i think the project is some complex and some people have the need of a more explained view.
Anyway, if you find interesting the project, i leave in you the decision of oppening a seperate thread for this powerfull subwoofer of Peavey.

NOTE!!!: Because in Europe we use currently the metric system, all dimensions are expressed in mm, as well the plywood that i used, was of 20mm thick, insted the 3/4" thick (19,05 mm) of the original speaker. For any detail, as usuall i am available. PDF drawings, are also available, please ask me. In a couple of days i will have ready and the 3D model.
ADVICE!!!: For easiness, the construction it is better to done from inside to outside

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Regs
Fotios

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.